Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- MR2 Spyder anyone driven one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
My B-in law seen a MR2 Spyder a few days ago and now he is thinking about buying one. He is going to look at them this weekend but was wondering if I knew anyone that has one and what they like and don't like about it. They look ok, not what I would want, but hey he likes it.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Talked to a few owners at SCCA auto-x that run them. Look like fun, well engineered cars. The only thing I don't get is if Porsche can build a mid-engined car with two trunks (914 & Boxster) then how can the MR2 have close to zero storage? That would be my only issue with the car. Performace is on par with the price and similar to Miata. Lots of aftermarket goodies and enthusiast web boards.
Bruce Allert
Drove one when they first came out. FUN!!! Scared the crap outta the sales guy when he took me on some twisties beer.gif Was seriously considering getting one when I sold the Vette but, as mentioned above, there is no storage sad.gif

.......b
Root_Werks
I had an 85' a while back. Very fun little cars, with heat! laugh.gif But yep, NO trunk space at all. I remember picking up someone from the airport once. I couldn't even fit her one suitecase in the rear well.

Never driven one of the spiders, but looked at them a couple of times. Seem to still have the same trunk space issue.
Meredith
I believe Tom Trudell (carreraguy) has one. Or maybe it's his son. Anyway, talk to him. All I know is they're pretty nice-looking little things.
mattillac
fun car to drive. but the sequential transmission seems to get a little sloppy with higher
mileage.
Demick
Toyota just announced that this car along with the Celeca are going out of production due to low sales.

Personally, I'd get a Miata long before I'd get an MR2 Spyder.

Demick
silver2.0
I would by an older turbo mr2 before a new model. I drove one and they are gutless as hell. They make my 2.0 teener feel powerful. I would go for an s2000 if it was my money. A low milage one can be picked up for less than a new mr2.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Meredith @ Dec 2 2004, 08:33 AM)
I believe Tom Trudell (carreraguy) has one. Or maybe it's his son. Anyway, talk to him. All I know is they're pretty nice-looking little things.

Yep, my son has one.

It handles like a roller skate on steroids; lots of fun to autocross. Its a tight fit for me at 6'0" 200lbs. When my son gets home from work I'll ask him to post some comments. I do know they have a very active BBS. Attached was taken at the WCC autox.
howardchen327
The third generation MR2 SUCKS! (performance wise) The best MR2 to buy is the previous generation. The 95 MR2 is well known....they r still very expensive. The twin turbo model is the best!!!
J P Stein
The Mr2 Spyder is *very* competiitive in SCCA C Stock & C Street Prepared. One won the Nats in CSP & another was 3rd in CS. Youz guys really need to get out more biggrin.gif

My DD is a 93 Mr2 turbo. Reliable as a brick & now has 120K miles on it.
dlo914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 3 2004, 12:15 AM)
My DD is a 93 Mr2 turbo. Reliable as a brick & now has 120K miles on it.

NICE!!! before getting the 914 i was gonna get a 91' mr2 (n/a) , but then thought those were making a come back and were becoming more common. AND settled with a 14 rolleyes.gif
nynone4
My wife and I had a Spyder when the first came out. Great car - but as it's been said, the storage capacity sucks. I raced the car locally with the SCCA, and it made me look good. Witth the rightt combination of tires and creative alignment, the car is VERY competitive. My wife found a Boxster she wanted, so the car was traded off. I still miss it. I would buy a Spyder again over a Miata any day. biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks for the input everyone beer.gif

Its a tight fit for me at 6'0" 200lbs

My B inlaw might have a problem then. He is 6'1" 200ish wink.gif Talking with him last night, he is also going to look at Mini's. He like the look of the Cooper S.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Dec 3 2004, 10:02 AM)
My B inlaw might have a problem then. He is 6'1" 200ish wink.gif Talking with him last night, he is also going to look at Mini's. He like the look of the Cooper S.

I'm 6'0", 200ish wink.gif , and the Cooper S is the first car I've ever driven that I can drive without the seat pushed all the way back. There wouldn't be room for a passenger behind me, but for such a small looking package, I am amazed at how roomy it feels inside. Super fun to drive, and fairly economical to boot!

Though the other Mini drivers I encounter are not nearly as nice (or fun) as the 914 crowd clap56.gif
MattR
I'm 6'4" and sat in my friends '92 turbo and it was TIGHT. Another friend had a 88 celica alltrac that was TIGHT also.

The only car Ive driven yet that doesnt require the seat all the way back is my 67 912. It has more legroom then my mom's 02 explorer (for the driver)!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.