Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Motor mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nolift914
During my second autox with the new 914 I broke the rubber motor mounts. I made a hard launch on my first run of the day when the mounts broke.

Looking for advice on an upgrade of the OEM mounts looking at the GPR aluminum mounts and the Jwest nylon ones.

The motor is a Fat 2258cc type 4.
brant
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jun 28 2013, 12:53 PM) *

During my second autox with the new 914 I broke the rubber motor mounts. I made a hard launch on my first run of the day when the mounts broke.

Looking for advise on an upgrade of the OEM mounts looking at the GPR aluminum mounts and the Jwest nylon ones.

the stock mounts have a bolt sticking out top and bottom
that bolt is actually 2 bolts bonded into the rubber
its not a single bolt connected.....

so when they fail it is often the rubber has torn or sheered

a great solution is to find a good material (like delrin) and bore a hole all the way through the mount. make the upper and lower bolts of one piece of threaded stock. eliminate the ability for the two bolts to seperate.

more vibration, but more secure than stock
good for racing and not as brutal as solid metal

Krieger
How old were the mounts? Ive run my stock mounts for 8-9 ax seasons. No issues. Hard launches in first may end up costing you lots in other parts too.
Randal

Your story reminds me of the West Coast Ramble up in Medford a couple of year ago. I was running 911 sport mounts and one side broke. That was the reason I couldn't shift so Britain got me by a tenth in the autox.

McMark spied the problem and borrowed a mount from another car and installed it so I could compete in the 5 lap Enduro, where I took the trophy... well actually there wasn't a trophy, just a kiss and a tickle. Thanks again Mark!

But after that I went back to stock mounts and haven't had a problem since. And my autox launches are pretty violent, as it takes a bit to break loose 11" Avon (soft compound) slicks.
r_towle
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 28 2013, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jun 28 2013, 12:53 PM) *

Looking for advise on an upgrade of the OEM mounts looking at the GPR aluminum mounts and the Jwest nylon ones.

the stock mounts have a bolt sticking out top and bottom
that bolt is actually 2 bolts bonded into the rubber
its not a single bolt connected.....

so when they fail it is often the rubber has torn or sheered

a great solution is to find a good material (like delrin) and bore a hole all the way through the mount. make the upper and lower bolts of one piece of threaded stock. eliminate the ability for the two bolts to seperate.

more vibration, but more secure than stock
good for racing and not as brutal as solid metal

Hockey pucks and a hole saw to make them the right size.
Threaded rod all the way through.
Matt Romanowski
Do they make 8.8 threaded rod? Using regular all thread is a recipe for disaster. I've seen motors remove themselves from 914s before...
brant
They do make quality bolts that you can cut the head off of.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 28 2013, 05:03 PM) *

They do make quality bolts that you can cut the head off of.

No problem with that. When I hear people say "threaded rod" I usually cringe a little.
brant
Fair enough. Just a descriptor. We don't cut corners like that so all thread didn't cross my mind.
nolift914
Thanks for the info, I decided on the the gpr Aluminum mounts.

IPB Image
r_towle
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jun 28 2013, 08:54 PM) *

Do they make 8.8 threaded rod? Using regular all thread is a recipe for disaster. I've seen motors remove themselves from 914s before...

Personally, I use real rubber mounts for that locatin.

I feel that the motor needs to move in at least one location.
The rest or solid mounts.

If I was to use it, I only use grad 8 bolts, but thanks for jumping right in there.
sgetsiv
You will get a lot of vibration with those. I had the JWest hard nylon mounts and switched back to factory to try and make the car a little bit nicer for street driving.
McMark
Make sure to check your transmission mounts as well and if stock, upgrade to 911 sport mounts. The 2436 Type IV in the shop has stock engine mounts and no problems when AXing or track days.

Thanks again Mark!

I was just doing what needed to be done. biggrin.gif thumb3d.gif
Matt Romanowski
The Wevo mounts are worth the money over stock transmission mounts (IMHO).
sgetsiv
I switched to the Wevo black rubber (softer) transmission mounts when I switched out my engine mounts. Very smooth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.