Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Targa top options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
synackack
Hi,

Short time listener, first time caller.

I have a targa top, with windows in the top.

This top does not fit into my trunk, so if I'm tooling around with the top down - going fast is my only current option to prevent getting wet.

Are there any options for temporary tops? Other than a tarp?

Thanks,

Tom.
JawjaPorsche
You could purchase another top. Put out a WTB in classifies. Be sure to give your year because they are different.
914itis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Show us pics of the top
TheCabinetmaker
Do you mean like house or rv windows? Pics please.
sixnotfour
flag.gif
speed metal army
A bikini style would be cool...Like I had for my old CJ5.
synackack
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 25 2013, 11:08 PM) *

flag.gif

How'd you know?

Yes, that's the car that I have. Just offloaded it this weekend. Restoring it to it's '86 glory.
euro911
Decent, unmolested tops aren't too hard to come by and fairly inexpensive, if you're patient.

I've had the idea of a folding frame with a canvas top for a long time ... may get around to actually fabricating one some day idea.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 25 2013, 11:20 PM) *

Decent, unmolested tops aren't too hard to come by and fairly inexpensive, if you're patient.

I've had the idea of a folding frame with a canvas top for a long time ... may get around to actually fabricating one some day idea.gif

Like this one biggrin.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 25 2013, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 25 2013, 11:20 PM) *

Hey! Radness! A thin version I can roll up and stash easily would kick some ass!
euro911
Garold, do you have any 'structural' pix of that? It looks very similar to the vision that's been floating in my gray matter.

Several years ago, I noticed another 914 in the parking lot at work. It had an nice aluminum surf rack that utilized the stock targa attachment points. I left the guy a note to call me. Ends up, this fellow employee has a lot of innovative ideas and other modifications on the car as well.

In any event, I told him that the way he had his rack mounted was the same method I was thinking of, except for attaching a fold-up scissor-frame for a canvas roof idea.gif

I kept at him to join NARP and World, and after a couple of years, he finally did join up ... Mike (Ruby914).
dfelz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 26 2013, 01:24 AM) *

aluminum surf rack that utilized the stock targa attachment points.

Pictures Please!!!!
GaroldShaffer
Pictures later today, it is in storage and it is raining like crazy here right now. This came on my brother in laws 914 I found for him back Jan of 07. I found one other picture on my PC from the day we picked it up. More detailed pics later.

synackack
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 26 2013, 08:45 AM) *

Pictures later today, it is in storage and it is raining like crazy here right now. This came on my brother in laws 914 I found for him back Jan of 07. I found one other picture on my PC from the day we picked it up. More detailed pics later.

Ok, that's exactly what I was thinking. Something that could be folded and stored in trunk.

The front on my car is useless, it's full of battery, radiator, oil cooler, fuel pumps, fuel tank. The rear is nice and carpeted, but too narrow and too shallow for the hard top.

Click to view attachment

Ignore the garage, I need to clean it. I'm packing up all my squirreled away 2002 parts.

There's the existing hard top. Works fine, could use some weather stripping replacement around the door & top.

So, is the attachment hardware for the targa top hard to come by? I would imagine a front/rear frame made out of aluminium and simple tensioner would be good enough for canvas.
monkeyboy
Is it caged? The stock top went in the rear trunk.
euro911
He's got a Twin Turbo V8 stuffed in it, Jim aktion035.gif
GaroldShaffer
Ok stopped raining long enough to take few pics. This top is made so that the rear stays attached to the targa bar and can be rolled up to give you the open top feel off the 914.

First pic is the top rolled up.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next two show the how the rear is built. It uses the rear part of the targa cut down to just past where the rear latches catch. He has a "clip" mounted tha will hook around the back side of the targa bar to help hold it in place.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next pic shows it rolled out on top of a regular targa top.
Click to view attachment

Next pic shows the front. It uses the front half of a targa top just before where the latches mount. The middle has a handle mounted plus a bar that rotates out to give the center support when the top is closed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Last pics show that a long spring is mounted between the front & rear sections along the side window which is sewn in the canvas top and has a flap that goes along the inside & out of the side to help keep rain out.
Click to view attachment
rnellums
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 26 2013, 08:25 PM) *

Ok stopped raining long enough to take few pics. This top is made so that the rear stays attached to the targa bar and can be rolled up to give you the open top feel off the 914.

First pic is the top rolled up.

Next two show the how the rear is built. It uses the rear part of the targa cut down to just past where the rear latches catch. He has a "clip" mounted tha will hook around the back side of the targa bar to help hold it in place.

Next pic shows it rolled out on top of a regular targa top.

Next pic shows the front. It uses the front half of a targa top just before where the latches mount. The middle has a handle mounted plus a bar that rotates out to give the center support when the top is closed.

Last pics show that a long spring is mounted between the front & rear sections along the side window which is sewn in the canvas top and has a flap that goes along the inside & out of the side to help keep rain out.
Click to view attachment

Garold, would you consider making and selling a recreation of these? Sewing up the top can't be much harder than making one of those fantastic service covers.
mepstein
interesting but sort of goes against the clean and simple aspect of the targa top.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 27 2013, 08:24 AM) *

interesting but sort of goes against the clean and simple aspect of the targa top.

While I agree, but some here have a modified car and have no room in the trunk to store their top.

And Ross..............Um NO. smile.gif
euro911
Thanks for the pix, Garold smile.gif
synackack
Thanks for the top Garold!

I asked my wife about sewing canvas, once I get new paint on the car this may be another project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.