Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting bare metal in humid weather?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jon H.
I took my fenders down to bare bare metal a few weeks ago and welded on some flares and I finally got the welds ground down. It has been raining here in Ottawa 5 out of 7 days since the spiring and the humidity is horrendous. Things are starting to look orange sad.gif I have no HVAC system in my shop so it's difficult to control the environs. I do have a wood stove though?

1) will epoxying the metal in high humidity be an issue?
2) will using my DA sander on the orange be enough or should I use metal prep too? Last time I used that the whole panels turned orange right away? And then to wash the panels with a hose didn't seem right confused24.gif
3) is there something else I could do to preserve the metal until the weather conditions improve that isn't to much work to take off at a later date?

Thanks

Jon
scotty b
1: sand the flash off and coat with Ospho, Jasco or similar product

2: sand flash rust off and etch prime

3: sandblast the flash rust off and epoxy prime ( epoxy has no rust stopping/converting ability that etch primer does )

4: leave it be and do one of these steps in the future when you are ready
Jon H.
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 3 2013, 04:34 PM) *

3: sandblast the flash rust off and epoxy prime ( epoxy has no rust stopping/converting ability that etch primer does )

Thanks for the quick reply smile.gif I do have the epoxy and high build 2k primer in the shop already so I am ready to paint but not to sure about the humidity effects using primers/epoxies? I know there are issues with the top coats though. What needs to be done to the ospho treated panel prior to painting?

Jon
scotty b
QUOTE(Jon H. @ Jul 3 2013, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 3 2013, 04:34 PM) *

Thanks for the quick reply smile.gif I do have the epoxy and high build 2k primer in the shop already so I am read to paint but not to sure about the humidity effects using primers/epoxies? I know there are issues with the top coats though. What needs to be done to the ospho treated panel prior to painting?

Jon

Ospho, and when ready sand it with 180 grit. Humidity won't affect the primers too much, they will end up getting sanded and recoated as the work progresses. As long as it is mixed properly it will set up fine. You may have to wait a little longer is all
Jon H.
Thanks, then I will be painting tommorrow piratenanner.gif humidity or not.

Jon
scotty b
QUOTE(Jon H. @ Jul 3 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Jon

Hold your horses homie.

Humidity on paint and humidity on primer are two different matters. The humidity will affect the primer, it just doesn't matter because it will get covered. If you put the paint, particularly on a 2 stage system, in high humidity without enough airflow you will get blushing or overall fogginess. You can get the same issue with single stage, though it hasn't been as big a problem in my experience.
Jon H.
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 3 2013, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Jon H. @ Jul 3 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Jon

Hold your horses homie.

Humidity on paint and humidity on primer are two different matters. The humidity will affect the primer, it just doesn't matter because it will get covered. If you put the paint, particularly on a 2 stage system, in high humidity without enough airflow you will get blushing or overall fogginess. You can get the same issue with single stage, though it hasn't been as big a problem in my experience.

Ha! I wish I was ready to "paint" tomorrow, no just epoxy. My top coat will be next year, I hope!

Jon
r_towle
Plastic cover at night
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.