Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA Legacy Plate Program
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
The CA DMV recently enacted a Legacy Plate program (more info). This allows us in CA to order correct blue plates for our cars since you can't take any random set of old blue plates and reassign them to your car (the program for that is for 69 and earlier cars). The fee is $50 to get these new plates.

When the law initially passed I wasn't sure if the 7500 applications necessary to get the program rolling (think group-buy for plates) would actually happen. Well I just rechecked the website (link above) and they've put up a counter showing how close they are to getting the minimum number of applications. Since they're 70% of their goal, I think I'll get my application in for both my cars.

I'm posting to hopefully push a few more members off the fence and get their applications in. If you're a member on other club site, reposting this may get more people in as well. This is one of the few times when new laws are actually helping us out, not putting more restrictions on us. smilie_pokal.gif
JeffBowlsby
I was disappointed. I sent in an application to get a plate # that matched the original plate # for the car - application was rejected.
euro911
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 10:12 AM) *
... (the program for that is for 69 and earlier cars). ...
So does that program apply to black plates? (DMV issued me blue plates for my 64 back in 1977) dry.gif
dfelz
Mark, Do you have any concrete info on the plate material and such. I thought i heard that these "plates" will be like the kind found at souvenir shops (even some smaller states) where the plate is a hard plastic and has the letters printed on there, as opposed to the original metal stamped ones.... I only want to buy into the program if its going to be a real metal stamped plate..
7TPorsh
I read somewhere they are reflective... mad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 26 2013, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 10:12 AM) *
... (the program for that is for 69 and earlier cars). ...
So does that program apply to black plates? (DMV issued me blue plates for my 64 back in 1977) dry.gif

Yes but you'll need all of the documentation/laws to "train" the DMV staff, a full set of 2 matching plates not currently assigned (email me if you need the Sacto DMV # to check if plates are open), time & patience Mark. There are lots of sites out there selling sets - from grody to NOS, & it pays to wait for some at the right price. You'll also need the correct Year sticker for YOM if not on the plates you get (or if blank NOS unused ones).

I got a single NOS 56 series trailer plate + NOS 60 sticker online for our restored 1960 Avion trailer (sim. to Airstream), but still need to do the plate thing with DMV for our renewal next month. I hear it's a hassle, long wait & sometimes problemmatic with DMV cuz "they don't know their A from a hole in the ground!"

McMark & all - these repro plates are not exact duplicates, since they are now going to be reflective (all eras) in whatever color was appropriate then, & the numbers/letters are printed - not stamped & painted as were the originals - but still as close as you can get until they extend the YOM plates for later years after 69.

Jeff, give me a call some eve this week or weekend & I'll give you the Sacto DMV 3 to check if your original plates are assigned to another car or not turned in by somebody. That should be the only reason they'd reject it. If not, try calling them or ask the Sacto guy why & where to take it up further.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(dfelz @ Jun 26 2013, 12:43 PM) *

Mark, Do you have any concrete info on the plate material and such. I thought i heard that these "plates" will be like the kind found at souvenir shops (even some smaller states) where the plate is a hard plastic and has the letters printed on there, as opposed to the original metal stamped ones.... I only want to buy into the program if its going to be a real metal stamped plate..

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/faqs.htm

Q13: Are the Legacy Plates going to look exactly like the license plates issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's?
A: No. Current law requires license plates to be reflectorized and modern manufacturing processes may not allow for an exact replication of the original plates. The images shown on the website and REG 17L are for illustrative purposes only. The final design of the plate will differ; however, as many characteristics of the original plates as possible will be applied.

Tom, I would imagine "CALIFORNIA" will be printed (like the plates that are now being issued) but is it known that the license numbers/letters will be printed? Current plates are stamped.
McMark
Yes they're not identical. BUT, I'll take a not quite right blue plate over what I've got now anyday.
monkeyboy
I got my white plates stamped and repainted by a guy down here. They look just like the older plates now, but they are seven digit.

I know it's not legal, but no one has complained YET.
oldschool
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 02:26 PM) *

I got my white plates stamped and repainted by a guy down here. They look just like the older plates now, but they are seven digit.

Now I know why your the Monkeyboy lol-2.gif
Madswede
Too bad you can't resurrect old blue plates. I have the original for my 73. Blue plate of course. No need for it out here in NM so it's just a wall decoration.
moparrob
I let mine lapse for 30 years (although I still have them - see avitar) and someone resurrected them and now is using them again. Now they are white though. Bummer...
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jun 26 2013, 02:26 PM) *

It could be sooner than you thinkā€¦SF Gate
green914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 02:19 PM) *

Yes they're not identical. BUT, I'll take a not quite right blue plate over what I've got now anyday.

agree.gif Thanks for putting the info out. smile.gif
mrbubblehead
i sent my check in and they cashed it months ago. im getting black and yellows. i heard that if they cash the check then its a go.... mark have they cashed your check? i swear i saw an old caddy on the freeway with a 7 digit black and yellow. havnt seen any blue and yellow ones yet....
914_teener
Native since the beginning......good luck fellas.Click to view attachment
Kaduku
What is the consensus here on getting black plates on a car that is supposed to have blue ones?
McMark
With this program you can do that. Whatever makes you happy. thumb3d.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Jun 27 2013, 08:31 PM) *

What is the consensus here on getting black plates on a car that is supposed to have blue ones?

i am doing black plates. i dont care if they are period correct or not.
Kaduku
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2013, 08:37 PM) *

With this program you can do that. Whatever makes you happy. thumb3d.gif

True. Both look cool. I guess it may depend too on the color of your car to match it.
EdwardBlume
Blue is cool.
McMark
Don't brag Rob. tongue.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 27 2013, 09:35 PM) *

Blue is cool.

Definitely cool aktion035.gif that's what I mean about matching the car.

jgara962
It sounds like a great idea, but they are only at 10% of the minimum orders for the blue plates and THEN, it is a 12 month wait? So we get our plates in like 2016 blink.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2013, 11:45 PM) *

If you can figure out how to use these you'll be just as cool Mark. Dug them out today.

Click to view attachment

Nice patina, but they would also clean up real purty.

Here's the old girl they came off of.

Click to view attachment

1971 Fastback. Great car, should have kept it... Yes, those are faux sheepskin seat covers... biggrin.gif

On the way...
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 28 2013, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2013, 11:45 PM) *

If you can figure out how to use these you'll be just as cool Mark. Dug them out today.

Click to view attachment

Nice patina, but they would also clean up real purty.

Here's the old girl they came off of.

Click to view attachment

1971 Fastback. Great car, should have kept it... Yes, those are faux sheepskin seat covers... biggrin.gif

On the way...

Register as a vanity plate
euro911
I was looking around the garage for the set of blues that were on the '76 530i I sold a couple years ago. I thought I kept them, but I haven't found them (yet). I thought I could have them reassigned to the 'BB' idea.gif

I did find an errant blue plate that's apparently from my '66 912. I thought it had black plates, damnit dry.gif

At least my wife's '71 914 has blue the original plates smile.gif

I'm on the hunt for a nice set of blackies for my '64 popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.