Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dashpad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chikenfajita
hello, i am currently fixing up the interior of my car and my dashboard is cracked an looks like crap, i need a new one. Anybody know of a place or website that sells new dashpads for less than $80. I bought what i thought was a dashpad off this one web site but what they sent me was a plastic shell that you glue over the pad. i dont want that crap. so anyone know where i can buy a real dashpad? driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif mmmmmm chiken chowtime.gif
Aaron Cox
talk to dr evil. he redid my dash in vinyl for a little over that.

Mike is his na me
Brad Roberts
NEW dashpads are available from Porsche (600$+) Most of us use a nice carpet/cloth dash cover.

You are correct:
crap
The glue on things are close to worthless.

B
markb
Talk to Dr. Evil. He's right there in San Diego. The plastic cover works great for attatching the dashmat to. wink.gif
scotty914
there are 2 different plastic dash caps out there, one looks good, the other looks like crap. i have the good one ( ebay years ago ) for like 40 bucks and you have to look and feel to able to tell its not oem. i can post pics tommarrow, if you want. i have even had people ask where and how much i pad for a new dash. the one thing i did was heat it up with a heat gun to get it to form to the ash try better.
chikenfajita
dr. evil. mmmm how much does he charge??? and where in san diego, im way east driving.gif driving.gif
Aaron Cox
hes in 'normal heights' his pricing is in the resources forum
Brad Roberts
Show us pics Aaron...

90% of the shops out there cannot get the transition correct from the gauge pod to the flat piece. It normally comes unglued within a few months of the sun beating down on it.

B
MarkV
I had mine done at a local upholstery shop a couple of years ago. It was $150 to recover it.
chikenfajita
looks good. its just a little above my budget driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Aaron Cox
wait till you have to buy 914 parts then.. i feel youl cry ohmy.gif

my car spends all my summer job money by january <_< , wait for tax returns to buy the rest of my shit...
chikenfajita
i have no trouble buying parts. my room is filled with parts. if somebody needs a small part that i might have i will be more than happy to send it to them.
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif party.gif
Dr Evil
Brad is absoleutely correct. The part from the gauge pod to the flat section will tarp. My shop tries to head that off at the pass by allowing it to do so originally, but that is just so it looks better. I have to disclose this to potential buyers so that they understand. Only one has had a problem with it, everyone else is thrilled.

Mark V, outstanding! If you could post more pictures I would be greatly appreciative. If it is better than what I can do I may want the guys address so that I can forward it onto my customers. I charge the same for a seamed and stitched version like the 916.

Chikenfajita, you can PM me and I may be able to give you a deal if I have a goup of stuff to do (which I am amassing). My covering info and pictures are on the bottom of my post in the link.
Where in San Diego are you?
MarkV
The guy that did mine used super glue on those inside corners that have a tendency to "tarp". He also used a die grinder on the existing dash cracks & filed them w/ bondo before he installed the new cover.

I will take some more photos & post them.
chikenfajita
well i actually live in tecate, mexico, about 30 miles from el cajon, but i go to school in spring valley. so im down there most of the time rocking nana.gif
Dr Evil
Superglue and bondo, no shit. Well I had figured the bondo thing, but I will have to look into the super glue deal. I want to fix them to be even better.

Chickenfajita, PM me (click on my name) and I'll see what I can do for you. I like to go to Tecate and cruz Lyons canyon road back to Jamul. You are not that far.
MarkV
asdf
MarkV
fghj
chikenfajita
awsome. i want mine to look like that
MarkV
through the glass
MarkV
Matching ash tray
MarkV
Gauge pod seam
Dr Evil
That is what the ones I do look like, but superglue as insurance is a good thing. Besides, it has been tested by you for a while in AZ of all places. I will be putting out even better dashes after Dec 16 when I graduate. With my first generation ones, I offer to have them fixed for free if not a small fee if they ever have the problem. My pictures look the same so my wordy description that I posted earlier kind confuses (even me). Thanks for the pics!
MarkV
Oops wrong photo
Dr Evil
Wow! Your ashtray seam is awsome. Do you have this guys info? Is the ashtray area seamed?
chikenfajita
very nice, i also see that you changed the texture of the front part of the dash where all the nobs and stuff are. or am i wrong
MarkV
The key to the super glue is to use "kicker". It is a spray on accelerator that makes the super glue bond instantly. They sell it a hobby shops.

I also had him do my targa pad.
MarkV
Ash tray is all one piece.

Took the basket weave off the dash & replaced it w/ the same material as the pad.
larryp
Mark and Dr.- Are these covers you can buy and install at home, or does the car need to be worked on by you guys?
Dr Evil
Nope, you can install and remove by your self. It is not too terribly hard. For mine, I just need you to send your dash to me, and then I return it, you install it, and you are happy biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(larryp @ Dec 2 2004, 08:29 AM)
Mark and Dr.- Are these covers you can buy and install at home, or does the car need to be worked on by you guys?

The dash top comes off by itself.

Like in this picture.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.