Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Fuel Injector Cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Does is matter when fuel injector cleaner is added to the fuel tank?

Before or after an oil change?

What is the best brand?

Our family utility vehicle (2000 MB ML430) has developed an un-even idle. It does not show any CEL (Check Engine Light) or OBCII codes. It has new spark plugs (16!), new MAF, and new Crank Position Sensor. The plug wires all test good. I am a CSOB so we usually use the cheapest gas we can find. Rarely Chevron with Techron.

I am thinking there may be a clogged fuel injector.

Years ago, running a few tanks of gas with Techron added helped my 1991 Dodge Dakota (318ci FI) with a similar un-even idle.

We are getting ready to go on our annual summer trip where we tow our 19ft ski boat about on a 1000 mile trip. I usually change the oil prior to the summer tow.

Add injector cleaner before the trip? Change oil before the trip?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddie
TheCabinetmaker
While you will certainly get an answer or two,
Wouldn't you be better off at a benz forum?
aircooledtechguy
My local Costco sells the Cheveron brand in a 6-pack box for around $16. I try and put one in every 4 to 5 tank fulls or so. I havent experienced any efi issues and it runs smooth. It doesn't matter when as far as oil changes go. How long since the fuel filter was changed? The ethenol in our fuel is a really good cleaner and will wash everything into your filter and clog it up ormat least restrict its flow.
GeorgeRud
Techron was always a favorite back when. I agree that the alcohol does dissolve a lot of crud in the fuel tank.
Drums66
.....I use Techron.....it works! idea.gif
bye1.gif
BajaXJ92
Seafoam.

Do an intake induction cleaning with half the can, and add the rest to the tank.

I use this on ALL of my vehicles that have had fuel injection with positive results.

After you're done with the induction, take the vehicle on the highway and give it hell for a few miles. biggrin.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jun 23 2013, 06:21 PM) *

.....I use Techron.....it works! idea.gif
bye1.gif

agree.gif
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I buy the kids a bottle of redline SI-1 once a year for a treat...you can get it at O'reilly's.
CMONNETT
BG 44K. It's a little expensive, but its good stuff. Use it before an oil change.
partwerks
Sea foam!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.