Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal area rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mramber
So today I was going to put in a new gas pedal since the old one wobbled and the hinge was shot. First indication of trouble was that the bolts would not come out of the old pedal, too rusted. After drilling them out and digging around a bit, I can now see the road from the driver seat. :-(

So what is the best method of repair here? Can I replace the supporting (and very rusted) metal under the floor board? I looked a bit but did not find this part in any diagrams. Who else has seen this issue?

Cap'n Krusty
Call or e-mail restoration design. Good folks to deal with, good products.

The Cap'n
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2013, 04:00 PM) *

Call or e-mail restoration design. Good folks to deal with, good products.

The Cap'n

Front half from RD

At this point you only need the drivers side....keep poking. You might get lucky and find someone that only needed the passenger side and they will sell you their unused piece. I think AutoAtlanta does side to side, or maybe quarters. Then there will be the reinforcement piece that will need to be added. Kinda like the seat reinforcement that goes under each seat. The fun begins... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif hissyfit.gif

When your done, find some paint that can handle brake fluid...Maybe POR-15. I have that stuff in 2 gas tanks and the inside is like ceramic.
76-914
yep, just ordered something from them yesterday. welder.gif
bulitt
Your other option is to post a WTB in the classifieds section. Some members have parts cars they will cut sections off. I would remove your carpet and figure out just how much rust you have going on. Pedal area may just be the tip of the iceberg.
mramber
Thanks for the info, the rest of the pan is fine. I was wondering if the supporting piece below the pan was a part that you could buy. mine is almost all rust.
t collins
Restoration Design Part No. 357

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Scotty b repaired this area on my car. New reinforcement from restoration design. Formed new floor piece from sheet steel. Check out the mepstein build thread.
malcolm2
QUOTE(mramber @ Jun 29 2013, 07:14 PM) *

Thanks for the info, the rest of the pan is fine. I was wondering if the supporting piece below the pan was a part that you could buy. mine is almost all rust.

It's not really the carpet you should worry about. All that sound proofing stuff hides LOTS AND LOTS of stuff. Ice pick from underneath.
mepstein
you can always find more rust on a 914 if you know where to look.
(pic #1 should be 3rd in line)
mramber
Thanks all for the help! I ordered the part from Restoration Design. I picked and poked and rust is isolated to the pedal support bracket and the pan just above it. I'll post some pics when I'm done with the repair.

rhodyguy
as noted, you find probably find more issues if you remove the tar. a heat gun, a painters 5-way tool, an afternoon and you'll know for sure.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2013, 06:14 AM) *

as noted, you find probably find more issues if you remove the tar. a heat gun, a painters 5-way tool, an afternoon and you'll know for sure.

agree.gif

I used a mapp gas torch. All you need to to warm an area a few inched at a time. I used an 1/2" wood chisel. I removed all the tar in less than 2 hours. You will find more rust. This is the time to get it. I used East wood sound deadening material.
mr914
I have a cut from bill whitesides that a PO of a parts car bought to fix "Fred Flintstone" brakes..

$15 plus shipping. PM me for info

mramber
My car is back on the road! Thanks everyone for your help in finding the pedal reinforcement part from Restoration Design.

I'm adding pictures, but take it easy on me, this is the first metal fab that I have done since metal shop in high school (30 some years ago)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sean_v8_914
going deep without fear! lookin good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.