Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB620
Hi there, new to the forum scene but not the 914. I've had my 75 1.8 for about 26 years now. I stopped driving it at least 10 years ago because of a leaky fuel injector, up til then it was a great daily driver. I had the best mechanic on the planet until he decided to get into computers so needless to say I've been a bit shy to entrust my car to another. I realize that I have now caused myself a ton more problems by letting it sit. I would love to get it back on the road where it belongs. I stumbled onto this site and was excited to see so many others who appreciate these fun little cars. I'm no mechanic, I've tackled smaller tasks, but spent many hours alongside mine and am fairly familiar. I guess my question is this... where do I even start????
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png

Start with fuel lines, brake lines and vacuum lines. You have come to the right place!

By the way, we love pictures so:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

You will receive all the help you need here! There are a lot of jokers and a few ass hats but it's all in good fun! laugh.gif Good luck!

Oh, don't forget to add your VIN to the database and use the Tech Article area also. there are some good things in there. Top right corner, click on "914info" and there you go!
NORD

welcome.png

A good way to get advise is to host a BBQ. There are many 914s in Oregon

And the owners love to help each other. Post some pictures.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

914s are meant to be driven (up onto jackstands)... hissyfit.gif av-943.gif
JB620
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 27 2013, 08:24 PM) *

welcome.png

Start with fuel lines, brake lines and vacuum lines. You have come to the right place!

By the way, we love pictures so:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

You will receive all the help you need here! There are a lot of jokers and a few ass hats but it's all in good fun! laugh.gif Good luck!

Oh, don't forget to add your VIN to the database and use the Tech Article area also. there are some good things in there. Top right corner, click on "914info" and there you go!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Spoke
welcome.png

Very nice car.

Keep the pics coming.

With that color, you will automatically be Zach's friend. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness! welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png

Get some jack stands. Good ones.
Remove the fuel tank and clean it out, Replace the sock screen in the tank, replace the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel with Stainless steel lines. You can find sources for these in the member vendor section. Replace the rubber fuel lines. When they are old they split and have caused far too many fires and burned cars. Replace all the brake hoses (rubber ones) They swell up inside and will cause your calipers to stick. Rebuild the calipers or get some from PMB. 10 year old tires are not a good idea. Vacuum lines if you still have the stock injection. General tune up with oil change and drive it like you stole it! That should keep you busy for several weeks.

Oh, and if search doesn't find what you need ask away. We will help if we can.
johannes
Welcome to the world !...
914Sixer
Welcome to the madness !! smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
welcome.png Your in luck. These are very simple little cars to maintain and you just landed on the best resource in the universe. Lots of info here but your not going to understand some of it in the beginning. To help you with the terminology and location of some of these parts you will need to go on ebay/amazon and buy a Haynes manual for the 914. Next, you will want to buy a good quality floor jack and 4 wide base jack stands. I won't be able to help with the LJet but lots of others here will.
PanelBilly
I SE one the BBQ. And beer! If you have a couch where someone can crash, that will get you a live "expert". An expert beer drinker, that is.

Welcome to our party.
JB620
Woohoo... tank is out and going to get "boiled" on Monday. Looking to get some parts ordered, does anybody have a preference of where to buy from?
76-914
Yes, look in our member vendor section/forum. One or two perverts but all in all, a good group of guys there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.