Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked up a 912E project #873
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agentblr
A friend bought this car back in 05 and parked it without touching it for 8 years! I actually drove the car when it was for sale back in 05 and passed it up before my buddy steve who has a restored white 912E bought it from a mutal friend James Cox, a well known HSR car builder. It needs everything but thats ok, I plan a full restore. These cars are more rare than a 914-6 with around 2100 built. Info on them seems to be scarce. Any teener out there have 912E's ??
agentblr
SirAndy
Moved to the garage forum so people can actually see this thread.

shades.gif
Dave_Darling
It's a 76 911 with special motor mounts. The engine is a 2.0 914-version Type IV (complete with three-stud heads) with L-jet EFI, a smog pump, and either thermal reactors or a catalytic converter. (I forget which; could it be both?) The transmission is a 915 box with a mainshaft which is made to fit the 914's clutch.

Since there were only 2099 of them made, parts specific to the car are exceedingly rare. That includes a fair amount of the L-jet parts, the exhaust, the transmission (or at least the mainshaft).

Heavier than a 914, and about as powerful as the 75-76 2.0 914s. I'm not especially a fan, but then again I haven't driven one hard.

Trivia: A Porschephiles member (maybe Jay Schwarb?) bought 912E serial number 1 from someone who had gotten it from someone who had gotten it from the wife of someone at Porsche AG. He took it to his mechanic for a tune-up and evaluation and such, and the mechanic managed to wrap it around a tree on a test drive. Oops.

--DD
McMark
Cool cars! I've worked on a few of them. If you're going to run the stock L-Jet, get a rebuilt AFM. It's made the most difference on both the cars I worked on.

You'll get a lot of engine questions answered here, but also pop in to 912bbs.org. There is a 912E section there.
agentblr
Thanks guys! Gonna put her up on the lift this weekend, if the fuel lines look ok I will put some gas in it and a battery and see if it fires. I will post some better pics too. McMark: Who refurbs the AFM ?
oldschool
We had one back in the day......it was a very good runner. Who knows, I may be putting a 4 in my 911S, temporary
Jake Raby
This is #985, my old daily driver that I love a lot! I have two 912Es at the present, and have had as many as four of them at once. I just sold # 0185 a few months back and #1615 before that.

I love the cars, 985 and I spent everyday together for 8 years and 160K flawless miles. Thee pics were fro my first drive after a full mechanical resto and a new RAT Electomotive EFI equipped 2056 was built for it.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's #985, #185 and my '88 Carrera posing together...

IPB Image

The 912E is a misunderstood beast thats appreciated a lot more now than it used to be.
Harpo
Nice collection there Jake
Dr Evil
Being that many states start smog at 1976, this makes the E a less desirable model. I still think they are cool.
agentblr
Very cool Jake! Glad to see you still have 985. When i googled 912E's you page was right at the top of the search, I must have read your page 5 times !
McMark
I have Fuel Injection Corp to rebuild my FI stuff
Maltese Falcon
Anything " Porsche " low production #s = future collectible.
The late John Williamson aka Otto called these
The Stuttgart Edsel.
We built lots of 912e thermal reactor replacement Shorty headers ,which helped keep a lot 912e's
run cooler and leak less oil.
Marty
a914622
Thats sweet. I have been on the hunt for one for a few years.

jcl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.