Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tig Welder Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
Hey all,

I am gearing up to get a welder. welder.gif

If I do Mig it will probably be a 175-210amp welder with infinite controls. My guess is a setup will run around $700-1K, a lot less if I do the 4 position control. Like a lincoln 175Plus, Millermatic 175 etc.

I am right in Tig territory now

DC inverter (not aluminum capable) welders run from 500-1600 depending on the options. Very flexible units with a ton of controls on the higher end models.

AC/DC units can do all metal, however Stainless welding setup looks painfull (backgassing and shrouding the area for argon flooding). This is where I think I am heading.

Thermal Arc Pro-Wave 185 5-185Amps around $1700. Has pulsing, square wave balance, slope, repeate and spot controls, comes with amptrol, solenoids and gas valves - ready to weld.

Lincoln Precision Tig 185 7-185Amps, around $1700. Pusling, balance control, amptrol solenoids and gas valves - ready to weld.

Esab Heliarc 161 Tig 10-160Amps, around $1700 pulsing, balance control, amptrol, solenoids and gas valves - ready to weld.

HTP Invertec 201 Tig 4-200Amps, around 2,200, has all the gadgets, Out of the price range I am shooting for.

Hobart, Miller and Lincoln all have cheap (around 1,200) AC/DC Tigs but they all start at 30Amps, most do not have pulse, fans, gas control, wave balance.

My questions are this, how often do you weld with TIG where you need under 30Amp output? I know all the gadgets can help make great repeatable welds, but for the cost is it worth it? Lastly, from my choices of AC/DC welders (in the 1500-2K price range) what do you think? Am I limiting myself on output amperage (Migs have charts for this and is easy enough to figure out, but not for tig).

What am I welding? Starting off on doing repairs on my car, then who knows what. I know Mig is fast, relatively cheap (and honestly will do anything that I really need it to do) but I have the Tig bug. I know that Tig will take a lot of practice (so will MIG), that's fine. I also know that 1 welder will not weld everything and I am trying to get the most flexibility out of the one I buy. This will be my first welder. Thinking of this being my first unit, my thought was to go cheap mig and see how I do, then upgrade later if I really am getting into things. However, I have the cash now to get a really nice setup - descision time. Help Me!
Downunderman
There's nothing I weld at less than 30 amp. I use a Fronius single phase 220 amp unit and weld all sorts of stuff inc aluminium (spelt the correct way) but don't think I have ever been over 160 amp even welding cylinder heads. If I was doing a lot of body work I would get a cheap mig as well.
Jake Raby
In the Tig world there isonly one I would consider and thats the one I have...

Miller Synchrowave 250..... I paid 2600 for mine at a deal

A tig is not the best welder for general work, a Mig is much better for that. I got mine for welding heavy castings and cases so I needed a great set up for that. The watercooled torch makes things nice to the fingers as well...
TravisNeff
Hey I can even say aluminumimunuminumium right.... wink.gif

I agree that a Mig will do everything that I need it to do, I am stuck in the "wanna" stage. Ok, so nothing less than 30 amps, that puts the AC/DC hobart into the picture at 1200.00 (no options).

I do have the synchrowave 250 in my list, can get one without the cooler for around 2200. States pulsing optional (I imagine that is a $500 setup).

There is always the option to get a power supply that will to Mig, Tig and Stick. I found a used 400amp DC unit with a wire feeder box for about 1300, tig torches/setup would add about $700.

Hmm, back to my list of Migs - and still Tigs.
cha914
I am with Jake...I have the miller 250 syncrowave, bought the bundle deal (tig runner or something like that) cooler, cart, torch pedal, all for a little over 3K I think, I think I saved a couple hundred getting the package deal, plus you are ready to weld. Mine doesn't have the pulse feature, but I imagine I can add it later if I want, don't really see needing it though unless I start doing production work. Right now I can weld stainless and alum just fine.

My suggestion to you is to take a welding class at the local community college. Thats what I did, and learned how to GAS, MIG and TIG weld, you get to play with all the machines, and the total cost was 150bucks and all you have to supply is some welding gloves. It was after this class that I really wanted a TIG, and these millers put the power down so smooth tongue.gif

However, I ended up buying a Miller 175 mig for my workhorse and probably use it more than the TIG right now, but it all depends on what you are working on.

