Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WY, TX, NM, UT, CO gathering.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
brant
Yesterday I hijacked a thread in the worst way.
so I'm going to start this as its own thread.
Eric, I'm hoping that you and Joe join in on this.

Joe, I don't know if you like or dislike the idea but eric threw out Moab as a potential meeting place that is kinda central...

I know moab sounds great to me and a number of colorado guys love the idea too....

Plus I have some contacts in that region (colorado western slope- grand junction) that are 914 friendly, so we could have some sort of a safety net at least.....

and I think I could round up a few 914 people from grand junction too.. (there must be 20 914 racers in that town although most of them are VERY serious race cars with no street abilitiy.)

So chat up..
what do you guys think about picking a date that is prior to the full heat of the summer...

maybe june.

what else do we need to decide before room reservations and attendance reservations are put into place.

I was tenatively thinking about:
-people travel on saturday.
-meet on saturday afternoon.
-a saturday tour.
-a big saturday dinner.
-a sunday morning gathering and then people drive home.

I know it sounds kinda simple, but I'm open minded.
For those traveling from afar, I would be very willing to help provide friday lodging in the denver area and then you'd be welcome to join our saturday caravan. (hey, I've got a spare bedroom if you don't mind dogs)

ok.. chat it up everyone....

brant
brant
Vegas racer,

oops... I left our nevada..
of course anyone from any state would be welcome to attend.

(cept maybe ron/slits, cause we can't have his negative attitude and unhelpfullness drag us good folk down)

brant
Series9
Obviously, I'd be up for it. I have a list of members who replied to my original post which can be found in the last entry on that thread, if you'd like to look.
brant
Joe,

how long of a haul would moab be for you?
do you and the people you've been talking too have any specific dates in mind?

brant
brant
Joe,

I grabbed some of your list:

cha914
vsg914
Brant
Hammer920
David_S
Gint
Gopack
MarkG
Mountain914 and
914RS (me)
Series9
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 2 2004, 10:34 AM)
Joe,

how long of a haul would moab be for you?
do you and the people you've been talking too have any specific dates in mind?

brant

Moab would be about 6 hours for me. No biggie.

I don't have any dates yet. After WCC, sometime in the summer would be best.

If you'd like to take over planning (not that any real planning is done), I give you full control. Although I wanted to plan a NM event, I was concerned about my summer flying schedule and the possibility of being called out to work at the last minute.

It would be better for the organizer to be sure they can attend. cool.gif

I'm out of town right now, so I won't have a computer near at all times.
flyloki
Might as well throw Idaho in too.

Moab sounds good but will be hot by June. It's real nice in Mar-Apr-May...
Joshporsche
I'm in!
Now i just need to get my car running so it will be in
ClayPerrine
OK.. I will ask.. Where is MOAB? What state? What city is it close to?
Series9
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 2 2004, 11:21 AM)

SE Utah. It's not close to anything.
brant
QUOTE(914RS @ Dec 2 2004, 10:58 AM)

I don't have any dates yet. After WCC, sometime in the summer would be best.

If you'd like to take over planning (not that any real planning is done), I give you full control. Although I wanted to plan a NM event, I was concerned about my summer flying schedule and the possibility of being called out to work at the last minute.

It would be better for the organizer to be sure they can attend. cool.gif

I'm out of town right now, so I won't have a computer near at all times.

Joe,

guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too..
I mean, I'm in the same boat where I'm trying to finish my race car by spring, and have no extra time to devote to new car projects/planning....

yet I would like to have this gathering...
guess I can't have it both ways.

I'm trying to avoid the spring, as dyno-tuning plus small problems will be really sucking up every last second on my race car and I will not be available what so ever.....

maybe a fall date if people are too worried about the heat of june.

brant
Eric_Shea
Pictures are worth 1000 words. Here's some...
Eric_Shea
like roads?
Eric_Shea
Petroglyphs...
Eric_Shea
Camping along the CO
Eric_Shea
May need one of these... confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Arches
Eric_Shea

It's close to the city of Moab biggrin.gif

Real city with real hotels etc. Red Rock capital of the world. Mountain Bike and Jeep Jamboree mecca. Home of Arches National Park and some of the finest roads on the planet.

Here's a link to my friends Boxster page. He puts on some of the most spectacular Red Rock tours... seriously, it will give you an idea of what can be acheived.

Jack Brittain's Red Rock Run
Rhodes71/914
Wifes parents live in Midvale/Sandy area Utah would be fun to make a visit to the inlaws and a 914 event all in one. Guess if it is going to be Moab I will have to tow the 914 with the Land Rover. Can't go to Moab without a 4wd. Oh and the mountain bikes to, haven't ridden slick rock since '94.

Spent New Years in Moab about 4 years ago, camp fire along the river, beautiful place.

Put me down as a possible.

