Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad Day in Racing!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
The Oak Tree at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) Broke at it's Base & toppled over!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 02:42 PM) *

The Oak Tree at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) Broke at it's Base & toppled over!

blink.gif No way! That blows. Think about how much weight that thing supported... and how many great races and racers passed beneath it.

I mean no disrespect given Simonsen's awful crash at Le Mans, but the only real "natural" landmarks that I can thing of that are as iconic are the trees along Tetre Rouge.
tomeric914
Think of the shade and protection from the elements that it provided for the flagging station! Cut it up and sell pieces of the tree as mementos?

Back in 1957:

IPB Image

Great history of VIR here: http://www.virhistory.com/vir.html
Drums66
.....Somebody Hugged it too tight!(sad day)
bye1.gif driving.gif
popcorn[1].gif
bulitt
We have had some terrible storms in the last several days. sad2.gif
And matter of fact its been raining for a month.

IPB Image
URY914
Plant another one.
carr914
Planting another Tree where another has died is not a good Idea

They should have a BonFire Cookout with Tasties from other Tracks - Brats from Siebkens at Road America, a little Wine from the Watkins Glen Area, Gator Tail from Sebring etc
SirAndy
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 2 2013, 12:45 PM) *
IPB Image

Did they build the little rotunda with wood from the fallen tree?
idea.gif
ConeDodger
Make furniture...
scotty b
Sucks sad.gif The rain and wind around here for the last 2 months have been abnormally strong. Damn near hurricane conditions at times. That tree out in the open, and as old as it is, was a prime target for damage sad.gif That second pic shows how lopsided it was too which didn't help
carr914
This Shows How Bad the Tree's Health was - I'm sure the Dog Piss didn't Help!

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 2 2013, 07:37 PM) *

This Shows How Bad the Tree's Health was - I'm sure the Dog Piss didn't Help!

They, like us all, do have a lifetime. When they get old they become more susceptible to fungi which makes it's way into the center of the tree through holes in the cambrium (the hole in this one looks like very old lightning strike).

Eventually the weight of the tree itself, plus damage becomes too much for the tree to support. A good strong breeze has claimed many a Live Oak.

Sad day, but glad I'm old enough to remember watching cars pass beneath the limbs. beerchug.gif
championgt1

We have had some terrible storms in the last several days. sad2.gif
And matter of fact its been raining for a month.

IPB Image

sad.gif Just not the same!
carr914
RIP Oak Tree

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
We had a similar tree on our ranch here in CA. Big beautiful, and takes a very long time to grow back. RIP

rfuerst911sc
I really think they should make a automotive/racing carving out of it as a tribute to the track and the tree. Display it somewhere on the campus and preserve the memory of it. I can't imagine how many amateur and professional drivers have passed under her limbs over the years........RIP
ellisor3
Send it to Morgan, they will build a car out of it. piratenanner.gif
bulitt
IPB Image
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2013, 03:22 PM) *

IPB Image

idea.gif

Not new. That has been the flagging station for the last few years since VIR reopened. It WAS under the tree sad.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 3 2013, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2013, 03:22 PM) *

IPB Image

idea.gif

Not new. That has been the flagging station for the last few years since VIR reopened. It WAS under the tree sad.gif

No it wasn't. TC's picture below was what was under the tree. I've got video from last November to back that up.

IPB Image
scotty b
I'll admit, it may not have been there since they re-opened , but it was done well before the tree came down AND that pic does show the flagging station under the tree so, yes they put a f-ing roof on it since ? Let's nit pick now shall we.....
tomeric914
Not nit-picking. The old one was rectangular. The new one is an octagon.

What was there was destroyed when the tree fell.

IPB Image
scotty b
VIR announced the felling yesterday. From what I gather from customers who are VIR regulars, the tree fell on ....yesterday. There is no scheduled race until July 14. So they rushed to build this ALL NEW 6 sided station in one day ? Not trying to be a dick, but the place is 1.5 hours from my parents house. I have 5+ customers that race there monthly, and I've been there once or twice myself.
tomeric914
Gazebos can be bought pre-built and delivered on a roll back. No need to build. smile.gif

carr914
sad.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachmentThe Track without the Oak

r_towle
Good lesson, don't walk all over the roots at the bottom of a tree, it makes it impossible for the tree to absorbe nutrients and stay tough .

bulitt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2013, 04:50 PM) *

Good lesson, don't walk all over the roots at the bottom of a tree, it makes it impossible for the tree to absorbe nutrients and stay tough .

Very True. Probably 50 yrs ago some flagger wanted to get out of the sun, hence the location of the flag box. Really should be located prior to the curve however have seen lots of spins coming out of the corner. Sadly I havent made it to the track yet this season. Maybe I will plant a tree when I get there. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.