Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocating to Grants Pass, OR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
The relocating to Grants Pass, OR from Flagstaff, AZ is nearing completion. We have just purchased a house and the closing will be July 31st. Then the moving of cars takes place over a two month period. Looking forward to trailering each of them (four total) over 1,200 miles one way. Going to be an interesting summer and early fall.

The home we bought has four car garages which in reality will hold all five of my cars. The 3rd garage has natural gas heater, wired for 220v, room for air compressor, work benches, drill press, chop saw, sander, and all the rest of the good stuff. The fourth garage has natural lighting from six floor to ceiling windows. The other garage is a double car which will hold the cars normally used daily. Finally, I have enough space to store and work on my project cars: 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce and the 1974 914-6 conversion (3.2 Carrera engine and suspension, etc.). Now the fun begins including having room in the back for the trailer, etc.

We should be settled into Grants Pass by the end of summer around the start of fall school years.

Looking forward to getting involved with the 914 activities of Oregon and Northern California. I did grow up in Nor-Cal so there are many roads I want to revisit as well as take on the new roads of Southern Oregon.

Will I miss Flagstaff, AZ?? Yes, but there new adventures waiting for my wife and I in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest.

Steve N Sandy Hurt drunk.gif piratenanner.gif driving-girl.gif welder.gif aktion035.gif pray.gif
Tom
Best of luck to you and yours in your new home in the great PNW!
Tom
Drums66
.....You picked sone nice landscape......good fortune to you!
god bless your move. bye1.gif
McMark
Where's Jeff (sixnotfour)? av-943.gif
sixnotfour
I know right , What Why ??? LMK ,, I guess if your from desert, rain and mountain's is good ??

Although anything South of Seattle and Portland has to be better..
Rand
Grants Pass is NOT the PNW!! Not sure how that reference came up.

I lived in Seattle for 10 years, but I grew up in grass pants. As it says on the arch.... "It's the climate"

Good place to live. A little redneck, but good place to be.
montoya 73 2.0
All of Oregon is considered part of the PNW! Whenever I tell anyone that's not from Oregon that I live in Oregon, They automatically say "how do you deal with all that rain"? Hell, I'm 280 miles south of Portland (8 miles from the California border) in the High Desert!
EdwardBlume
I like GP. Seems like a nice place. Congrats! cheer.gif
Rand
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 27 2013, 09:39 PM) *

All of Oregon is considered part of the PNW! Whenever I tell anyone that's not from Oregon that I live in Oregon, They automatically say "how do you deal with all that rain"? Hell, I'm 280 miles south of Portland (8 miles from the California border) in the High Desert!

Nope, sorry. I was born and raised in Oregon. But no way in hell is the valley part of the PNW. Sorry, but you have to go more north and west to claim that. Check out eastern Oregon some time. Hardly PNW.

Sorry, didn't mean to argue. But just sayin.
McMark
Let's get Andy in here to argue that the Bay Area isn't NorCal and this thread will be first.gif

I'm trying to think if I've even read about something that mattered less... idea.gif
Rand
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2013, 10:03 PM) *

Let's get Andy in here to argue that the Bay Area isn't NorCal and this thread will be first.gif

I'm trying to think if I've even read about something that mattered less... idea.gif

LOL. Bay area isn't PNW either! Just sayin. Oh, ahnd this matters less. But we are talking about it because.........Someone is.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2013, 10:03 PM) *

lol-2.gif

PanelBilly
Sounds like a great place for the next tranny clinic
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 27 2013, 10:21 PM) *

agree.gif
NS914
I just googled it...man, if you are the least bit active re outdoors...you are going to have a great time there, Congrats again!
cary
The Pacific Northwest is a region in western North America bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west and, loosely, by the Rocky Mountains on the east. Though no universally agreed upon boundary exists, a common conception includes the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia. Broader conceptions reach north into Alaska and Yukon, south into the coastal and mountainous regions of Northern California, and east into Idaho and western Montana, and western Wyoming to the Continental Divide. Narrower conceptions may be limited to the Northwestern U.S. or to the coastal areas west of the Cascade and Coast mountains. The variety of definitions can be attributed to partially overlapping commonalities of the region's history, geography, society, and other factors.
rhodyguy
try the drive from cave junction down the north fork of the smith river. beware of large rocks laying in the road just around the next corner.
Mr.242
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 27 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 27 2013, 10:21 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
sixnotfour
Weather Facts

