Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulled Exhaust Studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
Got the car up on stands for a couple of projects - fixing exhaust leaks and routing the heater cable to the hot air valves. Ran into a couple of problems that I hope you guys can help me out with.

When I pulled the heat exchangers, 3 of the 8 studs came out. I am thinking that I should go ahead and replace all 8, rather than just the 3. Do I even need to replace them? Any words of advice? Would blue loctite be a bad idea?
Black22
I'm not sure it matters if they came out (unscrewed). I think you'd have a problem if they stripped out. I'd just screw them back in and torque the exhaust nuts carefully when you reinstall the exhaust.
bigkensteele
Anyone? Blue Loctite or no Loctite? Reuse old studs or new? confused24.gif
brant
did they screw out.... or pull the threads and strip out.

you can use loctite, but its not going to do any good
even the red loctite releases at a few hundred degree's
the exhaust temps of those studs is going to exceed the release temperatures so the product is really not doing any thing....

if they screwed out..
screw them back in

if they stripped out
heili coil or better yet time-sert
(or a step stud too)

bigkensteele
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 25 2013, 05:26 PM) *

did they screw out.... or pull the threads and strip out.

you can use loctite, but its not going to do any good
even the red loctite releases at a few hundred degree's
the exhaust temps of those studs is going to exceed the release temperatures so the product is really not doing any thing....

if they screwed out..
screw them back in

if they stripped out
heili coil or better yet time-sert
(or a step stud too)

They all screwed out. Not that I didn't trust Black22's advice, but a second opinion is always nice.

I guess I will just chase the threads and screw them back in. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.