Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Crash at Pikes Peak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Britain Smith
This may be one reason I have yet to compete in a hillclimb event.

IPB Image
pcar916
Did this driver make it out alive?
yeahmag
Holy Crap!
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jul 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

IPB Image

That is terrible, hope the driver came out without injury.

Looks like he went off on the lower section and hit a rock or tree.

Just from the picture, no rear bars in the car and it doesn't look like he had front bars going to the shock towers, then forward to the torsion bar locations. The front just wadded up like there was nothing there.

I wouldn't run hill climbs without a complete end to end cage. And at Pikes Peak this is even more important as the average speeds are high (75mph for the fast guys) and now it's all paved.

And the car was running street tires.
brant
Depending on class it may have been in a vintage class most of the local vintage classes do not allow cages that tie into the suspension
brant
I know that car.
it was always called the "killer bee" back when it was a 4cylinder car
it changed hands 5 times and ended up at a shop in colorado springs
German Motor Craft.

I think Jack Heaveys assistant build it up and put a 6 into it
he claimed it to be a 2.0, but it had manifolds and case ID showing it to be a 2.4 if memory serves...

he added the flares and cage when he converted it. No vintage log book, so I'm not sure about the cage construction.

brant
R8CERX
Oh my....

I do hope the driver is ok--if anyone has more updates, please advise.

Woody
Holy shit.
URY914
Where'd you find the picture?
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 1 2013, 10:53 AM) *

Depending on class it may have been in a vintage class most of the local vintage classes do not allow cages that tie into the suspension

Someone should change the rules.
brant
Na. Better to have rules that line up with national rules. Makes it possible to get into things like the historics at Laguna.

Vintage racing needs to stay vintage
sixnotfour
electricc

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1db_1372700254
brant
160mph..

full run link
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 1 2013, 05:57 PM) *

160mph..

full run link

That's the average speed, right. Wow.
grantsfo
Yep he survived and no he wasn't in vintage class. Pikes peak open class. I think this particular crash it was a good thing he was in soft 40 yea old flexy flyer as it absorbed all energy of hitting rock on passenger side. A more rigid car may have injured him.

I posted YouTube of crash on axpaddock.com on thread there
bulitt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHYYlTZIZQ4

carr914
2 Things stick out for me

1 It always amazes me where spectators watch Rallies & Hill Climbs - that could have easily taken someone out

2 the Driver kicks the car like it's at Fault, when it is obviously he ran out of Talent
Woody
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 07:14 AM) *

2 Things stick put for me

1 It always amazes me where spectators watch Rallies & Hill Climbs - that could have easily taken someone out

2 the Driver kicks the car like it's at Fault, when it is obviously he ran out of Talent

agree.gif Its amazing more spectators don't get hurt at these events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_GqTeI4U0

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 1 2013, 08:14 PM) *

160mph..

full run link

Average was 87 but that's still amazing. He laid waste to old record. And he beat Millen. It was cool to watch it live this year.
Woody
In the 914 crash video, did you see how many guys were standing in the street so they could take pictures? Idiots.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jul 1 2013, 09:33 AM) *

IPB Image

Definitely not a sport for those with limited high speed track driving skills. I wouldn't even consider Pikes peak as its way too fast for my blood. Our regional events don't get anywhere near speeds they see on that mountain.

Woody
Classic lift throttle oversteer. icon8.gif
Mr.242
Looks like the driver made a small adjustment due to the dude who was kneeling near the fog line; clearly didn't help him.

But the biggest WOW. Check out the red lawn chair at the right front corner of the car after the car comes to rest. YIKES!
Woody
Yeah when I watched the video again it appears the driver may have reacted to the guy taking pictures.
1stworks
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 2 2013, 08:40 AM) *

Yeah when I watched the video again it appears the driver may have reacted to the guy taking pictures.

Good call...
Randal
QUOTE(1stworks @ Jul 2 2013, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 2 2013, 08:40 AM) *

Good call...

Sure looks like he lifted and turned a bit to move away from the guy in the blue shit. He was really cooking around that corner, like 4th gear.

Pikes Peak, now that it's totally paved, is fast driving everywhere. But unlike most tracks, where you could train yourself for that kind of speed, it will throw different weather at you on the way up. Super tough to do at 8 or 9 tenths!
Randal
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 2 2013, 07:14 AM) *

Looks like the driver made a small adjustment due to the dude who was kneeling near the fog line; clearly didn't help him.

But the biggest WOW. Check out the red lawn chair at the right front corner of the car after the car comes to rest. YIKES!

That is really unbelievable (red lawn chair). Guess people don't realize which way a car goes when it spins.

At Cascade Lakes I am always behind a tree, some obstacle, up on a hill or on the opposite side of the road from where a car will spin, when doing course work.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 1 2013, 10:36 PM) *

Yep he survived and no he wasn't in vintage class. Pikes peak open class. I think this particular crash it was a good thing he was in soft 40 yea old flexy flyer as it absorbed all energy of hitting rock on passenger side. A more rigid car may have injured him.

I posted YouTube of crash on axpaddock.com on thread there

Having all the suspension point tied down with a complete cage would have allowed him to recover that over steer situation.

I'll take the complete cage and the ability for the car to do what I need it to do.

You really never know how much flex is there until you correct it.
yeahmag
He absolutely steered to avoid the person taking pictures. That sucks.
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 08:14 AM) *

2 Things stick out for me

agree.gif
Rand
I'm not convinced he was trying to avoid a spectator. He was already drifting before he enters the frame of the video.

