Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Curious to see where this goes $$wise.
ebay 914/6
boxstr
Checking bidders, 59racer is a really good friend.
CCLINSHILLBID
Root_Werks
That is a nice color. Yeah, will have to watch this one.
propricer
Owner seems to know car very well but he couldn't explain why the rear bumper was not original !!!
type47
nice.... right in my "backyard"...

nathan, john, justin, scott.... we need to check this thing out this weekend..... biggrin.gif
vortrex
owner wants $18k for it, which seems like not a bad price if you are looking for a stock 914-6 to keep this way.
914werke
One of the better represented cars Ive seen on the Evil bay wink.gif
ematulac
AAAaaarrgghhh!!

Am I mistaken, or is AA bidding on this car? wacko.gif
Gint
I'll bet he gets close to his reserve, but not quite. This is one to watch if you're interested in clean original 6's.
smdubovsky
Beat you guys too it again;) I went to see this car last weekend. He is a really nice car guy, but I couldn't see how it was worth even close to $18.

Disclaimer: These are my OPINIONs. I would still like to buy this car, but NOT @ $18k (I made him an offer). Plus, I like the color and its local.

My list of BIG nitpicks:
1) ~120kmiles on orig 2.0 that has no records of ever being apart (exhaust guides are SURE to be toasted - Im betting a full rebuild will be necessary (Its at B Andersons limit and 2x past due for a top end rebuild)) - also leaks around the front main seal area and some other places.
2) ALL weather seals are pretty well shot
3) paint - while "decent" its hardly a concourse paint job since its 20years old. Lots of small touchups on the hood, and my friend thought something didn't match on the passenger side door. A few sanding scratches can be seen through the paint so someone wasn't carefull when they resprayed it.

My guesstimates for fixing:
1) $5000
2) $1500 for pass compartment (+400 for others)
3) $4k+++

So, to get this car to "excellect" condition would take ~$11k + 18k asking = $29k for an "excellect" car (NOT concourse).

More OPINIONS:
1) Dash is "new" but wrinkled in the corners - looks like an overlay job
2) small dent in pass door top
3) pass door is too "high" and gets pulled down a little by the latch when it closes. I didn't do the big butt test (never put the roof on). It might not be orig and thus not mounted right (kind of supported by something being "off" on the paint on that side).
4) small tears on both door panels
5) Why repair the trunk? I saw the 2 pcs he cut out. Not rusted, only slightly dented. I would have spent the time straightening them out vs welding a patch in - to keep the car orig. BTW, why were they dented in the first place? It didn't look like the car had been hit, but I didn't get underneath to tell. His weld patch looks ok.
6) His paint job in the trunk/battery was good enough that I couldn't see easily where they stopped. Why do I always get nervous around people who can paint their own cars? Im sorry, but it makes me wonder if other stuff was repainted. BTW, He restores cars on the side (so he has the talent to hide stuff - not that he would, just that he has the ability.)
7) Hood has two small creases on the backside that were probably filled for the orig respray.
8) He has PRO-15'ed stuff under the car. Dunno if anything was bad, but overall the car LOOKED pretty darn rust free. I didn't take off the rockers or look in lightboxes or anything like that though. Didn't jack the car up either - just a good look in the wheel wells & trunks.
9) Didn't test lights, wipers, or heat system.
10) A quick "knock" on all the fender/door bottoms sounds good. I should have checked the pass rear area better since the trunk was repaired...
11) Front bumper has lots of little nicks. Looked "ok" and no rust yet, but its only been on the east coast <6 months;) The horn grills looked terrible.
12) 914-6 logo on trunk is silver not gold. Needs to be replaced/plated.
13) He has not confirmed its a #s matching car (never checked). Has COA, but I didn't look at the block either.
14) Has some of orig receipts, but last ~10yrs are missing. He also showed me only ~10 pages or so of receipts in a binder. I can generate more than that a year w/ my 911;) I would have expected a 30yr old car to have a 1" thick folder.
15) Cigarette lighter and some other knobs missing from dash (I remember at least 2 holes). Don't know if he has or not.

Propricer mentioned the rear bumper isn't orig. I did not detect that (not enough of a 914 expert yet;). It looked much shiner/newer than the front. That + the trunk repair job + the paint on the pass side make me really THINK that it has been hit in that corner. No proof, but if I have the chance to look at it again I will do a better inspection.