Sean Rhodes
Eric_Shea
Here's a link off that site. Jack's laid everything out including route and lodging.

Try This One
StratPlayer
Yea,,, Moab sounds great, really familiar with that area, I did a lot of seismic work in that area. Count me in.
brant
Eric,

thanks for the pictures...
I still think this is all a great Idea...

we still have no date commitment yet...

you wanna take over any of the planning (you seem to know all the details) ?

brant
Eric_Shea
I'll help but "take over"... ahhhhhhh not at this time. I got tons on my plate (wouldn't mind having a job first).

It could be something we do with Jack or it could be as simple as plagerizing his instructions in my second link post (I don't think he'd mind).

I would recommend Spring or Fall. Temps in the summer are commonly in the 105-110 range.

It is a great idea. The roads are phenominal. I know of some hidden petroglyphs and ruins (cliff dwellings) down that way as well. I'll bet Jim does too.

I would say we gauge interest and use all or part of what Jack has put together. I have the same mapping programs that they used to develop those. We could do a simple two day RRC and use a host hotel in the city (Moab that is). There's plenty of drives we could spider web out from there (Arches NP tour, etc.) Great restaurants and brew pubs hidding down there as well. There's even a Winery (yes a winery in Utah) we could tour.

So... I could help but, I'm a little reticent about a "take over". beerchug.gif
BMartin914
Dates are a big concern for me, mostly because of the temps. My 2.0 runs real hot in the summer and w/out an oil cooler, the hot months suck for this 914.

I've spent some time in the Mounment Valley area and the roads are awesome. Really need to be able to take advantage of them and the car and push the motor.
brant
Eric,

that all sounds good to me.

I'll take part of the reins too.

since everyone is in agreement that the summer is too hot. We should pick dates then...
Not trying to sound self centered, but I know that I will just be too busy in the spring to attend (and I'd like to come)...

of course it could well happen without me.

but if I get to vote, I'd like to suggest a fall time slot so that I can try and come also?

Any conscensus on the date?

brant
BMartin914
You gotta be there Brant! We miss you! Haven't been around lately working on that SWEET race car of yours.

Fall is the best time for teeners anyway.
brant
ben,

kind of ya...
So what could a good fall date be, taking into account the weather?

would it be sepetember?

brant
VegasRacer
Red Rock Classic 2005 sounds great. boldblue.gif Moab is 480 miles from Vegas. Remember the WCC is April 22 - 25. We don't want to conflict with our own other event. Spring would be good. I love white water rafting. Fall would be nice too. I'm open for whenever you pick.

I imagine a lot of us will have a long enough drive that we would be arriving sometime on Friday for an event that starts on Saturday. Could we plan a half day of activities on Friday and Sunday with a full day of 914 fun on Saturday?
RonD
Brant

I've been thinking maybe mid September would be a good time.

The aspens start to turn in Colorado then so we could even get some fall colors in on the trip to or back from Moab.
Ferg
This sounds really really good, and I would like to help make it happen, whatever dates we decide on. It's not looking good for me making the WCC 05 right now, (with a running car anyhow) so this would be a good alternative.
Ferg.
brant
vegas racer,

good point on the travel plans and need for an extended version of the itinerary..

I'm getting lots of september and october suggestions (some from colorado guys off this list)

what about: 9/24-25, or: 10/15-16

?

brant
majkos
Any chance on Sept. 14th? biggrin.gif
It'll be 9/14!
I like the idea of a color trip aktion035.gif
It'll give people a lot of time to get it together, and you Brant,
with yours! driving.gif
balthazar
Hey Brant, put me on your list! smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
I don't care what we do as long as we go to Moab. I love Moab. Even if I can't take my 914, I'll take my Jeep. Then I can go 4 wheelin, I'll have temporary shelter, AC, camping gear and even bikes if I so desired. Easy drive from Denver also. If you don't count trying to keep a 30+ carbed car running at 11k feet that is. The trick is not to stop up there. Or stop pointed downhill. It's all worth that last hour of the drive down Hwy 128 along the canyon and the Colorado River. It's also a perfect 914 road.

I'm in!

Mid September would allow for comfortable camping as well. Anywhere from there to mid October sounds great to me.
echocanyons
I love the redrocks, I should have my car finished by then.

I would be in for a sept event
BMartin914
I'm starting to think that September (mid to late) would be best. Hopefully encounter some cooler weather and possibly miss the tourist season (if that is at all possible).

I would love to put some real miles on my car now that its almost 100% - if that is ever possible with a 914 cool.gif
brant
Kevin, ok..9/14. Of course that is a wednesday, so you'll be our pre-party scout...

corby, this is my list so your on....

Mike G, any chance the orange car could come play?

echocanyons, yea!... please come. the more the merrier. You can be our token California guy that we pick on then.

Eric, how much of the boxter route should we steal? and does anyone want to pitch in to help develop an itinerary?

brant
Series9
Brant,

I'll help with the planning. Although the three of us are busy, I'll bet you, Eric and I can handle it together.

