Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VERY OT: GUITAR PLAYERS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok, so its a shameless plug for myself, because I get 10% of the selling price...... but, I've got an extremely rare, highly collectible guitar up for sale. If it were just another Gibson or PRS, I wouldn't even mention it. This is something you don't see too often.

I remember a post quite some time ago about the many guitarists we've got here, just thought someone might be interested in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Matt
spare time toys
Can you put a pic here because we cant get ebay at work......er... uh ... not that im at work now cool_shades.gif
Jeroen
Wow... an Alembic!
I used to seriously drool over their (extremely expensive) basses
TheCabinetmaker
here ya go
ninefourteener
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Dec 1 2004, 06:23 AM)
Can you put a pic here because we cant get ebay at work......er... uh ... not that im at work now  :shades:

Sure, it's a hand-built 1995 Alembic Orion. It has a 5A flamed Maple top, Active pickups, Ebony fretboard, Mother-of-pearl inlays. In 1995, it sold for at least $4600.

Since then, the damn thing looks like it's never been played. When I say "mint", I mean "MINT". I almost freaked out when I saw it.

If I had the $$ I'd buy it myself. But, X-mas is coming, which is the same reason my girlfriend's brother asked me to sell it for him.
boxstr
My brother in law collects guitars, I emailed him with the auction. Do you excpect it to sell for the $4600 that was paid earlier or are they just needing to sell it for high bid?
CCLINHOTFORTEACHER
Scott S
SWEET.

Here is a pic of my bass player. He had his built a year or so ago. This, combined with his David Eden rig is the best sounding bass rig I have ever heard. Who ever gets that sucker will have something very special.
Depending on the options, $4600 is a steel for that guitar. Spence (my bass player) paid over double that amount. Very cool stuff.
ninefourteener
Nope..... the guy I'm selling it for said he wants a minimum of $1000.

I started the bidding at 1K, with no reserve. Whoever bids highest wins.

And yes.... I've got several very high-end Ibanez guitars, and none of them even compare to the tone of this thing. When I plugged it in, I fell in love with it.

The shitty part is that I could have bought it for $1000... I just don't have the cash right before X-mas. Sucks huh?

There's only one other Alembic guitar for sale on ebay, and it doesn't have the original pickups in it, nor are they active pickups. It ends in 2 days or so. I think people are waiting for that one to end before they start placing serious bids. I hope so anyway.
ninefourteener
So long as we're starting a cool guitar-players thread..... Figured I'd show everyone my favorite axe.

This is my baby..... its a 2000 (first year) Ibanez S 1620 FB Prestige.

Its a solid-body mahogany guitar with a quilted bubinga top. Dual humbuckers, Floyd-rose edge trem, Mother-of-pearl 12th fret inlay and matching Ibanez headstock logo, Rosewood fretboard and the Wizard II neck.

$1700 new in 2000..... worth every penny. beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
oops, forgot the pic
redshift
don't get me started!

M
ppickerell
Please...I am the bestest 914club member and I will give you $1500 cash and a 74 roller that I will pay to ship to you! TAKE IT OFF THE BAY! Ho ho ho and all that...I been real good.....
jr91472
my favorite....give me gibson wub.gif
ppickerell
The best guitars
have whammy bars.....

Is that haiku?
wheelo
Sorry.... Fender ! .... For... Me !

oh, and ... Dean !

oh, and ... Yamaha !

what... I play them all ... !

one at a time....

aktion035.gif
mrobin
just to get this OT a little more OT ,

did anyone see the eric clapton crossroads special on pbs last night ?

pretty impressive bunch of guitar players on stage.
scooter311
"The guitar has MANY names - there's 'axe', then there's 'git-box', then there's, uhh, lessee, well, that's really about it....'

- Either Tom Petty or Brian Setzer, from Simpsons "Rock n Roll Camp" episode

I play so horribly that even if I could afford that Alembic it would be musical murder for something that nice.
One of mine that I really like my old-assed heavy Ibanez S-540 with a ToneZone and a Floyd Rose. It's a USA custom, whatever that means.
Almost bought a beautiful Les Paul, same color, but my little sausage-like fingers couldn't reach around the neck and play any sort of lead past the 15th fret...... Bought a Schecter C-1 Plus instead, in burgundy, fits me nicely and is a looker too.

