Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jet Coil Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
This should be very simple, but all the books and forum posts talk about terminal this # and terminal that #.... my coil has a + and a -. more background I have never started or driven this car, no one has since 2001.

I have rebuilt harnesses from Bowlsby with all his documentation and nothing seems to be STRAIGHT FORWARD, without knowing all the terminal #s. I have a great wiring diagram from Prospero too. That diagram is missing 1 wire to the coil, compared to my wires. So here we go. 1.8 L-Jet Injection:

GREEN wire from the distributor.... + or - on the coil?
single wire from the FI harness.... + or - on the coil?
Single connector with 2 wires from the Ignition Harness.... + or - on the coil?
Single wire from the IG harness.... + or - on the coil?

Signed, a 5th grader trying to drive! hissyfit.gif

Thanks.
pilothyer
Green from distributor to coil terminal 1 or Negative
Black/Purple Tachometer to coil terminal 1 or Negative
Black/Red (switched power) to terminal 15 or Positive
Also in this group of wires from the 12 Position plug on the replay board is the white wire that goes to the AAR and the Red/Green that goes to the oil pressure sensor.......Hope this helps...........Jerry
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 23 2013, 11:21 AM) *
1.8 L-Jet Injection:

-

-

Probably + ; should be black with a RED stripe, and have power when the key is on.

Probably - ; should be black with a PURPLE stripe, and be thinner than the "probably +" wire above.

More details:
The green wire carries the signal from the ignition points. It tells the coil when to fire.
The white wire from the FI harness takes the points signal and carries it to the FI so the FI knows when ignition is happening and how fast the engine is turning.
The black/red wire provides power to the coil.
The black/purple wire carries the signal from the points up to the tach so the tach can tell us how fast the engine is turning over.

--DD
malcolm2
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2013, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 23 2013, 11:21 AM) *
1.8 L-Jet Injection:

-

-

Probably + ; should be black with a RED stripe, and have power when the key is on.

Probably - ; should be black with a PURPLE stripe, and be thinner than the "probably +" wire above.

More details:
The green wire carries the signal from the ignition points. It tells the coil when to fire.
The white wire from the FI harness takes the points signal and carries it to the FI so the FI knows when ignition is happening and how fast the engine is turning.
The black/red wire provides power to the coil.
The black/purple wire carries the signal from the points up to the tach so the tach can tell us how fast the engine is turning over.

--DD

Great, thanks so much.... I was a bit wrong. The single wire from the FI harness was on the +. Jeff's diagram says, "coil" on one page and "coil =1" on the other page which would be -, but I thought he was referring to the ECU connector wiring. Anyone have ideas on the + double wire with a single connector on the Ig harness? What is the 2nd wire in that harness that has not been mentioned?

Strange thing about the coil. In the center hole that connects to the center of the distributor there was no metal. nothing, just a hole. The coil is one thing I never tested, never really looked at until now. And once I got it off the fan housing.... there were markings for 1 and 15. Crazy, I never saw that and once it was mounted I could not see it.

Thanks,

Clark
malcolm2
icon_bump.gif
To see if anyone can tell me about that double wire w/single connector on the +. Why do I have 2 wires here?
JeffBowlsby
Hi Clark, Sorry I was not able to get back to you sooner, I was away for the weekend.

The two wires in one terminal are for N15 per the diagram and the factory schematic. Thats coil+, if you have a factgory coil it has the 15 on on it.
pilothyer
Clark..........This may be of some help to you, it is compliments of Jeff Bowlsby's site. HERE
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 24 2013, 07:49 PM) *

icon_bump.gif
To see if anyone can tell me about that double wire w/single connector on the +. Why do I have 2 wires here?

The two black wires at the + terminal are switched 12v for the coil and for the dual relay. Power has to go to both.
JeffBowlsby
Jim, can you tell us which coil terminal the L-jet FI harness single wire attaches to and post it here? Thx.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 25 2013, 09:10 PM) *

Jim, can you tell us which coil terminal the L-jet FI harness single wire attaches to and post it here? Thx.

The black wire emerges from the 12 pin connector at # 7 (rear of the relay board) and connects to the + terminal of the coil. The connection then continues to 86C on the dual relay.
JeffBowlsby
He needs the coil connection of the single white wire on the FI harness, not the wire on the ignition harness.
Dave_Darling
L-jet has a white wire that connects to the (-) terminal on the coil. That is what sends the points signal to the ECU, letting the fuel injection tell what RPM the engine is running, and also telling it when a cylinder is firing.

--DD
malcolm2
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 26 2013, 09:32 AM) *

L-jet has a white wire that connects to the (-) terminal on the coil. That is what sends the points signal to the ECU, letting the fuel injection tell what RPM the engine is running, and also telling it when a cylinder is firing.

--DD

That is the one. beerchug.gif I knew where the double wire went, but was curious about why I had two wires. Jeff's drawing was the only place I could find a single connector and two wires. That ones is answered too. shades.gif

Thanks for all the input, I believe that gives me enough to assemble properly and troubleshoot. You guys have been very helpful. I did have the FI wire on the +, so that was wrong. The rest were correct. But I guess that's all it takes is 1 wrong to screw it all up.

Any thoughts on possible damage running 12v through that wire vs. the pulse the FI system would get being on the - post of the coil? screwy.gif

I'll try the new coil and the proper wiring tonight.

Thank you, thank you, thanks you!,

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.