Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gauge mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale73914
Hi All,

Was snooping around youtube ( after looking at the Pikes Peak post ) and saw a video of a 914 that has me interested.
In the ashtray area there are some gauges mounted.
As my next job is to put oil temp and pressures gauges in, this looks pretty cool to me.

I dont have a console and have the radio in an underdash housing , so cant use a normal 2 gauge plate mount in the centre ( and dont really want to either )

My question is, has anyone done this, and did it involve any cutting.
I dont want to do anything i couldnt pull out again later if i wanted.

The video for anyone interested is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTO7JVt8FZE

Cheers

Dale
michael7810
A vendor here call Rennmetal makes a plate that mounts 2 gauges in place of the ashtray.
Van914
Just get a bracket from Summit and install. I also have a plate to mount 3 gauges in place of the radio for sale.
Good luck
Van914
type47
Yes, and I like it. I found a combo gauge with oil temp to replace the brake warning light and put a 2 gauge bracket in the ashtray with oil pressure and CHT.
sfrenck
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 5 2013, 12:48 AM) *

A vendor here call Rennmetal makes a plate that mounts 2 gauges in place of the ashtray.

Link? Search doesn't seem to find the plate or Rennmetal.
mepstein
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jul 5 2013, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 5 2013, 12:48 AM) *

Link? Search doesn't seem to find the plate or Rennmetal.

http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?id=4
GeorgeRud
VDO also makes (made?) a rubber two gauge mount for their gauges that fits beautifully in place of the ashtray. You just have to trim off the angled top portion and drill two screw holes to mount it to the original ashtray mounting screw holes.

Rennmetal is around, and has a variety of gauge mounting plates available.
Van914
Reninmetal 3 gauge is the one I have FS $20 shipped cont. US
New never installed.

Thanks
Van914
Black22
I love my ashtray mounted gauges. I just wish they were angled towards the driver slightly for a more accurate reading at a glance. Other than that beer.gif !

Click to view attachment
sfrenck
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jul 6 2013, 01:04 PM) *

I love my ashtray mounted gauges. I just wish they were angled towards the driver slightly for a more accurate reading at a glance. Other than that beer.gif !

Click to view attachment

So the bottom of the gauge pod is open, correct? How about some different pic angles?
dale73914
ok, so looks like this is definitely doable then. Thanks for your replies.
Will look into the various options and try and pick myself up some gauges and sensors etc.

Anything I need to know about mounting the sensors ?
Do I need any specific VDO part number to suit these things, or just the standard one that will come with the oil pressure and temp gauge.

Also, should I be looking at a particular temp range ?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but these cars are still pretty new to me.

Should I buy from someone in particular ?? Anyone here maybe ?

rather buy right first time....

Cheers

Dale
type47
QUOTE(dale73914 @ Jul 8 2013, 05:32 AM) *

Anything I need to know about mounting the sensors ?
Do I need any specific VDO part number to suit these things, or just the standard one that will come with the oil pressure and temp gauge.

Also, should I be looking at a particular temp range ?

Most state the diameter of the hole and diameter of the gauge. I think it's 2-1/8" but check the specs to make sure. Oil temp max less than 275ish degrees F; 250 degrees F oil temp too high...

I'd buy from world vendors first, cheapest next...
DBCooper
Absolutely Rennenmetal. They're a World vendor but most importantly their plate is designed to fit directly into the 914's ashtray mount. No messing around adapting a pod really meant to be screwed in to the bottom edge of a 57 Chevy's dash.
dale73914
I just looked at Rennmetal again, thinking i would buy theirs.

$9.95 part, $39.95 to post it to me.

It must weigh all of 200grams at most....

Sadly this company is now on my 'hmmm' list.

I've had some great experiences with International postage from the USA ( Magnus Walker can manage to fit 3 tshirts in a $14.95 International Postage Envelope, and has done so a few times for me, and even Auto Atlanta only charged me about $60 to send me a full 6 piece set of windscreen , targa and side window rubbers ).
Patrick Kennedy from here has sent me stuff too at great rates.

Worth a try....

Thanks

Dale
cary
I'm with you Dale.
They've got some cool stuff.
I didn't even know they existed.
SKL1
VDO made this gauge holder back in the early '70's. I put it on back then as I'd never let anyone smoke in the car anyway. Guess I was ahead of my time. As noted, Rennemetal makes one now- I'm using one of their predrilled radio blanks to mount a oil pressure gauge in the '73 I'm restoring now.Click to view attachment
green914
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jul 6 2013, 10:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I think your gauges look great the way they are mounted. smilie_pokal.gif Thanks to mepstein for posting the link to rennenmetal; I found the ashtray bracket on the first page. smile.gif I was thinking of removing my clock to make space for an oil pressure gauge, but this looks like a much better alternative.
dale73914
I have mailed rennmetal to see if the postage rates are set in stone.

Given one of you kind gentlemen sent me some bottle opener keyrings, and another person a pair of hotwheels cars, and postage for each of those was about $6-8 ( and this item would be about the same size and weight ) , i hope they will offer something more realistic.

Cheers

Dale

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.