Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil tank hole saws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Anyone have the hole saws needed to cut the holes for a six oil tank? I figure they are something you will not use too many times.

What are the sizes of the holes and do you want to get rid of them wink.gif

beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
If someone doesn't respond by the time I can. I don't recall, but I will check. There are three sizes needed. One for the oil filter, one for the oil neck and one for the breather/pressure line. When I bought mine, I just came in 1/4" or so from the raised circles. Worked great.

I just bought cheap hole saws and you know, after like 6 conversions, they still work. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Yup...cheapy hole saws for doors work.
Kerrys914
I would have thought the door hole saws would have dulled up? I have a crappy set of hole saws and they dulled cutting my antenna hole?

Will the variable hole saw work? I have see one that is adjustable.

Thanks
Root_Werks
By the time I am done drilling holes, my 3/8 drill is smoking, no kidding. I use the hole saws that screw onto a drill bit individually. Honestly, they are big teetheded too. biggrin.gif I think they are meant more for wood? Don't know, didn't care. They litterally throw metal shavings all over the place when I cut. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good brand? Lowe's doesn't carry them anymore. Wait, it was Eagle when I bought them. sad.gif
Trekkor
I have a set of the Milwaukee hole saws. They are bi-metal and have sharp teeth like a sawzall blade.

I think I have all the sizes needed except the filter hole.
for that one I will use the Dremel or a jigsaw.

KT
Eric_Shea
Plagerized...

The installation of the oil tank requires you to drill seven holes in the side of your engine compartment. Fortunately, all 914s have indentations in their sheet metal where the holes are to be drilled. If you look on the side of the wall inside your 914, they are located just above and below your relay box. The holes that must be drilled require a set of hole saws:

4" to 4.5" for the oil filter
2" for the breather hoses
2.5" for the filler neck
1.5" for the 2 hole return line holes.

On early cars, there is a hole already drilled in the engine shelf of the 914 (covered with a plastic plug in most cases).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.