I did have a new Gibson V though, white/white, but had to sell it to make the closing cost on my house! mad.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Dec 2 2004, 07:20 AM)
One of mine that I really like my old-assed heavy Ibanez S-540 with a ToneZone and a Floyd Rose. It's a USA custom, whatever that means.

Lets see a pic of that USA custom..... I'm a huge hard-core Ibanez fan...... those USA customs draw good money if they are in nice shape.. they're pretty rare (by Ibanez standards anyway)

Personally, I'd LOVE to pick up a Reb Beach model. Every time I see one on the bay worth buying, I don't have the cash. When I've had cash, there are never any for sale--LOL
jim912928
I still pluck away at a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker...and I've owned it since about 1972. Just bought my son a G&L.....sweet guitar.

But both of our loves (son and I) are the drums...me a vintage Ludwig set and him a black Mapex set.

Now I've got him hooked on AX'ing though and he's dumping money into suspension upgrades on his Honda!....god we are into expensive hobbies!
Scott S
Ah....drums. Now we're talkin. (hijack in progress!!!)

Here are some of my collection. I had the clear amber kit made last year by Fibes for a Led Zep tribute side project. I really hated the configuration, so I had more drums made to use it with the normal band. It is currently up for sale. That kick drum is huge - 26 x 16... BOOM!

My Bonham kit....
Scott S
with additional drums....
Scott S
it picks up stage lights great....
Scott S
my usual stage kit.....
Scott S
drivers seat (sorry for all of the pics!)
Scott S
Here is my wierd kit - it is a 1972 North.

(last post - I SWEAR)
scooter311
OK I'm gonna try adding a couple pics of my Ibanez, if it doesn't work, maybe I can email them to you somehow...... It's a 1991 Custom Made, I've never seen another like it. I called Ibanez directly with the serial number, and all they said was it was a 1991, and someone had it ordered this way.
Crap, fatal error.... Let me get them to my work computer and I'll try again tomorrow....
scooter311
tryin' again...
scooter311
Holy christmas crap! It worked! Lookee there clap56.gif
Well, I didn't want my 1st picture post on a 914 board to be of a guitar, I'm sorry!
So here's the second one anyway biggrin.gif
scooter311
ninefourteener
Thats not an S model....... that's a Joe Satriani model.

Nice looking guitar though, whats the switch toward the rear do? Thats unusual. Usually its just the 2 knobs, and the 5-way pickup selector. The JS usually allows you to pull out the volume knob to active pickups.

What the hell does that switch do? LOL
scooter311
Hawdy
The 21st fret inlay says "custom made", and the serial number denotes it as an old S-540? Or as I was told 'a Sabre', which was indeed the Satch type (although it doesn't have the 'JSM' designation anywheres). This one however had an EMG active humbucker stuck in it, and the switch turned it on and off - I chucked the EMG and put in a ToneZone, and kept the switch for toggle-ing the humbucker from single to dual. I figured hey, it was there anyways. The original pots have long been deceased, before I got it, so the push-pull feature is lost too.
I was on an Ibanez BBS after I bought it, and asked around and also called a few places, including Ibanez directly (or Hoshino or whatever it's called....) and was told when new it was around 1100 bucks in 1991 (from the serial number), but because it was special ordered they couldn't tell me anything else. Does that make sense? Do you think it was ordered special, or just a run-of-the mill model?

Either way, it doesn't matter to me what it is, I love it and it sounds great and plays like the dickens.
Or, the Charles Dickens, in keeping with the holiday spirit......

I was in the mood to hack up a guitar 2 yrs ago and bought a cheapo RG350 (love that body style too) and stripped and painted the body bright white, with irredescent blue pearl powder mixed in the urethane cleacoat - it looked awesome. I sanded the neck smooth, even the headstock, and sanded the frets down. It played good, but the stock p-ups sucked. I traded it for a Flextone that I traded for a Marshall cabinet, and now I'm happy.......... I think..........
ninefourteener
Ahhhhhhhh... a "Sabre"..... ok, that makes sense.

