Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing set screws from tranny linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
I'm replacing the seal and o-ring in my tranny selector (and probably putting in new bushings in the linkage while I'm at it. I'm new to this, so please bear with me. All the instructions I've read sound easy, but in looking at it before I start I'm not sure about something. One of the first steps is to simply remove the two set screws in the linkage. I can get at the rear one pretty easily once I remove the selector cover, but how do I get at the front screw?
pilothyer
The front (at the firewall) screw can be accessed by removing the rubber boot from the firewall. You will be able to pull the boot back far enough to see the screw. It wiil be at the bottom. The screw goes through the shift rod coupler and into the front shift rod. Be sure to check for any play in the couplers bushings and replace if needed. You also want to check the firewall bushing that the rod passes through........All these old bushings become brittle and may just crumble or already be history.
john_g
Thanks, pilo. So I can just pull the rubber boot from the firewall? I've gently tugged on it and it seems to be on there pretty tight. I don't want to wreck it. Any tricks to removing it?
john_g
bump
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.