Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outlaw?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Hello All,

I need a little help here. What the heck is an Outlaw? I have seen people talk about them and refer to them, but what's the story?

I read an article a few years ago in VW&P about Outlaws, but all I remember is that they were tweaked cars, with funky paint. Oh yeah, and that red horse on the fender somewhere too.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

- Joe
72Signal914
The only thing that I have heard about Outlaw is that its a Class of racing, I forget blink.gif . Someone enlighten us
seanery
an outlaw is pretty much any mod done to the car that would make a cw shudder!

Go look at the pics of zois black 356 with flares and red wheels...THAT is an outlaw.
airsix
Primarily used when describing non-concourse-weenie 356's that have the bumpers removed, and other non-stock, non-factory equipment.

The original "Outlaws" were hot-roders driving around without fenders or bumpers. This was illegal, hence the term.

MikeZ's 356 is an outlaw in part due to:
1) flared fenders
2) no bumpers
3) non-stock engine
4) late wheels
5) bunny ears

IMHO the outlaws are infinitely better looking than the stock 356 with it's excuse-me-while-I-thow-up bumpers. I love a nice outlaw 356, like the one below. (pardon my drool)
jtf914
Here's one from Hershey, a Carrera 3.0 in a 356:
tryan
the black one gives me a woodie. where's the bunny ears?
airsix
QUOTE(tryan @ May 21 2003, 02:10 PM)
the black one gives me a woodie. where's the bunny ears?

The picture I posted isn't Mikes car. It's just a picture of an outlaw I had handy. Mike Z is known for many things including wearing bunny ears on his helmet at driving events. I do not know the history behind this tradition.

-Ben M.
Porsche Rescue
Some people are old enough to remember when the red winged horse was the logo for Mobilgas. I think it was often on race cars in the 50's-60's like Marlboro/Interstate Batteries now days.
Bleyseng
You mean Flying A gas Jim, even I remember that!

Geoff
KaptKaos
Does this Outlaw designation apply only to 356s? If not then, what would constitute an Outlaw 914 (if you could call it that)?

- Joe
Aaron Cox
mazda rotary, porschev8, ro name a few!
Aaron Cox
and the guy with the huge scoop to feed his twin dupercharged v8...the english guy!
Porsche Rescue
Geoff, I remember Flying A as an "A" with wings. I think the horse was mobil, featured prominently in the Mobil Economy Run.
seanery
I agree with Jim, but I am too young to know from "being there".
Rog914
Joe, you might have seen the "Outlaw" car from www.partsobsolete.com in an old issue of VW&P. They do alot of Outlaw cars. They also make 4cyl 911 motors (cut the 2 center cyl out and fab the rest). check out there website, they make 2 different style 911-4 motors, a 1.5 liter & a 2.4 liter. I don't even want know the price. $$$$$$

Ralph

74 2.0
rick 918-S
I love the English Guy'a car. He's got it bad! Real Sic. Where is that guy anyway? Anyone have a link to his site? We should drop him an email and invite him aboard.
Qarl
Here's the crazy English guy with too many tools and too many ideas in his head.

This guy is one hell of a fabricator though!

http://www.v8914.com/

Regards,
rick 918-S
I just went there. He has a guest book. I left an invite.
meursault
I don't know if I'd ever classify any 914 as an outlaw. Modifying them is really so commonplace and accepted that you don't have this CW 914 contingent going, "Oh my god, you put 930 flares on the car. How could you do that? You just ruined a $20,000 car! Put those side marker warts back on this instant. How dare you perform such a sacrilege to the perfect lines of such a vintage Porsche. You what? You're gonna race that car? Over my dead body. Leave it in the vacuum-sealed container it was meant to be left in, you heretic, you fool."
rick 918-S
LOL lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif That is funny! lol2.gif
krk
I can't claim to be all that deep in this stuff.

In the P community, it generally refers to 356's which are modified. The modifications are usually pitched as "even Dr. Porsche thought the cars should be continuously upgraded" or some such thing. There have been articles in Pano that cover some pretty elaborate modifications. I'm guessing that using non-P drivelines is not usually in the intended meaning. (but I'm guessing!) There were enough of them that they acquired group status and were called outlaws.

There are other meanings of outlaw in the car community. They may or may not be related.

I have always thought the 914 community had similar principles -- that is, engineering and performance mattered more than simply appearance and prestige. And it is one of the things I find compelling about the 914 group. Even though I do have CW leanings, I really enjoy customized 914's. I suppose it's a hot rod heritage. There were factory muscle cars, and there were the cars the rest of us drove -- usually something hopped up in one way or other.

hth.

kim.
need4speed
I agree with the "modifications" ideology. Somehow though, 914's VW vintage makes it more acceptable than "rewriting history" or hacking on a relic.

There are definately "hacks" that go outside of the realm of good taste.

Hence the term Rice.

there used to be a web page full of Ghia modifications. There's even a rare third-party modification to put a fake front grille onto a ghia. barf.gif

Then there's the stuff John Kelly does. IMO - more than good taste. Very tasty! (I wish I had bought the roadster body!).
Joe Bob
Most....Outlaws run without bumpers. A 914 w/o bumpers would look kinda wierd.

The two reasons I am doing the 356 in the outlaw style is

1) It was too far gone to return to stock when I bought it.....and I don't have unlimited funds to restore at best a 15-18,000 dollar car.

2) It pisses off the Concour Weenies....

Take a wild guess on the reason I most enjoy?

As to the bunny ears, I attended a DE in AZ that was before Easter. Most of the participants were a bit ....ummmmm, anal....so to lighten up the mood, I duck taped a set of pink bunny ears to my helmet and ran with the top down.

I got a LOT of shit from the guys....about not taking it serious...the race....geez, it was DE fer crimminy sake....ALL the chicks thought it was cute and wanted pics taken with me and the helmet.....

Guess who's comments I cared about?
Joe Bob
You can see pics of the whole adverture at www.malmz.com go to his personal outing area and click on the Tweeks Race 2001.
Joe Bob
Side view....
Aaron Cox
bunny ears while driving a stallion? nice touch. anyone seen the 904 body kit for the 914 from AA? - oulaw
what about a 914 w/o targa bars and a manual convertible top- OUTLAW MDB2.gif
Joe Bob
No...that would be a beach boys type convertible.....

As to AAs, 904 kit....FUGLEE...... finger.gif
meursault
I'm with Mikey on this one. A 9014 isn't an outlaw. It's a stupid, waste-of-money pile of trash. Seriously. Anybody who thinks a 9014 kit is an improvement or even a worthwhile thing to do should be shot.

Those convertibles are pretty lame IMHO too. I don't even know how they get any air to the engine when the top's down. Unless they do the conversion without a frame. Even worse--looks like cheap trash in that case.

Look, outlaws are for the most part tasteful. Take a look at Gary Emory's site http://www.partsobsolete.com/outlaws.htm and you'll see some really nice examples of creativity and respect for the breed that doesn't come with some POS body kit conceived by a bunch of people on crack.

End of rant.
Aaron Cox
i agree on the 9014 kit...the kit still utilizes stock headlights along with the covered lenses that look like the 904. doesnt quite resemble the car....and for 2k or whatever...its throwing money away! ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.