I have welded very few things below 30amps, but I have welded a few things at 250+ amp, either way, its hard to go wrong with the millers...

Good luck,

Tony welder.gif
Jake Raby
There is nuttin like a Miller.....

I have welded on an old (real) coke can with mine on 10 amps before just to see if I could do it... Gotta try that Tony!

I don't have pulse on mine, ecause I normally only use it on aluminum and thats mostly for fill work and etc to port manifolds and change their shapes a bit..
restore2seater
I don't know if this is completely off topic but has anyone tryed this type of wire before? 20 Gauge
On other websites for car restoration it's getting mostly positive response. They use it mostly for welding in patches for body panels.
TimT
Miller Synchrowave 250..... I paid 2600 for mine at a deal

agree.gif werd

I have a synchrowave also, you can get wire feed attachments if you need a mig welder. I use it mainly for aluminum, even on thin alum i use over 30 amps. My hands arent steady enough to try a coke or beer can LOL

I have a Lincoln weldpac 100? that i keep in the trailer.
TravisNeff
I just went to a local welding supply house and talked with a few different folks. They told me Mig was the only way to go for my immediate need. Even tried to talk me down to a 135 from a 175. I asked about the variable output, infinite vs. 4 selector. He said the difference is minimal, go for the bottom end unit and go. Hmmm. I can get a hobart 140 real cheap, lincoln 135t for almost as cheap - or Miller. 560 for a 135 and 660 for a 175 locally.
TimT
FWIW Lincoln, and Hobart are pretty much the same company (or is it lincoln and miller?) anyhoo you wont go wrong with any of the big 3
cha914
Miller and Hobart are the same...basically...the hobart doesn't have the infinite control the miller does...

I would go with either the Lincolin or Miller 135 to get you started, you will be able to weld thin stuff fine, and do up to a 1/4 inch in one pass, and plug into andy 110 outlet...I say go for the infinite adj because I have used a craftsman and a hobart MIG that didn't have it and there were situations where I couldn't get as good of a weld due to being either too hot or too cold.

You can get either the lincolin or the miller for 500ish all day long, probably cheaper for a floor model at your local welding supply house...you can't go wrong with either...oh and spring for a bottle with the welder so you don't have to use flux wire...much nicer welds with gas.

Good luck,

Tony
rick 918-S
I really miss my welder! Some of you may recall mine was stolen during the final push to make the WCC 04. mad.gif I have a
$ 1000.00 deductible. I had a snap-on (Century) It could weld aluminum wire as well. A replacement welder would run about
$ 3000.00. I'm taking the tax write off. I ended up filling my cowl to fender seams with an aluminum body filler. It lasted about a month then cracked.

I had a friend borrow a Hobart Beta Mig for a while but it was failing badly. Now In welder-less again. sad.gif I've got a butt load of welding to do! I've been looking for a do-all machine. I really want an AC tig for aluminum. But I really need a new mig! I haven't found a machine that will tig aluminum and run mild steel wire! I have to pick! I can't decide! confused24.gif I hate it!
I just want my old welder back! mad.gif F@#%'en theives! ar15.gif
andys
Ditto on the Miller Synchrowave 250. Think I paid $2500 for everything, but that was a number of years ago. I brought it mainly for it's diversity. Thick to thin materials, and various alloys, etc. Great for fine work. I recently had an opportunity to weld some 1/8" aluminum using the Lincoln 185 TIG. I was surprised at how good it was, even with it's limited controls. I have a neighbor that has two older used TIG welders for sale (one is a Synchrowave 300); don't know much about them. PM me, and I can hook you up with him if interested.

Andy
Brett W
I bought the miller 175 for 931$ out the door. Bottle, welder, and 10lb spool of wire. I own all of it. I also love it. Now I have used Lincolns, Century, Hobart, and Miller. I like the Miller best. The Century is a throwaway welder.

I have full time access to a Miller Syncrowave 250. I will own one of those or the 350. Can't beat it for the money and value. If you want to do aluminum get a Spool gun and use a mig machine. It will weld aluminum also. You can weld stainless as well with a MIG.

