Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension update? Alignment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agent9
Been a while but I am back.

I have a 1970 914/4. The front is definitely cambering way too much, passenger side tire is completely bald. The tires are old, time for new ones anyways, but want to address the cause of the wear before spending the money on new shoes.

I assume the suspensions is all the original / stock, making it 43 years old. Thinking it might be time for some replacements.

Should I bother going through the alignment process / take it in and have it done, or should I just move on to some new suspension?

I dive my car in nice weather, mainly around SF, but occasionally a couple hours away. No racing, but I like a car that handles well.

Any advice on how to tackle this would be great. Thanks.
Elliot Cannon
I would definitely replace the suspension bushings. New wheel bearings and shocks. Maybe stiffer torsion bars and rear springs. Front sway bar. What it boils down to is how much you want to spend on the car and what your mechanical skills might be and what you expect in the way of performance and handling. I would absolutely do some upgrading before an alignment and new tires. Get that car up on jackstands. av-943.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
Dave_Darling
If the wear is even across the tire, it may not be an alignment problem.

Wear on the inner shoulders is more likely due to toe-out than to camber.

The suspension should be inspected for wear, especially ball joints and bushings. I wouldn't replace parts that are still good, though.

The alignment should be done after you remove or replace significant parts of the suspension. You can do it before hand, but if you then replace parts you will need to re-do the alignment.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.