Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this carpet be dyed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
Click to view attachmentHey everyone. I've posted a picture of one piece of carpet from my 914

The carpet was originally a tan color and it looks like the previous owner tried to dye it possibly a grey color

Well it isn't grey at all more like grennish brown. They actually didn't do all the pieces fully as you can see on this piece.

My question is. Can this carpet be dyed black? The carpet overall is in nice shape other than the mousey color. All the vinyl edging and vinyl foot piece on the driver's side is very nice.

If it can be dyed what do I use? THANX L
r_towle
yes, easily dyed black.
Pepboys has some dyes , at least in my state.

Leatherique may also have carpet dye.

Rich
Jeffs9146
Its not that cut and dry! I tried to dye mine and it came out brownish black! So I bought some high quality dye and tried again, it was only marginally better.
JmuRiz
Have you already used a carpet cleaner to see if its just dirty?
Probably easier to just order a new set from a member vendor.
DBCooper
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 28 2013, 03:06 PM) *

Have you already used a carpet cleaner to see if its just dirty?
Probably easier to just order a new set from a member vendor.

Agree. It's hard to dye polyester, you really need a dispersion dye. It's not expensive, but it needs heat to fix the color. That means immersion in boiling water or at least uniform steam. Without the heat the color will be splotchy and always shed a bit.

Valy
Been there, done that. Buy a new one. The color doesn't hold on polyesters.
LCOX
Thanx everyone I'll take your advice and replace it. L
orthobiz
And I was gonna say that it can't be died cause it's dead already!

Paul
Joe Bob
SEM Trim Black Paint. Try it......you'd be surprised.
Drums66
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 28 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Been there, done that. Buy a new one. The color doesn't hold on polyesters.

......Ya i'm with ya idea.gif
bye1.gif
warpig
Fuch it!!! sheeplove.gif Carpet weighs too much and dye just weighs more. Strip the whole interior and paint it all black. No one will notice the difference. (except the guy running the stopwatch (or radar gun)) confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.