Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Narrowing down my ignition problem. Might be something oddball...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Using suggestions from several people on the board much smarter than I am, I have verified that there is no spark coming from the coil. I have changed the coil to a known good coil (and coil wire from coil to cap) and still nothing.

The electronic ignition is sending an alternating signal of some kind to the negative side of the coil....which I believe it should be doing.

So, before I start messing with the distributor (since the car was running fine and just stopped suddenly) I am wondering if the issue is related to the alarm?

This car has an alarm system from Direct Electronics (they have multiple brands including Viper). Does anyone recognize it? Yes...it's dusty from sitting behind the console.

It seems to work. Pressing the remote activates it. However, when I deactivate it, the green light on the receiver box blinks momentarily and then the red light comes on (as seen in the picture). I'm wondering if the alarm is not fully deactivating? I assume that in addition to honking horn, triggering alarms, etc. part of the function of the alarm is to deactivate the ignition? Thoughts?

Click to view attachment
McMark
The + side of the coil should have 12v when the key is on. If this is not the case, then the alarm could be messing with something. And if you don't have 12v with the key on, you can run a jumper wire from Battery+ to Coil+ and see if it runs fine. Just remember you'll have to disconnect that wire to shut the car off. wink.gif
billh1963
I do have +12v at the coil with the key on. Next step is the electronic ignition unless someone has another idea.
Black22
That is a motion sensor for a Viper alarm (smaller box with LED lights). I had one in the early 90's in my pick up truck.
billh1963
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jun 30 2013, 05:53 PM) *

That is a motion sensor for a Viper alarm (smaller box with LED lights). I had one in the early 90's in my pick up truck.

That makes sense that it would detect me while I was in the car and show red
bulitt
You might also look for a small switch under the dash. Thinking I put one of these in @ 1997 and it had some sort of switch under the dash. Cant remember what it did tho.
Black22
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jun 30 2013, 07:10 PM) *

You might also look for a small switch under the dash. Thinking I put one of these in @ 1997 and it had some sort of switch under the dash. Cant remember what it did tho.

Switch was to disable/enable the alarm with the key in the ignition and in the ON position. Sort of like a valet bypass or if you lost the remote, you could jump in the car with the alarm blaring, turn the key on, flip the switch to shut off the alarm. I'm not sure, but these alarms were popular just before ignition kill features were a available. If it was available, it must have been expensive.

I loved the motion sensor. You didn't even have to touch my car. If you reached in the open window to grab a CD or something, the alarm would go off. Viper was state of the art in its day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.