In all honesty though..... Ibanez never put an EMG in their guitars..... not that I can think of anyway.

Another thing...... the "custom made" inlay on the fretboard was actually pretty common... both for RG's and S's. When you first mentioned it.... I thought you were talking about the VERY few "USA Custom Shop" guitars that I see on ebay every so often with the really wild paint jobs. Kinda like this one on the bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3765487848&rd=1

Honestly.... sounds like a pretty cool setup. I have a wierd thought though..... Any chance that might be a Satriani model that had a broken neck, and maybe the neck was replaced with an S neck??? The setup you've got there really sounds kind of obscure.

Functional and very cool...... but obscure
ninefourteener
I just did some research..... I'm 99% sure I'm right.

The "sabre" was the same then as it is now..... an "S" model...... like mine

Yours is a Joe Satriani model, with an S neck.

That being true..... I believe the PO had the EMG installed, as well as that switch, both aftermarket.

You've got a frankenstein guitar!!!!

I'd like to hear it..... the setup you've got sounds very decent
Jeroen
ok, time for some REAL instruments biggrin.gif
Bass in yer face

Music Man Stingray and Spector NS4A
the MM is a stoopid heavy piece 'o wood, but nothing sounds a good aktion035.gif
the Spector is very nice, but doesn't come close to the MM
scooter311
Wow cool - thanks for the info!
Yeah, I know about the EMGs, and I know what pickups were supposed to be in it, and this one was put in by a ya-hoo (dumbass PO you can say) - the wiring was all half assed and cut in and out. I sold it on ebay for a small fortune too, yay for me smilie_pokal.gif
I never thought about the neck thing, it certainly could have been replaced - I think that's cool - it feels like it was made just for me. That explains why I've never seen another one like it cool_shades.gif
I'm gonna start looking into recording some stuff, maybe after the holidays. I don't know anything about recording, so my next phase of research will be about what it takes to put ideas down in the computer, and maybe write something. I've got some good ideas, but I forget everything by the time I get together with my friends.

Hey Jeroen, is that MM an Ernie Ball? My first guitar was a BC Rich Warlock and a Kustom amp, with big red-pleated vinyl. It was uuuuug-leeeeeeee.

aktion035.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Dec 3 2004, 10:29 AM)
I never thought about the neck thing, it certainly could have been replaced - I think that's cool - it feels like it was made just for me. That explains why I've never seen another one like it cool_shades.gif

Actually, you're kinda ragging on the PO..... but you've really got a great setup...

1) The JS body feels great, but the original JS necks were designed by the master himself... and they were "tapered" and had some "fat" spots.

2) The neck you have on there is a Wizard II neck.... the slimmest neck on any mass-produced guitar in the world. I think anyway, last time I checked. Same thing I've got.... perfect

3) The original JS pickups have a really bright, tinny kinda sound. Great for speed metal, sucks for anything clean. The TZ you installed is probably a lot better.

Shit..... I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin. What else you have????
DougC
Hey I guess this is kind of on the same subject, but just in case you guys haven't seen my add in the classifieds section....I'm selling a nice Fender tube amp.

Doug C
scooter311
Yeah my bad on harping a little too much - but the last person did have scotch tape instead of solder on some connections blink.gif . Who knows how many hands it went through before I nabbed it rolleyes.gif .
I have a Schecter C1 Plus, neck-thru ( or is it pressed in, I don' t know ) - standard store bought, with Seymour Duncans and a solid tailpiece, and really nice inlays. I had it set up for me by someone local who builds custom guitars, it's perfect. It's a split top,'black cherry', with ivory binding.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprods.htm

go to C series, then C-1 PLus, then Black Cherry

SOOO who knows about retubing an amp? I think I may have to - I have a Peavy combo that someone put J&Js in, and it's starting to get muddy at high volume.

I have a crappy RP2000 that I'm getting rid of for something else, but I don't know what yet. I have too many hobbies, and every time I get into one, another thing comes up so it's taking me a while to get focused - winters here, so I'll be diverting more time to making horrible torturous sounds.

