Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UPDATE- Ignition Solved! If you are working by yourself, how can you check the ignition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I don't have any helpers this weekend and want to check for spark at the spark plugs (or at least spark from the coil). I don't have a remote starter so what options do I have for testing (seeing) the spark?

Probably a simple problem but I'm at a loss.....

UPDATE 7-26: The cause of my problem was a shorted out tachometer! Once the tachometer was unplugged, I had ignition. A replacement tach was put in and the car runs fine. I would have never thought of that.....
914_teener
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 28 2013, 05:12 PM) *

I don't have any helpers this weekend and want to check for spark at the spark plugs (or at least spark from the coil). I don't have a remote starter so what options do I have for testing (seeing) the spark?

Screwdriver with an insulated handle....and size to fit inside the spark plug cap.... and then find a good ground somewhere SAFE...... not on the fuel rail!

Look for a strong spark.
r_towle
Distributor cover off
Rotor off
Key on in ignition to run position

Take a screw driver and open and close the points...you should see a spark.

If you want to do the plug wires , use an ohm meter
billh1963
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 28 2013, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 28 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Screwdriver with an insulated handle....and size to fit inside the spark plug cap.... and then find a good ground somewhere SAFE...... not on the fuel rail!

Look for a strong spark.

So....maybe run a wire from the screwdriver to the door latch or some other exposed metal that I can see while turning over the engine?

No points...electronic ignition
stugray
you can also:

pull plug wire, hook to extra spark plug & lay plug on engine case.
insert small piece of paper in the plug gap.
crank engine.

if you can find a hole in the paper, then you have confirmation of spark.
if you do not see one, that is NOT definitive evidence of NO-spark.

(positive test only).

DISCLAIMER: dont try this with fuel leaks..... (or any open spark tests for that matter ;-)

Stu
malcolm2
I just bought a cool tool from harbor freight. $4.99 at my store, $3.99 7/1. It does not fit our spark plugs or the plug connector. But I found a place lie it down and mock it up where all the connections were touching and it worked. It is called a spark tester.

HF tester

You put it between the installed plug and the plug wire. Look thru the back window and see the blinky light as you crank. All my trunk lids are off, so it makes it easier to see, but I bet you can work it out.
brant
A remote starter switch is 10 or so dollars at the flaps and could be built for less
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 28 2013, 04:12 PM) *

I set it up and look through the back window. Buti also slotted the engine cover hinge tabs so I can pull the cover intwo minuteson my own. A mirror can help.
Dave_Darling
Brant's got the best answer--remote starter switch. Just a push-button and some wires is all it takes.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Another here for a remote switch. Its just a momentary switch,like a starter switch on a boat, or old tractor
McMark
Timing light. wink.gif If it flashes, it sparked.
billh1963
Problem solved...see update in first post
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 26 2013, 03:10 PM) *

Problem solved...see update in first post

Shorted Tach? Wow I wouldn't have gone there first that's for sure. There is probably an electrolytic cap at the input that went bad. It would act like a shorted condensor which is also a capacitor. Electrolytic caps have a limited life span.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.