It looks like September is the most popular time, so I'll go with that.
brant
Joe, that would be great... and extremely appreciated.

what kind of wonderful "event" ideas can we plan?

b
Eric_Shea
Eric, how much of the boxter route should we steal? and does anyone want to pitch in to help develop an itinerary?

Jack has "researchedthelivingshit" out of this stuff and I would recommend stealing as much as possible. HOWEVER, that being said, his is a "tour" and ours is an "event" based out of Moab Utah.

If we are limited to a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) "and" paved roads (which... uhhhh, I think we are), I would recommend an "Arches National Park" Saturday and possibly some scenic drives Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Saturday would be our peak day with "all" attendees. Arches can keep the group busy for an entire day. The walk to "Delicate Arch" will take 45-60 minutes each way. There's some hidden petroglyphs along that walk that they don't publicize.

So... first question:

How Many Days?

I'm guessing 3-4. Yes?
Eric_Shea
IRPCA has a hotel contact there as well... I'll check into it.
StratPlayer
Well, this looks like its humming right along, yea eric, I know where a ton of indian ruins are but you aren't going to get to them in a teener LOL. Sept. is a good month, the knats won't drive you crazy. 3 day event sounds just great. Lot of things to do in Moab. Could drive down to Newspaper Rock, and then into canyon lands, wooden shoe arch, then a bit of a hike into the mazes. The roads are in very good shape and there are some twistizes (sp). Great ride with the top off and a nice day,,, sure glad I have a front mounted oil cooler.
Series9
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2004, 10:01 AM)
Joe, that would be great... and extremely appreciated.

what kind of wonderful "event" ideas can we plan?

b

I like the idea of having the event run from Friday to Sunday. So I guess we're talking about 9/16/05-9/18/05.

Friday should be for meeting people as they arrive from around the region and shooting the shit. Dedicated parking at the host hotel would be good and dinner/beer at an appropriate local establishment. I would be willing to make these arrangements.

Saturday, I would defer to Eric and his contacts to set up a twisty tour of the area. Perhaps set it up as a poker run style event where we could give out some *sponsor* goodies.

We should discuss Sunday and take a poll of how many attendees would need to leave mid day versus how many could stay until the afternoon. Then, we could make an appropriate plan.
Ferg
I like the sound of how this is all coming together. I know the area pretty well, and unless a lot has changed a good lot for auto-x may be hard to come by...
I also like the friday to sunday idea, plenty of time to hang out, and also let people do their own thing if they like.
I for sure will bring my bike and plan at least a slickrock ride sunday before I head back, anyone is welcome to join me.

Ferg.
brant
wow... great...

eric and joe thanks so much.
I love it.

3 days sounds good.

would you guys be willing to do 9/23-24-25?

(our colorado club race is 9/17/18and I'm already committed to attending)

but this isn't all about me and I don't want to dictate anything..

I love the arches Idea for saturday..
how about a sunday morning thing and then break up around noon.

brant
Series9
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2004, 11:20 AM)
wow... great...

eric and joe thanks so much.
I love it.

3 days sounds good.

but this isn't all about me and I don't want to dictate anything..

I love the arches Idea for saturday..
how about a sunday morning thing and then break up around noon.

brant

9/23-25 is fine this me. Hopefully the CO weather will cooperate for the guys traversing the state.

Finishing at noon on Sunday would be fine. Perhaps a group lunch at a nice establishment. We'll need to come up with something engaging for that morning.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 3 2004, 10:20 AM)

I checked the Moab calendar of events. There is a Chamber Music Festival Sept. 2 - 17. The following weekend would prolly be better with a few less peeps in town.
brant
So Sunday morning...

how about a Two and a half hour tour and then a noon lunch gathering.

Which of these great locations would take around that long...

Ferg, you know the trails and I'm sure others do also.. So I think you should help lead a mountain bike option as one of the events...

brant
Gint
Every 914 event doesn't have to include an AX IMO. I don't see the need for it.

9/23-24-25 works for me.

QUOTE(Ferg Posted on Dec 3 2004 @ 11:18 AM)
I for sure will bring my bike and plan at least a slickrock ride sunday before I head back, anyone is welcome to join me.

I'm with ya...
brant
FYI: I got a call from one of the colorado guys (Rex, thanks for doing all of this) who wanted to explore the autox idea. He made some calls, and was told that the high school parking lot is big enough and is used for other events.. so could possibly be available..

If anyone feels strongly about following-up or pushing the auto-x idea, feel free.

I've never personally set up one and have no clue what the liability issues would be. Rex said that he also hasn't headed an auto-x so just wanted to let people know.

but here is the contact info anyways:
robert riberia is with the Moab travel council at 1-800-635-6622.

I'm ok either way, and we could always add events the following year if needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.