Sorry to keep the OT going, many apologies! I promise I'll have 914 stuff after I get new batteries for my camera. I have door panel pics to post hopefully soon.....
smile.gif
jimtab
Nice looking but I already have a pre cbs Fender and a '69 es335T that I don't play often enough...then there are the accoustics......oh yeah and the original Princeton reverb amp that came with the Fender in 64...great stage amp.
jimtab
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Dec 3 2004, 09:49 AM)
ok, time for some REAL instruments biggrin.gif
Bass in yer face

Music Man Stingray and Spector NS4A
the MM is a stoopid heavy piece 'o wood, but nothing sounds a good aktion035.gif
the Spector is very nice, but doesn't come close to the MM

Jeroen, I would have thought you'd have been a Hollowbody Bass guy, My buddy has a Hoffner(Beatle bass) it's not as good as you'd think.
Eric_Shea
You've shown uncommon restraint Mr. Hendrix laugh.gif
markb
QUOTE(jimtab @ Dec 3 2004, 04:51 PM)
My buddy has a Hoffner(Beatle bass) it's not as good as you'd think.

McCartney says he has a he!! of a time keeping his in tune.

I've got a 69 Gibson-made Epiphone Olympic Special with a 'bucker in it (somebody hotrodded it before I got it). A custom built SG 12 string (I built it myself, had Gene Baker cut the body for me) with 3 buckers. A Taka acoustic 6 and an Ovation acou/elec six. I play mic'd thru an old Gibson Falcon tube amp, and some toys, or a Fender Bassman with a twelve. Been too long since I sat down & played. I ought to do that soon.
Jeroen
I guess the only reason McCartney got that Hoffner bass is because it looks cool (well, it's different biggrin.gif)
jimtab
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Dec 4 2004, 05:56 AM)
I guess the only reason McCartney got that Hoffner bass is because it looks cool (well, it's different biggrin.gif)

No, I think he got that bass because he had a contract with them from the time they were in Germany before they got famous...that's the story I heard. I haven't seen him use one lately on the last tours I saw he had a P bass I think.
Eric_Shea
McCartney says he has a he!! of a time keeping his in tune.

Like he'd know what in-tune was... blink.gif

(think: Linda in the band) laugh.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Dec 3 2004, 12:31 PM)

I have a crappy RP2000 that I'm getting rid of for something else, but I don't know what yet. I have too many hobbies, and every time I get into one, another thing comes up so it's taking me a while to get focused - winters here, so I'll be diverting more time to making horrible torturous sounds.

I use a Digitech RP 14D. It's the 12-pedal effects processor with a built-in tube preamp. Its awesome. Digitech doesn't make them anymore, but you can find them on ebay pretty often

Look for the RP 14D, or the RP 21.... both are really great
ws91420
Actually McCartneys first bass he had was former bandmate Stu Sutcliffe's which he used when Stu left to persue art before dying of a brain hemmorage. Had a Gibson RD Artist Bass , Ovation, Fender Mustang, and a twelve string at one time.
ninefourteener
Ok.... back to the original topic...

It ended up selling for $1376... about what I expected.. maybe a little low.... whatever.

What kills me are the damn selling fees. This is the most expensive item I've ever sold. and ebay charged me like $40 for selling it.

Oh yea... and PAYPAL..... holy crap. They charged me $42 just for the buyer to send me money. Whats up with that? When did they start doing that? Thats bullshit... I don't think I'm going to accept Paypal anymore.

Matt
scooter311
Whoa, I was looking at the RP14s, and almost got one last year. I liked my RP7, and sorta miss it. I'm checking out an RP20 next week. Valve section there too. I think there are a bunch of processor upgrades for it as well. (Probably for all the RP stuff I'd suspect). Ever use the 20 series?

I called a local repair shop, and explained to them what was happening with my amp - they told me the tubes are probably OK, but something about my 'bias'?...... I know thay need to really have it there to test it, but what do y'all think? I tried understanding how amps worked once, but I got confused, gave up, and worked on my car instead.

Yeah, where is the Mster? I don't think he's posted in a while anywhere......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.