Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my new muffler...should sound pretty good :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
for my /4, the single chamber flowmaster is too loud for me, this new one will still be louder than a stock 914, but it should be a good comprimise smile.gif
MartyYeoman
Mike,
Do you have any pictures taken from the other side.
I'd like to see the flange setup fro the left heat exchanger.
Marty
Mueller
Marty,

sorry, I am running a European Racing header....

my exhaust looks like this one here except mine is black ceramic coated instead of silver

IPB Image
MattR
How much did that setup cost you?
Mueller
header and muffler are close to $500 or so I think, better off calling and asking, I traded parts with Brad for the header ...muffler was less than $100 including shipping
MattR
Do you know if brad still has any of those headers? And how loud is that setup? is it still streetable?
Mueller
you can buy 'em brand new from Brad or straight from European (see vendor section)....I got it used from Brad, as far as I know, he has no other used headers, pretty rare for them to be taken off and replaced

not too sure how loud it will be now, I have not installed the new muffler yet....with the flowmaster it was not so bad while driving it, but I know it was loud when behind the car when I was tuning it up....I want to say George @ European quoted 88 decibels for the new muffler...legal for Lagana Seca and just about everywhere else
Demick
Mike

I can't keep up with your projects. What are you building? I know you put a 1.8 (or was it a 1.7) into your 914 last weekend. I also know about the watercooled VW engine you were working on converting (VR6?). Now you are building an engine with 2.0 flat topped pistons and you have this European racing header. You've got so many things going I can't figure out what you are actually building!!

Demick
Mueller
Hey Demick....

the new muffler is for my '73 w/1.8 (and D-jet to add to the confusion wacko.gif )motor that I picked up last weekend...the only exhaust I had is the header, so I figured I'd use it

the VR6 engine is in my '74, I just have to fabricate the motor mounts now and finish the wiring

the 2.0 engine is partially at Jakes and at Brads....once I get all the parts back from Jake (he is balancing everything), the motor will be sold as is and unassembled so that the new owner can put it together as they wish (nice parts:ARP case studs, ARP head bolts, ceramic lifters, type I oil pump, 94mm euro-spec flat-top pistons, freshly rebuilt 2.0 heads...it supposed to have one of Jakes "secret" cams, but that might be kept by him until the new owner knows what they want to do with the motor)
Demick
Thanks for the update. I didn't even know you had two 914's now!!

Demick
Mueller
QUOTE(Demick @ Dec 1 2004, 03:30 PM)
Thanks for the update. I didn't even know you had two 914's now!!

Demick

my wife does not know that as well ohmy.gif

she does not come home for another week so I still have time to figure "something" out biggrin.gif
nebreitling
i run that muffler with a ERH. it's a little quiet and "muffled" until it gets a few hours on it. then it gets a little more throaty and raspy. still, it's not obnoxious by any means (i'd prefer a bit louder for the complete boy-racer image).

good luck with the wife...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2004, 03:39 PM)
i run that muffler with a ERH. it's a little quiet and "muffled" until it gets a few hours on it. then it gets a little more throaty and raspy. still, it's not obnoxious by any means (i'd prefer a bit louder for the complete boy-racer image).

louder than a carbed car with a bursch?
nebreitling
once it's broken in, it's just a bit louder in it's exhaust note than HE's and Bursch w/ FI, i think. also with a slight "boom" resonance off idle which sounds scary in a parking garage. but again, not unreasonable.

will find out soon what it sounds like with carbs...

aaron, get headers from brad with your special status. you'll like them a lot.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2004, 03:45 PM)
once it's broken in, it's just a bit louder in it's exhaust note than HE's and Bursch w/ FI, i think.  also with a aaron, get headers from brad with your special status. you'll like them a lot.

im working on it... but i sorta need heat tho <_<
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 1 2004, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2004, 03:39 PM)
i run that muffler with a ERH.  it's a little quiet and "muffled" until it gets a few hours on it.  then it gets a little more throaty and raspy.  still, it's not obnoxious by any means (i'd prefer a bit louder for the complete boy-racer image).

louder than a carbed car with a bursch?

totally different sounds due to the carbs....carb'd cars (or FI with individual throttle bodies) are usually louder due to the intake charge
Aaron Cox
is there ANY WAY to get heat tho...? need defrost
cha914
I think you will like the sound, thats what i have on my car also. Its got a good rasp to it, not annoying, but sounds really good when you get on it. I have a vid of me at an autox at home, if someone wants to host it, I will send it out. The back straight went right by the camera and so you get a good idea of what the car sounds like at full song tongue.gif

Tony

driving.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 1 2004, 03:50 PM)
is there ANY WAY to get heat tho...? need defrost

it's not rocket science you know !!!!

look at how the factory does it on the heat exchangers, then look at the headers, figure out what is different and mimic/duplicate it smash.gif
Rgreen914
Last year, I bought a system almost identical to that one off ebay; it was sold by European Motorworks in Hawthorne. Don't know if they still make/sell it anymore but I seem to remember paying around $250 for the complete system; the bracket that holds the muffler is different and the merged collector is held to the primary tubes with springs. It came covered in some sort of zinc plating that had to be blasted off before the ceramic coating could be applied (another $100) to the stub tubes, pipes and muffler. Some day I might even install it but right now, I'm thinking of installing a pair of NOS heat exchangers that I also scored on ebay and then had ceramic coated. I keep collecting parts for the car but have lately lacked the motivation to go get the car at the mother-in-law's and drive it home to work on it (it's only the wife and me and the teener is our #4 car). That's what retirement and winter will do to you!

Ron
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif Hey man, I must say that those headers do look awesome!!! beer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Dec 2 2004, 02:29 AM)
Last year, I bought a system almost identical to that one off ebay; it was sold by European Motorworks in Hawthorne. Don't know if they still make/sell it anymore but I seem to remember paying around $250 for the complete system; the bracket that holds the muffler is different and the merged collector is held to the primary tubes with springs. It came covered in some sort of zinc plating that had to be blasted off before the ceramic coating could be applied (another $100) to the stub tubes, pipes and muffler. Some day I might even install it but right now, I'm thinking of installing a pair of NOS heat exchangers that I also scored on ebay and then had ceramic coated. I keep collecting parts for the car but have lately lacked the motivation to go get the car at the mother-in-law's and drive it home to work on it (it's only the wife and me and the teener is our #4 car). That's what retirement and winter will do to you!

Ron

you probebly bought the header I sent back to them, I didn't care for the quality and the stub pipes looked like they had been fabbed by a 5 year old
Mueller
ahhhhhh, much nicer now with the new muffler, i don't feel bad letting the car idle in the driveway at 10pm smile.gif

engine needs a tune up (missing and bucking a bit) so i didn't get a chance to flog it to see how it really sounds when I open it up...
MXMARK
Mueller, I have one of these on my 2.5l 4. I like the way it fits and sounds. Mark biggrin.gif
McMark
Right on! I can't wait to hear it on Sunday. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.