Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil regulating valve and pressure valve????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Howdy,

I've got another question related to my engine rebuilding......

How in the world do I get the oil pressure relief valve out? There is a BIG brass screw head covering it. It's in Figure 15.4 in the Haynes manual. I'd like to get it out now before I put the engine back together to clean it up and inspect it.

Where the heck is the regulating valve as shown in Figure 1-24, items 24-27 and described in section 15.5??? I can't see it on my case. I have a 1973 2.0 case. Is there NOT supposed to be one on a 73 case??

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Nate

Ok - gotta get to work now!
damn! headbang.gif
Jake Raby
To remove the large pressure relief plug whack on it a few times with a hammer and it'll loosen right up with a big screwdriver...

I don't have the book in front of me but if you are talking about the other valve between the pushrod tubes of the #1 cylinder- All 914 engines had them, the only engines that did not were Hydraulic lifter equipped busses.
McMark
Okay, the big brass "screw" can be taken out with a chisel and an adjustable wrench. Don't hit the chisel with a hammer, just put it in the slot, put the adjustable wrench on it tight and down low near the "screw". Turn the wrench and it'll turn the "screw". Sometimes just a BFSD (big friggin screw driver) will work too.

I don't have my Haynes handy, so I can't look up the figures you're referencing. sad.gif
McMark
The other plug (between the pushrods, Jake is talking about) can be removed with a 3/8" extension with no socket on it. Just the entension is the perfect size.
Natedog
THANKS!

I'll try getting the big one out tonight and give another look for the regulating valve down by the pushrod tubes.

Cheers
Nate
Natedog
OK -

I got the big Oil Relief Valve out. Complete with screw cap, washer, spring, and piston. I cleaned it up and it's ready to go back in. OK

The other valve, down by the pushrods and #1 cylinder, didn't go as well. The cap came off with the end of the socket wrench as suggested; the spring and washer came out; but NO piston?! I couldn't say for sure if it is in there or not?!!? What should I do?

Haynes says something about backing out the piston with a threaded bolt, but that sounds pretty drastic to me. Furthermore, the Haynes manual is confusing me with this procedure.

Is the valve down by the pushrods also known as the Regulating Valve? That's the name that is described in Haynes on page 29, Section 15.5, and I think picture items 24-27 in Fig 1.24. But also in that same section they describe the Regulating Valve as being on the right hand side of the case under the oil breather. For one, I'd say that the valve by pushrods is on the LEFT hand side of the case; for two, there isn't anything like a valve below the oil breather. I say LEFT because the #1 and #2 cylinders are on the drivers side of the car, which is left.

confused24.gif

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to get it all right now, so I don't have to take the sucker apart later!

Cheers
Nate
Jake Raby
Use air pressure to pop that piston out...

Don't worry about the name. We call it the cam pressure relief....

Inspect both pistons for wear before reassembly. Also esure the bores are flat in the case as well, they sometimes wear and bleed pressure..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.