Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't say the "P" word to the insurance man
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
I have a bone stock, dog slow, 1972 1.8 car and because of those gold Porsche letters on the engine cowling I think I am getting hosed on car insurance. My oldest boy, who just got his license cannot drive this car because "dear old dad" (me) will not cough up the extra premium to inable him to drive the car.

Furthermore, he is insured on my 1997 Lincoln Continental that is faster in first gear than the my 914 with a hurricane tailwind!

Suggestions, comments?

Are there insurers out there that know the difference? mad.gif

TIA
Flat VW
Oops, 1.7 actually... (even faster yet!) driving.gif
drew365
If it's not a daily driver go with classic car insurance. I'm with Hagerty. I pay $140 for for both liability and collision on a 914-6 with an agreed value of $23,000. I can only drive 2500 miles a year which I don't but they have never checked anyway.
Flat VW
Yes a daily driver sad.gif
SpecialK
Go with Hagerty and lie like a rug about the miles it'll be driven! driving.gif
Flat VW
Well, the odometer is not working so it would be rough on me to tell "exactly" how far the car has been driven happy11.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Dec 1 2004, 08:19 PM)
Well, the odometer is not working so it would be rough on me to tell "exactly" how far the car has been driven happy11.gif

Now you're gettin' it!
redshift
Excepting one exponged speeding thingy, and one outright speed trap kangaroo court of disaster, I have a perfect record, and my insurance is laughable.

I know... tell him he can drive it when he is 40.

smile.gif

M
smooth_eddy
I also have Hagerty antique auto insurance. I pay $147/yr for full coverage with a $12k value on my car. I have no milage restrictions, just can't drive to and from work and must be stored in a locked garage. Pemco wanted $600/yr.
drew365
Yes, Hagerty will want to see a picture of the car in its garage and info on your primary auto. They've never asked for odometer readings, I've been with them for 18 years. Technically you're only supposed to drive the car to official events (ie WCC05), or for mechanical repair. So if there is a reportable incident, don't tell them you were on the way to pickup the drycleaning.
campbellcj
Are there "collector" type policies that are a little more flexible about casual, non-commuting usage that is not necessarily for official events?

I currently have full-boat State Farm coverage on my 914 and have thought about switching but it's not worth the hassle and potential coverage sacrifice if it would only save $10-20/mo.

Since this car sits in the garage 320+ days a year it seems like there would be a carrier could accomodate that but be lenient about where it goes the other ~45 days?!?!?
Jake Raby
Yeah,my policy on the 912E says I can only drive 7K a year...

I have driven 68K in 2.75 years....

monkeydance.gif
Howard
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 1 2004, 11:23 PM)
Are there "collector" type policies that are a little more flexible about casual, non-commuting usage that is not necessarily for official events?

I currently have full-boat State Farm coverage on my 914 and have thought about switching but it's not worth the hassle and potential coverage sacrifice if it would only save $10-20/mo.

Since this car sits in the garage 320+ days a year it seems like there would be a carrier could accomodate that but be lenient about where it goes the other ~45 days?!?!?

Been a CA insurance broker for 40 + years, and we've been down this road before. Almost all 'regular' insurance companies offer coverage for an extra car at low rates. I'm paying less than $200 per year for full coverage on each of my teeners with no usage restrictions. They may be crazy but they're not stupid. They figured out you can only drive one car at a time, so 'extra' cars get a low rate. If the 914 is your only car, figure to pay regular rates based on your age, driving record, etc. We write for Hagerty, too, but that works best for someone like Drew who uses his car rarely. Call or email for free advice in CA.
wheelo
Or...better yet, call / e-mail me for free quote!
California drivers only, please...
I pay 300/yr for my teener, no milage issue, full coverage.
And I have two tickets, (don't ask), on record... only one really.... drive-it all the time.....

beerchug.gif

Mark
chunger
Called wheelo up and he was able to help get my house/car insurance premiums down. . . mueba.gif now to see if we can meet up sometime. . ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.