Guys, if you haven't tried it, you gotta try the Coke can. I welded two of them together without too much trouble. Can't really weld on the Anodized sides, burns right through. Also make sure you clean the inside really well.
IronHillRestorations
Funny how these posts just work out. Today I ordered a Miller 175 from Indiana Oxygen Co www.indianaoxygencompany.com They are selling them on eBay, and you can order "off eBay" also. $704.86 or something like that, with a cart, free shipping, best deal I found. Miller is the only one at this output that has infinitely adjustable voltage & wire speed, which I find a little better for resto/rusto work. You can also add a spool gun for aluminum MIG.

I've got a Hobart Handler TIG, and it works OK. It's the cheapest way to get into a decent TIG, but if I had to do more TIG welding, I'd spend the extra money and get a Miller Syncrowave.
TravisNeff
I am headed to the local miller dealer here and picking up a 175. Should be $660 and about 120 for purchasing a filled argon mix 55 bottle! Let's see if I can beat your price, prolly by only a few bucks after tax. I'll have to make a long assed 220 extension cord, have an outlet on the backside of the house and I gotta get it around to the garage. I can get the recepticals at the welding store and the monsterous cable at Home Depot for about a buck a foot.
silver2.0
I also have the miller 250 tig. Mine has the optional cooler though. I have welded up to 200 amps on occasion, it comes in handy, but usually your up to about an inch thick by then. Stainless you will find is easy as can be, but aluminum is an art form.
Series9
I have a Lincoln TIG Pro 175 Squarewave. I love it.

I've done steel, aluminum and stainless. The welds are beautiful and clean. I could have never done my project without it.

I think TIG is definitely the way to go.
jwalters
ohmy.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif You should just use what we do in the jet aircraft industry---a stonking huge gas blaster torch and filler rods-------get proficient with that and you can weld anything.[COLOR=blue] beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
TravisNeff
914RS, you are saying that your TIG was used on your whole project?
Series9
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 2 2004, 10:00 AM)
914RS, you are saying that your TIG was used on your whole project?

Yes. welder.gif
TravisNeff
Dun..

I was going through the motions last night on that Miller 175 Mig unit, still want a TIG. 914RS' comments were good enough for me on using a tig for the car (granted some projects will be tough and tedious).

So I did it.. THERMAL ARC PRO-WAVE 185 TSW TIG STICK WELDER WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aktion035.gif

I got it from http://www.indianaoxygencompany.com/ as suggested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3856054252

Has most all (if not all) of the goodies that others have commented on and tons less than the miller Squarewave 250 unit, albeit at 70 less amps. Have read some BBS strings on various sites about it and it appears to be a fine welder for the money.

AC/DC CC Tig Stick and Pulsed Stick 230V (40Amp)
Inverter design makes it only 42lbs, draws less amps at full tilt than the big units at idle.
5-185Amps Output
185Amps/17V at 30% Duty Cycle
160Amps/26V at 40% Duty Cycle
100Amps/14V at 100% Duty Cycle
38Amp draw at rated load, 1.6Amps no load

Tig Lift Start
HF Start
True Square Wave AC Output
Pulsing

Spot, Repeat and Spot functionality
Pre Flow 0-1.0 second
Post Flow 0 to 60.0 Seconds
Hot Start 0-70A
Up Slope 0-15.0 Seconds
Spot Time .5 to 5.0 Seconds
Pulse Width 15-80%
Pulse Freq 0.5 to 500Hz (.05 to 20Hz in 0.1HZ Increments, 20-100Hz in 1Hz Increments, 100-500Hz in 5Hz Increments)
Wave Balance 10-65%
Down Slope 0-25.0 Seconds
Crater Cur. 5-185A
Digital Meters for Weld parameters and weld current when welding (w/8 second hold)
Digital Meters for Amps and Voltage
Digital Meters for self diagnostics
Intelligent Fan Control
Electrode holder for Stick
Tig Torch
Regulator and hose
Foot control
Voltage Reduction Device, which reduces OCV when the power supply is not in use
Sammy
In my shop I have a miller 330 A/BP tig machine and a miller pulstar 450 mig.
Major overkill but these things get used constantly and they don't complain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.