Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helping a friend with his trans. Having an issue.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Friend has a 75 1.8 that the main input seal was leaking on.

Dropped the trans, showed him what to get from Pelican.

He put everything back, and now the issues:

1) He didn't replace the main input shaft seal. So he needs to drop it and do that again.
2) Car grinds on all gears, and badly. He replaced the clutch disk and pressure plate. He used my clutch disk alignment tool, but he didn't check the torque settings on the pressure plate.
3) Car shifts fine without engine running, and goes into all gears, based on watching the shift selector on the console in the rear.
4) If I start it in gear, the car creeps forward (or reverse), even if I have the clutch to the floor.
5) Clutch cable is tight, and there's almost no play.

I am guessing that he didn't tighten the pressure plate properly when he put it all back. I don't know off the top of my head what the torque settings should be, but He knows that he didn't use a torque wrench. Is there a tightening pattern on the pressure plate? Been a while since I put one in. I assume that there is, but wanted to confirm.

Any other insight or advice is appreciated.

TIA
rhodyguy
what all did he replace? 'snout out' on the clutch disc?
brant
Is it a new disc then? It sounds like the clutch fork needs adjustment shimming but that would be weird since I doubt the flywheel we changed. Before pulling it apart check the angle of the throughout fork
sixnotfour
The clutch tube is broke loose impossible to adjust clutch properly..
JawjaPorsche
Sounds like YOU should have done it for him and be done with it!
914itis
A local teener here had a similar issue. After replacing his tranni. I spent days tryng to figure out the issue with him.
After 3 drops, I noticed that the disk in the new pressure plate was ticker than the original one . I used the original and the car is fine.
Check your pressure plate.
Steve
Could be a mismatched pressure plate and disk. Make sure he received the right parts
KaptKaos
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2013, 05:30 AM) *

what all did he replace? 'snout out' on the clutch disc?

Various seals on the trans except for the one I told him was the problem headbang.gif

Clutch disk

Pressure plate, but thinking back, I am not certain he replaced the pressure plate.

For all I know, he could have the clutch disk in backwards. Would that cause these behaviors?
CMONNETT
I bet the pressure plate isn't clocked properly on the flywheel, as in the dowels on the flywheel aren't in the holes on the pressure plate. I've seen that done before. I don't think it's possible to put the disc in backwards. Yank the trans and take a look.
KaptKaos
Are there torque settings on the pressure plate bolts? How about a tightening process (star, like with wheel lugs)?
CMONNETT
Yes there is a torque setting for the pp. check the Haynes manual. Also might want to check the ball cup bushing on the back side of the t/o bearing arm.
914itis
QUOTE(CMONNETT @ Jun 30 2013, 12:24 PM) *

I bet the pressure plate isn't clocked properly on the flywheel, as in the dowels on the flywheel aren't in the holes on the pressure plate. I've seen that done before. I don't think it's possible to put the disc in backwards. Yank the trans and take a look.

It's not possible to put the disk backwards.
McMark
Sometimes mechanics put washers behind the throwout arm pivot bolt (in the transmission) in order to compensate for a worn flywheel/clutch. Check that. If there are washers, you may need to pull some out with the new clutch disk.
rhodyguy
while you're in there, if not done replace the little ball cup bushing, the clip, and the 2 plastic tob pivot pieces. oh, and the seal too. wink.gif a little felt piece goes in the end of the crankshaft. was that done? depth is important
r_towle
Ummm,
Pull it out and do it right for him.

Rich
euro911
Flywheel bolt ...... 80 ft lb
Clutch bolt .......... 18 ft lb

Was the flywheel resurfaced?
oldschool
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a juicy fruit lollipop lol-2.gif
Oh sorry back to 1..
Dr Evil
Obviously your clutch is not releasing all the way. There should be one washer under the pivot bolt, any more than that and it has been adjusted. If the pressure plate bolts were loose you would not have this issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.