Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sawzall and the engine mount bar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I need to drop a 1.7 out of a really rusted '72. I don't want to get under the car since the doors are the only thing holding it together ohmy.gif

I think it would be quicker and safer to just cut the bar (maybe at the bolts?) and the tranny mounts.

Will a sawzall-smiley.gif cut through the engine bar okay? I wish I had a plasma torch welder.gif welder.gif

Cheers
URY914
The late model bar is cast iron. Don't try it.

I would try grinding off the bolt heads with a mini grinder first.
rick 918-S
I would think it would be easier just to lay on the floor and reach 6" under the car with a ratchet and remove the nuta from the mount bolts. Plasma torches are cool but can cause fires easy.
URY914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 2 2004, 05:47 AM)
I would think it would be easier just to lay on the floor and reach 6" under the car with a ratchet and remove the nuta from the mount bolts. Plasma torches are cool but can cause fires easy.

I agree, just unbolt it. You'll still need to get under it to disconnect everything (shift rod, acc. and clutch cable, starter wiring etc, etc, etc) anyways.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.