Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 2143 type 4 and gearbox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
'73-914kid
Well, as of today, I've decided to do an engine swap. (It's a surprise, don't ask what it is yet)

So, that means that I need to get rid of my current drivetrain. Absolutely everything will be included, as well as the fresh gearbox with new synchros and bearings. All you have to do is bolt everything in/together, and go.

So, here's the skinny on the engine:
It's a 2143 cc type 4 with a 74mm stroke crankshaft, and 96mm pistons and cylinders. It's a nice square combination for bore/stroke and is a really nice running motor. I have put maybe 25,000 miles on it since I built it, so there's PLENTY of life left in it. The motor burns no oil at all, and gets around 30mpg on the freeway depending on your driving style.

Engine specs are:
-Schneider Cams carb cam. (similar to the webcam 86)
-Brand new Febi lifters
-Chromoly pushrods
-911 swivel foot adjusters (real german ones)
-Solid rocker spacers from Jake Raby
-Cylinder heads were rebuilt by Adrian at HeadFlow Masters in Vista with new stainless valves, new guides and seats, and any cracks welded and remachined
-Chamber work and porting performed by Sean Molloy at SD Autosport
-74mm welded and reground original crankshaft.
-96mm pistons and cylinders from AA pistons. I went through 3 packages of P&C's and found the 4 pistons and cylinders that were all perfectly round and in spec.
-Lightened flyweel.
-9:1 compression ratio.
-Scat deep sump pan. (Increases oil capacity an extra 1.5 quarts)
-Headflow masters oil pressure relief valve (I run 30 psi oil pressure at idle when the oil is at 210 degree F)
-Melling cast iron high volume pump

Induction:
-Weber 40 IDF carbs, jetted perfectly for the motor using 32mm venturis. Jetting performed using a wideband AFR.
-CFR throttle linkage, perfect sync, all day, every day
-CB performance long intakes, port matched to heads.
-AN-6 fuel fittings and stainless braided lines throughout the engine bay.
-K&N air filters

Exhaust:
-Kerry Hunter header
-Stainless steel magnaflow muffler, exits on the passenger side. Sounds awesome, and not at all like a VW for those of you who would be concerned.

Ignition:
-Mallory Unilite, and MSD plug wires both purchased from Chris Foley at CFR.
-MSD 6AL rev limiting ignition box
-MSD blaster 2 high vibration coil

(Also included will be my Autometer sport comp tach that is wired directly to the MSD box. )

The engine tin was all Powder coated red, and has held up great.

The gearbox was rebuilt 2 years ago with new synchros and bearings where they needed to be replaced. It shifts great with fresh bushings.

I've done oil changes religiously every 3,000 miles, and "checked" on valves at the same time, however I think I've done actual valve adjustments at the 12,000 mile mark. I think 2 exhaust valves were maybe .001" loose..

Long story short, this is a 100% complete package for someone who wants to drop in a complete drivetrain and go, and go quickly. This motor pulls strong, and has run absolutely flawless for me over the past 2 years. It's been a daily driver, and most of the miles were all easy freeway miles.

Everything is still in my car, so if you're interested, come on over and drive it in the car. I'm certain you'll be impressed with the power and smoothness of the motor.

Looking to get $5000 for the entire package. It literally is a bolt in package for someone who wants a hot type 4, but doesn't want to go through the hassle of building a motor combo, and collecting all the parts, and then going through the process of tuning it. Dont be afraid to shoot me an offer for it, never hurts to ask.

Thanks, Ethan
IPB Image
IPB Image
76-914
Does this mean I'd better get that cherry picker back soon? biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif
'73-914kid
Nope..engine removal only requires a jack for a heart transplant from this donor... happy11.gif
tadink
wow, sweet setup! any idea how many horsies that thing generates?

how's the power curve - good for AX??

interested....

td
'73-914kid
Unfortunately, it's never seen a dyno..

I found that the torque curve was nice and linear the whole way through the rpm range, which came to be quite nice for when i autocrossed the car. The motor pulls hardfrom about 1700 rpm to about 6100 rpm, but i currently have the engine limited with a 5k rpm chip. it will pull clear to 6, but for a daily driver, i wanted to make myself honest, and not put too much wear and tear on it by spinning it much higher than 5k.

It definitely has some serious low end grunt...
euro911
This is a great deal for a complete drive train of that caliber aktion035.gif
sean_v8_914
thats funny boy. i've never seen you go over 5 grand. you cringed when I buzzed it. this engine has nice flat torque curve that comes on early and stays there. i am impressed with the level of research and attention to detail that went into this package.
'73-914kid
Haha, yeah, I'm usually a wimp when it comes to RPM.. I was interested to see how far past 5k RPM it would pull, so I pulled the chip out.
sean_v8_914
those heads stop at 6k without use of a tangerine type extractor. what valve springs are in there? i think it would need fancier valve train to go beyond that anyway
force=mas x acceleration
what cam? i forgot.
'73-914kid
The cam is Schneiders version of the WebCam 86, and the valve springs are new Mercedes springs, which are considered Heavy Duty IIRC. It also has chromoly valve spring retainers.
'73-914kid
icon_bump.gif

I'll even add in the rain tray i modified to fit around the air filters due to the tall CB performance intakes, as well as the rear valance that was cut and welded for put the exhaust exit on the passneger side.

I can also deliver to within a 45 minute drive from Vista for those interested. The assembly is coming out this weekend, so if someone wants to drive it before they buy it, now would be a good time..
914rat
PM sent .
914rat
Nice motor BTW .
'73-914kid
Friday bump...

I forgot to add, if someone is interested in just the engine, and everything goes along with that, sans gearbox for $4,250. I'm not opposed to shipping it, but I would prefer to sell it to someone local.

Someone has to need a bulletproof type 4...
LotusJoe
PM sent
lonewolfe
I'm curious, how loud is the car over a stock setup? Also, any issues with the motor overheating? Are you running an oil cooler?

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jul 12 2013, 02:35 PM) *

PM sent

JamesM
Curious what pistons and rods you used in this build? 74mm stroke seems like a good way to bump displacement without having to add a bunch of spacers under the cylinders.

'73-914kid
Stock rods, and the standard 71mm stroke wrist pin height for the 96mm pistons.
eric9144
icon_bump.gif
GLWTS Ethan! beerchug.gif
'73-914kid
Thanks for all the kind words everyone, the package is Sold Pending funds and will be making it's way out to Colorado!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.