Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cylinder head temp monitoring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif I hope the hardcore get into this--but being an aviation enthusiast, there are cylinder head and exhaust temp gauges made for the moitoring of each individual cyl in one gauge.

The choices run the gamut--but the best lookin ones are the analog ones.

In one gauge face there are four identicle gauges for either head temp or exhaust temp. For the heads, a special thermocouple was developed that actually take the place of the sparkplug washer, therefore reads the temp directly from the sparkplug, ( arguable the hottest point) these are precision instruments that are certified for flight, and man do they look cool!!! cool_shades.gif cool_shades.gif cool_shades.gif

A good thing is they thread onto the sparkplug threads, so when done carefully, u-can easily replace plugs w/o fumbling for the thermocouple.

The exhaust ones look identicle as far as gauges go to the head temp , they just require a bung welded to each pipe and the traditional thermocouple inserted into the exhaust stream.

Best of all you can get these for less than a couple hundred bucks.

look at the following websites"

www.aircraftspruce.com

www.wicksaircraft.com

Not to mention these are sick-ass looking when installed in your ride...

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
jwalters
I hope this loads......
jwalters
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Dec 2 2004, 03:46 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

yes, them gauges are nice. that's probably why you didn't dare to post the prices ...

icon8.gif Andy
machina
here's my rig,

first pic shows gauges at center of dash.

second 2 pics you can see the lead from the spark plug thermocouple.

Last pic shows bungs on stub pipes.

I monitor only 1 CHT per head and 1 EGT per head. Enough to look at when your on the back straight. You can just add a selector switch so you only need one CHT or EGT to monitor all 4.
Jake Raby
I love the westach gauges.

I have two quad CHTS on the dyno along with a singe quad EGT as well..

The 912E has a quad with 2X CHT and oil temp and oil pressure included as well...

I'm now having a datalogger built for the dyno for future cooling system testing.
DJsRepS
Man what are the two switches with the red safty covers? Avtivates the weapons systems.
SpecialK
QUOTE(DJsRepS @ Dec 2 2004, 10:01 PM)
Man what are the two switches with the red safty covers? Avtivates the weapons systems.

Sidewinder missiles for passing on tight tracks...... cool_shades.gif

driving.gif

Nice set-up synth!

I've got (sitting on the shelf patiently waiting for me to get off my dead ass and work on my car) one of the dual EGT/CHT and a Volt/Amp Westach gauges. I Got a absolutely killer deal on "10" EGT sensors aktion035.gif , so 3 more CHT sensors and a 4-way switch and I'll be in biz.
machina
QUOTE(DJsRepS @ Dec 3 2004, 01:01 AM)

Switches are just fuel pump and ignition power, the weapons system is the Raby motor behind my back. happy11.gif

The safety covers make it easier to shut the power down in an instant if the need should arise.

Going to add a third switch for the starter so I can get rid of the steering column switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.