Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing Ring Nuts??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Howdy,

I'm almost ready to put my engine back together. I've been double and triple checking all the procedures in the Haynes manual. And as luck would have it, I keep coming up with more questions!!!

The six big case through bolts have specialized nuts on their ends. The manual describes them as "sealing ring nuts". My old ones had a red material in there that must have been the sealing stuff. It was dry, brittle, and some had chipped out.

So here's my question:
Do I need to replace them?
If so, who has them?

The manual says to put them on with the sealing ring faces OUTWARDS.
Why?

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers
Nate
McMark
I've never actually tried to get them but there are a couple of VW shops in my town that are good that I'm sure would be able to acquire them for me if I asked.
Jake Raby
If you install the nut with the seal inwards it effects clamping pressure and it will loosen the first time it gets hot..

Honestly, they are not needed. We use permatex thread sealant on the washer and nut and never have a leak with the stock nuts ground flat on a belt sander..
Natedog
THANKS!

I'll follow Jake's advice and grind flat the side where the sealant stuff was. Then I'll use thread sealant on it.

Cheers
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.