Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor Tar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bulitt
Scraping the tar off my 1970 floorpans. Was wondering...
They obviously put this stuff down in sheets.
Did they heat the car to bond it? or figured the Sun would take care of it.
Why didnt they paint the floors prior?

So I always thought they laid down a flat product. But as many might have discovered, here is what I found.

Click to view attachment

A hexagon pattern on the floor.
But why?
Easy to re-position?
Allow flexibility?
Maybe to keep separated in shipping? confused24.gif
Mr.242
Bottom piece that sat on the wires shelf of the factory? confused24.gif

I don't remember seeing that on mine when I removed it.

Review of my pictures on the build, reminded me that I did have the same pattern. Damn, I hate getting old. But to my defense: I didn't dwell, contemplate, or even care about anything but getting that tar off the floor pans.
scotty b
From my experience that pattern change over the years. I don't recall which was first, but I have seen that hex pattern on some and a straight line pattern on others. I doubt seriously the car was heated, most likely the tar was heated. That is how I have done 356 door jamb tar over the years. Set it in place, heat with a heat gun, and press down. I suspect that is pretty close to how the factory did it confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 2 2013, 11:05 AM) *

agree.gif

Probably just the last sheet from the shelf ...
idea.gif
bulitt
Hmmm- Dont read German. Tar? Polyester?

DÄMMSCHAUM-MATTE mit Oberflächenprägung, 10mm
DÄMMSCHAUM-MATTE mit Oberflächenprägung, 10mm
Click to view attachment

27,91 EUR

19 % VAT incl. excl. Shipping costs
Product no.: ISO-911

Große Dämmschaum-Matte aus grauem Polyesterschaum mit strukturierter Oberfläche, selbstklebend. Dieses Material dient zur Geräuschdämmung und Wärmeisolierung. Mit der gut aussehenden Oberflächenprägung kann der Dämmschaum auch sichtbar eingesetzt werden, z.B. im Motorraum, im Kofferraum und an der Heckklappe von Fahrzeugen. Dämmschaum eignet sich auch zur Dämmung von Lieferwagen und Wohnmobilen.

Einfach zu verarbeiten: die Matte läßt sich mit einer guten Schere zuschneiden. Anschließend Folie abziehen - ankleben - fertig.

Diese Dämmschau-Matte ist ca. 10mm dick und 100x160cm groß.
bulitt
Early 911-

IPB Image

Looks like this stuff was (is) produced by Wurth. Bitumen Sound deadening pads. Used to reduce noise and dampen engine drone.
Thinking the honeycomb pattern was used to help separate the sheets, or the manufacturing machine might have had a roller with this pattern that prevented the product from sticking (small surface area). Wurth continues to sell two products one for GM OEM replacement and the bitumen sheets(now with polyester backing). I am assuming these old sheets are highly flammable once ignited. Which maybe a good reason to remove them.
scotty b
Not highly flammable. they melt more than anything, but they will ignite and burn. I use a MAPP gas torch to get it out without any flame ups
bulitt
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 2 2013, 02:05 PM) *

I don't remember seeing that on mine when I removed it.

Review of my pictures on the build, reminded me that I did have the same pattern. Damn, I hate getting old. But to my defense: I didn't dwell, contemplate, or even care about anything but getting that tar off the floor pans.

I really dont care about the tar either, just wanted to sneak a thread by Garvey biggrin.gif
THE STIG
My car had the exact same honeycomb pattern, March 1970 build.
rjames
My '75 had a 'lined' pattern. Wow, talk about minutiae. biggrin.gif
scotty b
interesting. A 86 911 i have in has the hex pattern, Cairo's 6 has the lined pattern. I don't think it is yearly related, maybe 2 different suppliers ? confused24.gif

You want minutia ? Go hang out on the 356 Registry or Early S registry sometime . The land of date stamped wheels blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.