Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chikenfajita
hello, my left headlight wont go down, i can manually make it go down, turn the switch and it will go back up but not down, the right side one works perfectly, i know its not the relay because i switched them and it stil dosent work. any advice over what the problem might be, its really anoying, i dont look cool with one light up. pray.gif pray.gif driving.gif
Brad Roberts
ChickenFajita ? laugh.gif

What year 914 ?

B
chikenfajita
its a 1970 914.
Brad Roberts
Have you done ANY work on the front of the car (in the trunk area) ?

One wire supplies voltage to both headlight motors and that wire comes from the headlight switch and then crosses over from the drivers side headlight to the passenger side headlight.

So.. I'm betting the motor is bad if the passenger side works fine (it means voltage is present)

B
chikenfajita
but the motor goes up just fine. it just wont go down
Brad Roberts
Correct. I *think* they call it a switching diode... is bad in the motor.

Do a search on the site. Clay Perrine just posted a few days ago "How our headlight motors work"

B
chikenfajita
thanks man
ClayPerrine
Brad,

It's not a switching diode. There is a wiper contact in the motor. It can cause this. It acts like a switch on the motor to stop the motor when it opens. The relay just switches the power.

The thread with the wiring diagram is in the classics threads folder.

Chickenfajita... if you need help, just yell. I will be glad to give you advice on how to troubleshoot this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.