Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What spring weights should I have
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
Learning a bit more about my 75 2.0. One thing for sure is that the ride is hard and bouncy so while adjusting my parking brake I notice the rear suspension coils. On them is stamped Weltmeister and the numbers 41/95 and SP140 so I guess that would tell me the type of spring. Does anyone know if these are the right springs for these cars or has some previous owner put heavier springs in for track racing?
I'm not going to track this car so if these are the cause of the hard ride I will change them out.
Thanks
Dave_Darling
The 140 lb/in springs used to be pretty popular. I'm guessing that's what they are.

They probably combine with the shocks to make for a hard ride. And, of course, contribute to the handling.

--DD
mepstein
I would suggest 100lbs. Nice feel for a road car that doesn't get smooth payment all the time. Tire size, type and pressure also make a difference. And leave out the rear sway bar unless you just cant live without it. .
Krieger
Do you know what type of shocks you have front and rear? I run 140lb rears and stock front torsion bars with koni red shocks. If you have crappy KYB shocks this could be your problem.
JamesM
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 21 2013, 07:22 PM) *

Do you know what type of shocks you have front and rear? I run 140lb rears and stock front torsion bars with koni red shocks. If you have crappy KYB shocks this could be your problem.

agree.gif I have 180lb Weltmeisters on one of my cars and it feels fine, not hard or bouncy, but I am running Bilsteins. I would suspect shocks before springs.
brant
What color and condition of shocks?
porschefile2010
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 22 2013, 03:44 PM) *

What color and condition of shocks?

Thanks guys.
Well maybe here is where I show my ignorance but the shocks look to be black. Original?
The rear ones have a 914 part number stamped on them and looks like the letters BOC. Bit hard to tell. So if they have the Porsche part number stamped on them I take it that it's time for some decent shocks but could use the 140lb springs?
JStroud
I put on new struts and shocks, changed from 200 to 150 lb springs, but nothing smoothed out my ride as much as new bushings, I went with elephant racing poly bronze, but any replacement of 40 yr old bushings has got to help.

Jeff
Spoke
When I bought my 71, the front shocks were shot.

They would compress and rebound once or twice then lock up which made for a very bouncy ride. New shocks in the front solved this issue.
Mike Bellis
I have 220lb rear springs and very stiff front, Bilstein's all around. I love it!

Suspension is very subjective. I enjoy a stiff ride. My car is setup for road racing.

Nobody can really tell you what ride you will enjoy.
sean_v8_914
check the shocks. they might be sticking. 140 is firm on a stock car but should not be stiff. kyb is too stiff for any spring under 140#. 100-140 with a green bilstein is a nice comfortable ride. 140 and above should run a yellow bilstein or koni sport shock
spring rate and damper should go hand in hand
porschefile2010
One thing I have noticed is that with more weight in the car the better it feels suspension wise. So with full fuel tank and a passenger it isn't too bad. Of course weight is slow. So the hard bounce is an unladen problem seeing I pretty much use this car on my own. So maybe lighter springs would do the trick?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.