Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fiberglass question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
trying to find the max temperature the fiber can withstand....

I'm also trying to find a high heat tolerant resin (once everything is dried and cured)

once cured and exposed to an enviorment that is in the 200°-300°+ range, would I have to worry about dangerous outgassing??
rick 918-S
I'm researching resins myself. I have a cool 914 idea. If I come up with anything I'll let you know. morphenspector may know something about the limits of resin.
SpecialK
Most epoxy resin's have a cure range of around 200F. After heat curing, the composite can with stand substantially higher temps (probably 400F max.). The fiberglass cloth should be okay to near 1000F (well beyond what the resin can withstand). Is there any way that you could apply a heat reflective coating to the side of your project that'll be exposed to the high temps? I'm toying with making a set of CF engine tins using an aluminum impregnated FG (heat reflective) layer on the inside, hell, I might make the entire engine tin out of the AI FG if my practice pieces look cool.

Here's a pic of the Impregnated FG:
URY914
Jake uses a "tooling resin" which has a higher temp range. He uses it on his DTM fan unit.

See what these guys have to say...
http://www.fibreglast.com/
http://fgci.com/
neo914-6
I used to work with a UK vendor who made phenolic panels for our buses for fire safety purposes. They wouldn't devulge their process but it laid up "like" fiberglass. This is the high temp material pot handles are made of.
Felix
SpecialK
Uh oh Paul, giving away Jakes secret recipes wink.gif

Another two component high-temp resin is Epocast® 35-A/927, good for up to 400F.

What'cha makin' Mike?
Aaron Cox
c/f engine tin!!! biggrin.gif
URY914
I've thought of making my tin or the fan housing out of c/f or f/g.

But what am I saving here, a pound or two?

Too much pain, too little gain.
SpecialK
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 1 2004, 06:26 PM)
c/f engine tin!!! biggrin.gif

huh.gif ..oxymoron? Yeah, I've been inhaling various mfg fumes for too long, for sure! wacko.gif
redshift
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 1 2004, 10:29 PM)

Wussie... heavy heavy wussie...

rolleyes.gif

M
URY914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 1 2004, 06:29 PM)
I've thought of making my tin or the fan housing out of c/f or f/g.

I knew as soon as I posted this some wise ass would flame me.

Of course it was Miles. wub.gif

PAul
redshift
If you make your whole tube car out of tubes.. and carbon, you can afford that extra angus burger, once a month.

Mmmmm beef..

smile.gif

M
URY914
I told my wife not to throw away those cardboard tubes from the toilet paper and paper towels. I'll use them on my car.

biggrin.gif
Downunderman
Try these dudes:

http://www.westsystem.com/
Dr Evil
try these guys too.

http://www.diversifiedmaterialscompany.com/
jonwatts
These guys might know a thing or two about high-heat resins...

scaled composites

wink.gif
mightyohm
What does "heat resistance" (in degrees F) mean when it comes to epoxies?

What happens when you go over the rated temperature?

I have some Tap Plastics epoxy that says it is only heat resistant to 115 degrees F. Only their polyester resins and super hard epoxy are rated above 150 degrees.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Dec 1 2004, 08:59 PM)
These guys might know a thing or two about high-heat resins...

scaled composites

wink.gif

How funny is that! I'm watching the discovery channel show right now! lol2.gif
Jake Raby
A full set of Carbon Fiber engine tin is already being made for the 914... The Blower housing will be fiberglass though with adjustable partitions to trim the cooling air...
I'm even doing 912E tin for the early 912 guys that want TIV with stock looks and easy to fit characteristics..

Both units are almost done as we speak... The main reason I wanted to make it was because the stock tins are so hard to find in good condition and we can make the glass units even slicker and sleeker. I'm changing the rear of each piece of top tin near #1 and #3 to boost pressure to those cylinder in hopes to get better temps on them.. This stuff will sell pretty cheap too!

The resin I use will go to well over 400F as we have no issues on shrouds that literally touch head surfaces.

Fiberglass molds get very hot during curing. The resin used to make these molds is what we make the DTM from. Its 3 times as expensive as the other normal stuff, but it never cracks or even spider webs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.