Not that it matters at this point. Sad that it happened.
carr914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 2 2013, 01:55 PM) *

I'm not convinced he was trying to avoid a spectator. He was already drifting before he enters the frame of the video.

I Agree - if he had kept at his original angle, he might have dropped the right front off the pavement and hooked it outside. He either corrected because of his angle or the guy taking pictures, but he definately made a move. He should have kept his Right Foot in after he corrected.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 2 2013, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 1 2013, 08:14 PM) *

160mph..

full run link

Average was 87 but that's still amazing. He laid waste to old record. And he beat Millen. It was cool to watch it live this year.

87 is crazy fast.

Fastest time at Cascade is like 68mph average. I'm at 64mph.
Randal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 11:29 AM) *

I Agree - if he had kept at his original angle, he might have dropped the right front off the pavement and hooked it outside. He either corrected because of his angle or the guy taking pictures, but he definately made a move. He should have kept his Right Foot in after he corrected.

Early apex?
URY914
That car is fucked.
yeahmag
The emblems on the back might be good still.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 2 2013, 11:56 AM) *

Early apex?

Yep way early and he held it and entered faster than he was capable of driving. He would have lost it regardless of guy taking picture. Classic example of running out of talent in a poorly setup car. He held way too tight of a line given his speed. He had tons of room and didn't use it. He also lifted to try to slow car down late exit. He was steering car rather than guiding it with brakes and throttle. All classic mistakes. He was driving on streets like he was on race tires too. He just misunderestimated turn entry and then lack of experience paid him back. That was entirely savable mistake.

Also listen to revs. He's completely off throttle. If I had been in seat next to him I would have been yelling throttle throttle throttle to save myself from that rock.
championgt1
icon8.gif Amazing he climbed out of that car.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 2 2013, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 2 2013, 11:56 AM) *

Early apex?

Yep way early and he held it and entered faster than he was capable of driving. He would have lost it regardless of guy taking picture. Classic example of running out of talent in a poorly setup car. He held way too tight of a line given his speed. He had tons of room and didn't use it. He also lifted to try to slow car down late exit. He was steering car rather than guiding it with brakes and throttle. All classic mistakes. He was driving on streets like he was on race tires too. He just misunderestimated turn entry and then lack of experience paid him back. That was entirely savable mistake.

Also listen to revs. He's completely off throttle. If I had been in seat next to him I would have been yelling throttle throttle throttle to save myself from that rock.

Those two offs on my corner worker shift at turn 9 at Cascade Lakes happened for the same exact reason. Drivers were both hugging the right hand side, for an upcoming right hand corner and early apexed before the road opened up. Turn 9 is pretty fast, but not a fourth gear corner like that guy was trying to take.

I told all the new guys I worked with on course that the safest way on any mountain road is to stay in the middle of the road (from Dan Thompson), do your braking in a straight line and don't turn in until you can see the exit of the corner. So important on mountain roads as the entry to corners can sometimes seem to go on forever and depending upon terrain and trees you can't just look ahead. Actually 9 at Cascade Lakes is a perfect example.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 2 2013, 11:06 PM) *

Those two offs on my corner worker shift at turn 9 at Cascade Lakes happened for the same exact reason. Drivers were both hugging the right hand side, for an upcoming right hand corner and early apexed before the road opened up. Turn 9 is pretty fast, but not a fourth gear corner like that guy was trying to take.

I told all the new guys I worked with on course that the safest way on any mountain road is to stay in the middle of the road (from Dan Thompson), do your braking in a straight line and don't turn in until you can see the exit of the corner. So important on mountain roads as the entry to corners can sometimes seem to go on forever and depending upon terrain and trees you can't just look ahead. Actually 9 at Cascade Lakes is a perfect example.

Yeah that Miata guy was way over his head and trying to get class record. Or was it somone else?

I was in 3rd most of uspper section. But then I get 92 MPH in 3rd gear. You would have known if I was in 4th as I would have been in the trees!

Im getting psyched for Hoopa! Although stockish motor just doesnt pull like blown one. Hoopa rewards big power and im donw 150 ponies.
brant
I don't know about this year...

but I know in years past they would only have enough time to shut down the road in order to practice just one section at a time....

so it was something like 2-3 runs up one-third of the course on wed
another couple of runs up the middle third on thursday
and finally a couple of runs up the top section on friday....

hard to learn the course that way
so with 156 corners on the course, only the guys that have been there year after year really know what kind of corner they are coming up to next...

new guys don't know if its an early or late apex.. if its decreasing or increasing radius...
sixnotfour
Thanks to Robert for the pics. You can google him and see more from PPIHC 2013
Trekkor
That's not "real" roll cage padding.

KT
Trekkor
Why go up the hill on street tires?

KT
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 2 2013, 04:37 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 07:14 AM) *

2 Things stick put for me

agree.gif Its amazing more spectators don't get hurt at these events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_GqTeI4U0

That's crazy Woody, but did you see this one on the same page? Title: Car crashes into humping cows! enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGe2E6p_Yg
SirAndy
Did anybody get the VIN?

poke.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jul 3 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Why go up the hill on street tires?

KT

Perhaps he heard it was raining at the top and didn't have proper grooved race tires? Who knows. I see a real mixed bag of cars at Hillclimbs. I don't think pikes peak is immune to hee haw factor.
sixnotfour
Red Chair Guy...
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F...amp;h=3AQEmDeVi
Woody
"That's my chair, that's my chair" Yeah, yer a lucky dumbass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.