Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plumbing for turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Anybody have any pics on how their suby wrx engine is set up with the air filter and how the plumbing was routed? My conversion was set up with the filter down along the bottom of the firewall, but have seen some where it is in the upper, driver's corner of the engine bay, and was wondering how it was routed? Would seem that the filter would stay cleaner up higher, as opposed to lower.
ruby914
The air cleaner is where the battery was. I made a rain hat for it.
I recall, someone here put the air cleaner into the wheel well.
I think a lot of it depends on where you put the intercooler or if you rotate the intake manifold.
The original photo was a little confusing wacko.gif so I rotated it 180 deg.
partwerks
My intercooler is on the passenger side. I don't know if my intake is flipped the other way, in comparison to others setup?

This plumbing looks to be a bit different than mine in how is is laid out.
d914
front mounted turbo, water to air intercooler, air intake off to driver's side..

Click to view attachment

DBCooper
Original layout, with intercooler in engine bay, air filter where the battery was (hidden under top edge of intercooler in this photo):

IPB Image

When changed to Subaru transmission and water-air intercooler (heat exchanger in front), with a flipped manifold the air filter stayed in pretty much the same place, battery back in the engine compartment. Turbo is in the stock location for each configuration:

IPB Image

partwerks
The first set up looks similar to mine, but my air filter plumbing curves and runs along the bottom of the firewall, but I think I should change it to where it goes straight out towards where the battery used to be. I did take a small section out of the tube that was rattling along the firewall, to make clearance, and welded it back together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 1 2013, 10:12 AM) *

Original layout, with intercooler in engine bay, air filter where the battery was (hidden under top edge of intercooler in this photo):

IPB Image

When changed to Subaru transmission and water-air intercooler (heat exchanger in front), with a flipped manifold the air filter stayed in pretty much the same place, battery back in the engine compartment. Turbo is in the stock location for each configuration:

IPB Image

Nice work on phase two.

I like the stealth look.

Rich
ruby914
Lyle,
IIRC I rotated the blow off valve outlet 180. You may have to grind off a key way or some small mod like that. My larger tube bends down before going across.
Mike.
partwerks
Another Subie owner said that he just purges the blow off valve into the environment, but I'm not sure which hose he is referring to? Is it the skinny hose on that hat shaped thing?

I'm wondering what the job is of the big black pipe, and the smaller one that runs along the firewall, and then curves back around and goes into like a boot, similar to where the air filter would go??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.