So, what do you guys think its worth now?

I like the car, but my conscience woudn't let me drive it w/o rebuilding the motor. It it fails and busts the orig case, then its value is ruined. I also don't want to be $5-10k over its "excellent" value when its all fixed. I could just buy Eric Sheas yellow car which Im sure has a damn near councours body.

SMD
Gint
Nothing like a first hand impartial evaluation.

I will say this though; A rust free original 6 is worth some money. Not $18k as his ad alone would have supported now that we have a better description, but a rust free original 6 is a rare bird indeed. Not having to do rust repair adds significant value. Not that I know anything about that... rolleyes.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 2 2004, 01:01 PM)
nice.... right in my "backyard"...

nathan, john, justin, scott.... we need to check this thing out this weekend..... biggrin.gif

Even closer to my backyard! If you want to set something up maybe we can meet up for a looksie. I need to be in Arlington by 3:30 to watch the JMU game at Roadside Grill on Saturday. Sunday might work. Let me know if you really want to look at it, I'm not in the market...I'm sure Justin could give it a real good lookover since he knows what a rust free orriginal looks like! Imagine that guys face if 4-5 914s come to look over his 6, haha
type47
mostly looking for an excuse to go out and play driving.gif
vortrex
yeah doesn't sound like it is worth $18k now based off your description. still probably pretty good but much nicer cars have sold for not a lot more. I'd say it is $15k max. he told me he has an offer already locally for $16.5k.
smdubovsky
If you other guys that are local (and are much better 914 experts) can go check it out for a second opinion it would be appreciated.

I agree that being a rust free orig makes it more valuable, as does the orig documentation (because its just "neat"), but everything that detracts from that is $$$$$.

None of this may matter if it gets jacked way up on ebay;(

Tnx,
SMD
Howard
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but if I ever want and expert opinion in MD, SMD gets my vote. Nice job and welcome to the funny farm.
Gint
Already up to:

US $15,550.00 (Reserve not met)

with 3 days 3 hours to go.
Red-Beard
The 914-6 badge was always silver/chrome
smg914
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Dec 3 2004, 03:57 PM)
The 914-6 badge was always silver/chrome

I'm gonna have to call you on that one. The color of the 914-6 rear script was never anything other than gold.
Red-Beard
I have never seen a 914-6 with a gold 914-6 emblem.
Porsche Rescue
I have had both on different cars. The gold has worn off most of them.
skline
Here's one
skline
Another one
skline
Silver one
skline
Last one, It's gold and special
Red-Beard
Proof!

I'm standing next to the Blue 914/6 in the photo!!!
Red-Beard
And the guy playing with the wheels, is the guy who sold me my 914/6
vortrex
got to love ebay! this car is already at $20k with days left. the owner wanted $18k for it.
vortrex
well it "sold" for $23,100. that's $5000 more than the owner wanted. the prices for 914's really have gone insane. soon it will be time to get into the 993 hobby, they'll be cheaper!
boxstr
After checking the bid history, the seller needs to give a big thank you to 59racer and jb12b1, they both helped to take the bidding to a whole new level. Good work guys.
CCLINCANYSAYSHILL
smdubovsky
Yeah, $23.1 is crazy (but you DO have to feel kind of stupid paying $5k more than the seller was asking. More power to the seller I guess.)

Its really bums me out though. I kind of liked the car (my offer was $15.5). Oh well, the search continues...

Do you guys REALLY think these /6 prices are justified or just a one (or two or three) time ebay anomaly? Im really sorry, but if its going to take $20k+ to buy a "good" /6 then I think Im going to turn my car buying $$$ elsewhere ;(

Off to sulk,
SMD
type47
smdubovsky, come to VA and see my 73... it has 911 brakes already and i'll throw in a 69T basket case engine.....

http://www.pca.org/mart/classifieds.pl ad #53
smdubovsky
Jim, I can't find your ad. I assume its a conversion? Im really not looking for a conversion. If I buy a /4 it will stay a /4. (Don't want a project car either - I have PLENTY of projects already;)

I know of a cherry, one owner, signal orange, 73 2.0-4 but he's not quite ready to give it up just yet (trust me, I've asked;) Hes probably taking it to the parade next year. So thats my dream /4, and my search for a /6 continues...

You guys are great!
SMD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.