Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wind shield replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
I got a quote of $250 for a replacement with install. Does this seem too low?

hine62
914itis
I think that's a great price .
EdwardBlume
FWIW

Get new clips from your local Porsche dealer, or P vendor. Don't reuse clips!

Don't let a rookie over glue the channel, you will never get the trim on again. Speaking of trim, take it off carefully, or you'll be buying that too.

A simple cheap windshield replacement can lead to a big PITA redo.

Personally, I'd take it to someone who has done a 914 before... idea.gif

JawjaPorsche
Mine cost $280. Did a good job.
Hine62
Thanks for the replies... I've decided to go with the rubber replacement, but I'm going to save as much of the chrome as possible. Some of the chrome parts are pretty beat up anyway.

hine62
worn
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Jul 3 2013, 05:18 AM) *

I got a quote of $250 for a replacement with install. Does this seem too low?

hine62

I got a low quote from a company for my 911 glass. The guy came out while I was away, but my super-mechanic son was there. The guy didn't know what to do without urethane sealant, tried to put the glass in and then the locking trim after, etc. Upshot - driving down the road looking at the highway underneath the bottom edge of the glass, with the aluminum trim ruined.

Later on, new trim, new rubber (again) and cord and we put the thing in right. Only to find the engine studs failed the next day.

Just be careful because they don't make a lot of cars like ours anymore and some of the low cost techs may have an issue. Just my story.
LotusJoe
I paid $220.00 installed and used 914Rubber molding.
IPB Image
gothspeed
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jul 3 2013, 10:15 AM) *

I paid $220.00 installed and used 914Rubber molding.
IPB Image

question on your rubber trimmed window install, was the window frame filled with adhesive and the rubber pushed into it? OR was the rubber glued in with a separate bead of adhesive?

I want that rubber trim on mine but do not have any idea how it is installed and/or glued in.
OU8AVW
Yeah, is it done like the old VW windows? With a para cord?
LotusJoe
The 914rubber molding was installed onto the windscreen prior installation. The guy ran a bead of 3m butyl from his gun around the perimeter of the windscreen frame. He then laid the glass with the rubber attached onto the window frame. However before he did that, he painted a border of black frit around the windscreen. Looked flat black on one side, but though the glass it looked glossy. The frit helps the butyl stick to the glass. Whole job was maybe an hour.
partwerks
I didn't know they made one with a rubber molding.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 3 2013, 10:10 PM) *

I didn't know they made one with a rubber molding.

Seriously? I'm no glass expert, but I don't think the rubber was made with, or came with the glass. Buy a windshield, buy the rubber from 914 rubber.com, then install the two together. poke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Where are you guys finding the glass for that price?
mepstein
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 4 2013, 07:56 AM) *

My local glass guy quoted $220 for the glass. Local Porsche dealer quoted $470. I'm pretty sure they're different but who knows. I think Dr. Evil picked up a couple windshields from the local guy in Newark, DE a couple years ago.
Hine62
My quote is local. One bonus for having to replace the window is some one put the mirror on with lots of glue or what ever they used. I'll be able to do a clean install.

hine62
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 4 2013, 07:56 AM) *

My glass man got it from some wholesaler in Memphis.
partwerks
I meant, that I did not know there was another style besides the chrome that goes around it.
Drums66
(Windshield"s)readily available for our car"s these days idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif driving.gif
ThinAir
Has anyone used Safelite/Satelite? (Can't remember what they call themselves these days)

They are a chain/franchise and available here in Flagstaff.

Mine will need replacement soon and I'll be switching to the 914Rubber seal. What do you need to tell the installer so that he'll know what to do with it?
avidfanjpl
Anything under 300 bucks is Chinese made

My glass from Porsche for Orangina was made in Austria and it was perfect. 500 installed by a guy from Anaheim and he used new clips.

Can't remember the name, but it was flawless and the color match to my tinted windows was amazing, and it had the color stripe on the top to match the OEM car Sekurit windscreen

I wanted an OEM one and paid for it.

Probably get another when I get the new car home.

I hate old glass

J
CMONNETT
The OEM ones from a Porsche dealer are still available. I've ordered 3-4 for customers in the last few months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.