Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case numbers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motolitho
Recently purchased a 1973 2.0 but I cannot confirm the engine. I am confused by the fact that there are no numbers in front of the oil tower OR where the 1.7 numbers should be. Has the large square airbox (seems to be intact fuel injection)... can anyone explain the 3 or 4 intake bolt thing to me? How do I tell what I have?

dry.gif
stugray
3 bolts on the intake manifolds means a 2.0L head.

4 bolts = 1.7 or 1.8.
You can have 4 bolts and still have a 2.0L engine if the PO added bigger jugs.

can I ask what/where you bought yours?
And welcome to the front range 914-insane asylum.

Stu
motolitho
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 26 2013, 10:06 AM) *

3 bolts on the intake manifolds means a 2.0L head.

4 bolts = 1.7 or 1.8.
You can have 4 bolts and still have a 2.0L engine if the PO added bigger jugs.

can I ask what/where you bought yours?
And welcome to the front range 914-insane asylum.

Stu

Picked it up from a dude in Ft. Collins... I have a previous post with pics. Runs pretty good, pretty rough hell hole, floor pan welding. Really bad black (rattle can) paint job.

Thank you, I am working on getting set up on the Yahoo forum, but I had an account years ago and can't remember password stuff. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys if you ever do.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(motolitho @ Jun 26 2013, 09:03 AM) *

Recently purchased a 1973 2.0 but I cannot confirm the engine. I am confused by the fact that there are no numbers in front of the oil tower OR where the 1.7 numbers should be. Has the large square airbox (seems to be intact fuel injection)... can anyone explain the 3 or 4 intake bolt thing to me? How do I tell what I have?

dry.gif

The 3 or 4 bolt intake manifold method of identification refers to the number of studs used to fasten the intake runners to the heads. All '72-'79 bus engines, all T4s, all 1.7s, and all 1.8s use 4 studs to secure the runners, 2.0 914s and 912Es use 3. Look below and on either side of the injectors for the nuts. Another easy thing to check is the location of the spark plugs. 2.0 914s and 912Es have the spark plugs mounted next to the intake runner mounting flanges, low on side of the tin. All other T4 engines have the access holes on the top of the tin.

By "airbox", I'm guessing you mean the air filter housing. The term "air box" is used to designate the mass air flow sensor on the 1.8 914s and 1.802.0 bus and T4 VWs and 912Es.

The Cap'n
SLITS
Stu,

You forgot the 2.0L Bus engine ... it will have 4 stud heads like the 1.7/1.8

Inside the rocker box, the heads will have a number:

'72 - '73 1.7 = 021 101 371J or 021 101 371Q
1.8 = 021 101 371H or 021 101 371S

'76 - '78 2.0 Bus (type 2) = 022 101 372G

914 '73 - '76 = 039 101 371A *** '75 - '76 heads will have the air injection hole into the exhaust port but still carry the same part number.

Hi John ... ya beat me to it!
motolitho
Is it odd that there are no numbers?
SirAndy
QUOTE(motolitho @ Jun 26 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Is it odd that there are no numbers?

If i remember correctly, replacement engine cases from Porsche were not stamped.
idea.gif
Dave_Darling
I also believe that 912E engines were stamped on the fan shroud somewhere.

Haynes says that some of the 1.7 engines were stamped on a boss on the side of the motor. More were on the boss on top, right-rear quadrant (that's as mounted in a 914). Many of the VWs and the 2.0 914s were stamped in front of the oil filler.

Here's a pic of the two common locations:

IPB Image

Hot-linked shamelessly from the tunacan.net/t4 website.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
Just to make things even more fun, '72 bus motors had the numbers stamped on the fan shroud ........................

The Cap'n
orthobiz
The Porsche Certificate of Authenticity available through the Porsche Club of America will tell you the engine number. So if you ever find it you can corroborate it? (I think)

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.