The Warmest month is July (highest recorded temperature was 111°F in 1981)
The Coldest month is December (lowest recorded temperature was -3°F in 1990)
The Wettest month is December (average annual precipitation is 32.21 inches)
The Elevation is 948 feet
Weather Averages (F and Inches)

This table is based on 70 years of archival weather data provided by weatherbase.com

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
High 47 54.4 60.8 67.8 75.2 81.8 89.9 89.5 83.7 69.9 53.7 46.6
Low 32.4 33.8 35.5 38.2 43.2 48.3 52 50.7 45.4 40.2 36.4 33.7
Precip. 5.5 4.0 3.4 1.9 1.4 0.7 0.3 0.3 0.8 2.4 4.5 5.8
Snow 2.3 0.5 0.4 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 0.1 0.9

Weather Resources

Dr Evil
Relax fellas, as soon as things get more settled here with the new house, job, kid, I will come back for a visit and do a clinic.

Oregon is totally PNW and NorCal includes the SF bay area tongue.gif
relentless
Shoguneagle, the Grants Pass "Back to the 50's" cruise is coming up on July 27th, are you going to be in town? Doesn't match Reno's HAN but it is pretty cool. Last time I actually participated I was pretty lucky to have a friend who let me drive a '53 Mercedes Benz DS, pre-war body style saloon. Here's a picture for those who might wonder what this car looks like.

Dr Evil
drooley.gif
Mike Knox
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 28 2013, 06:18 AM) *

try the drive from cave junction down the north fork of the smith river. beware of large rocks laying in the road just around the next corner.

I used to regularly drive my 914 on this road to the coast to do underwriting assessments for insurance companies. For a time at Patrick's Creek there was a huge project to prevent landslides.

I used to voluntarily park and wait, then ask the flagger if I could be first in line when it was time to let another batch of cars through. I was guaranteed a clear road for at least 15 minutes of glorious road hugging curvy speed.

YEE HAW!! aktion035.gif

Mike
montoya 73 2.0
Mike, where have you been?
shoguneagle
It is hard to play to this crowd!!!! I grew up south of Grants Pass in Northern California (Lake and Mendo countries; yes, the lower half of the the pot fields); I guess there are "red necks here" but there are alot of retired military, young and middle age workabees, etc. Just a nice variety of people and all ages.

I spent all my life living in California until I retired at 63 and moved to Flagstaff for eight years. I even called California my home during all the military duty years (27yrs plus in regular and reserve status).

Grants Pass gives me a littlle of what I had as a youngster including what the wine industry was like in the Napa Valley before a lot of you were born. It comprised of family owned vineyards along with several large producers; only in the later years, the valley became social and large amounts of money.

I have a little bit of everything which gives me what I call "Heaven"!!!

I really enjoyed Flagstaff and it offered Sandy and I great involvement in the community, cars, astronomy, etc. Only the ice, snow, altitude, and rocks finally got me to move; along with having open heart surgery.

I think I have found my space and will get to see how many cousins are in the PNW and Northern California. These are ones I have never met; probably those "rednecks" being mentioned.

Anyone is welcome to drop by for a visit and there is a place to stay. We have an "open door" for everyone.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif Steve!
Mike Knox
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 28 2013, 04:06 PM) *

Mike, where have you been?

Still here, just lurking. shades.gif In that stage of life where the older generation is passing, so lots of family business to deal with. Rehabing the house I inherited from my mom (my accountant brothers took the cash, me a social worker, wanted the house for my son and his family). Traveling, closing my business and nearing retirement. Doing A LOT of music these days.

914 content:

RMS headbang.gif went out on my 3.2 conversion, need to beef up the alternator to handle heavier electric load, electric trunk release failed, need to figure that out. Need to fix some areas where the paint job crazed. Collecting 914-6 gears so I can go to a Evilwerks Transmission Clinic welder.gif and rebuild my transmission to handle the 3.2 aktion035.gif.

But I'm here (more or less).

Thanks for asking!! cheer.gif

Mike
montoya 73 2.0
Good to hear from you. I have two side shifter trans I would like to rebuild also. Take care and check in every now and then. In Medford right now, the wife wanted to do some shopping so here iam. The "Klamath Kruise" is going on this weekend at home. They added a huge swamp meet area at veterans park on friday (yesterday) this year. Not one porsche part that I saw. All hotrod stuff!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.