Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted Photo of 914-6 oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I guess there are two methods.
1- Have the 911 oil cooler changed to a 90 deg fitting
2- Cut he fitting off and use a 90 deg hose.

Does anyone have photos of these mods and with the engine installed. I haven't test fitted the engine yet so I am trying to understand the issue.

Any good conversion web sites out there?

Cheers
brant
this is not a real -6 cooler...
just a modified 911 one:
brant
one more:
IronHillRestorations
If you've got a later oil cooler with the slip on fitting, there's two options that have been used successfully.

What I do if you are using AN fittings, is to cut off the nipple end of the oil tube on the bottom of the oil cooler, flush with the outboard end of the cooler. Then you thread the hole in the tube with a 3/4 NPT tap. Then you screw in a 90 degree aluminum fitting with 3/4" NPT on one end and the correct size AN fitting (which for all the ones I did was a -12AN). I index the tap and fitting so it threads in as far as possible, and bottoms out a the correct orientation.

The other way is to cut off that same oil pipe, under the middle of the cooler, and then use a slip on hose with two hose clamps. I've never done it this way, and haven't seen it in person, but I know of at least three conversions that were done this way.

PM me if you want me to mod your cooler via the first way.
Brad Roberts
I wont swear to it, but It appears Brants cooler was modified by Clewitt Engineering.

B
Kerrys914
Nice photos.. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'll take a photo of my oil cooler an post it soon.
brant
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 30 2004, 09:38 PM)
I wont swear to it, but It appears Brants cooler was modified by Clewitt Engineering.

B

Actually Brad,

thats some of Allen Johnson's handywork, from his one man race shop.

brant
Eric_Shea
Brant,

Will you please stop posting pictures of your car?

Thank you.

w00t.gif
brant
Eric,

how about a compromise..
I could make it my new years resolution.

I want to get some shots of my rear suspension added next week (hope to do some car work this weekend)

brant
Eric_Shea
I want to get some shots of my rear suspension added next week (hope to do some car work this weekend)

And I suppose it will be the same "shoddy" craftsmanship we're used to seeing from you? laugh.gif

Nice ride buddy... smilie_pokal.gif
brant
I hope you will like it..
I know I do..

the rear is trick...
upside down, custom shocks.

brant
Eric_Shea
Before I see any pictures, let me start off by saying:

You suck.

laugh.gif
brant
Hey... on that note I think I'll change the topic again.

I sure would like to meet sometime.
I was in Provo all last weekend, and thought about bugging you until I learned you had company in...

So.. Are we gonna have that multi-state get together this year?

Joe in NM, had talked about something too.. why don't we stretch it from NM/TX and all the way up to Utah?

maybe we all drive to somewhere...
dinosaur park or something?

whatdaya think
brant
Eric_Shea
That would be great!

I wish I would have gotten the 6 tagged in time to do anything. With the snow and all... I think we be done driving this year. We could drive the SUtes though...

If we include the NM folk then we might want to meet in Moab or something. Easy off I-70 for you and a short jaunt up 666 for them. Road trip driving.gif

Do I smell a RRC 2005 brewing? (Red Rock Classic) Here's a cool site I found in the back country by Horrah Pass (45 minutes West of Moab - off road)
brant
wow... beautiful picture..
I was there for the first time only a couple years back..
I love the whole idea...

heck, my wife will even go if its moab..

YES...YES...YES...YES.

Eric, maybe you can drive the RS then and all us teener folk can hold our noses up to you as the lone tail dragger...

somebody needs to pick a date and take the reins.
Maybe Joe will be interested.

I'm going to try to get the NM and other colorado peoples up to speed....

brant
Eric_Shea
I'll drop a T4 in it for the event. laugh.gif
brant
instead of a T4, maybe you can do a 3cylinder geo metro motor...

(once upon a time there were pictures floating around of one of these)...

that way my street car would still be able to keep up with you!

b
Eric_Shea
OK. Can I borrow your Dad? smash.gif

biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 1 2004, 02:52 PM)
Do I smell a RRC 2005 brewing? (Red Rock Classic)

That ain't more than a couple of tank fulls away from Vegas. boldblue.gif driving.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
brant
hell no...

I've got him slaving away, and there is not spare time for interuptions....

brant
Eric_Shea
That ain't more than a couple of tank fulls away from Vegas

There and back... wink.gif
Kerrys914
Back on the original topic smile.gif

I have the later style oil cooler. It has a threaded fitting attached to the bottom of the cooler.

Are my options the same as what was listed on pg1 or do I need to have it modified by someone?

Also, my engine doesn't have the rigid 911 oil lines with it. Any issues with just using a longer hose and new fittings? Where is a good place to get the fittings for the oil lines, NAPA? What do I need?

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Dec 8 2004, 04:49 AM)
I have the later style oil cooler. It has a threaded fitting attached to the bottom of the cooler.

Are my options the same as what was listed on pg1 or do I need to have it modified by someone?

No, you've got a early style oil cooler. The later coolers don't have a threaded fitting, just a flanged tube. If you can find a quality welding shop, see if they could detatch the end of the threaded tube, and bend it 90 degrees (toward the front of the car) and then re-attach it to the cooler.

Did you get my PM about the flywheel and clutch? I've also got OEM style oil lines.

Unless you've got AN fittings, you won't find Porsche type oil line fittings at any NAPA store.
Kerrys914
Thanks smile.gif I thought the early type was a barbed push on type huh.gif DO you have a guy that can do this mod? I'll ask around, maybe a radiator shop can do the work. The oil cooler is made of aluminum right? welder.gif

I think I will be holding off on the new clutch for now. Maybe in the spring but I will keep your info handy for when I do.

Do you make the oil lines? I think my OEM tank has been changed to AN fittings. I need to look closer at the fitting to see which type it is.

I can make A/C hose in my garage and since the A/C system operates at a higher pressure the crimp should be adequate for the oil system. smash.gif smash.gif

I just need to get the correct fitting to crimp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.