Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Electrical Connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jmedeiros
I just crawled under the SMAWL1 to fix a kinked fuel line and when I pulled the belly pan off, I noticed that there were two wires (one brown & one some other color) hanging by the MC. There's a blade for a spade connector and another rubber cover on the MC (which appears to be pretty new). Any idea how the wires hook up to the MC??
Jmedeiros
QUOTE(Jmedeiros @ Jul 6 2013, 12:20 AM) *

I just crawled under the SMAWL1 to fix a kinked fuel line and when I pulled the belly pan off, I noticed that there were two wires (one brown & one some other color) hanging by the MC. There's a blade for a spade connector and another rubber cover on the MC (which appears to be pretty new). Any idea how the wires hook up to the MC??

Quick search of the Haynes manual shows they are supposed to be connected to the Brake warning switch (#22, pg 111). Now, anyone know which wire goes where?
bulitt
If it has a single spade, leave the brown ground off. The rubber should be a reset switch.
heres a thread-

MC
Dave_Darling
The wires should be brown/white, and plain brown.

Plain brown is always ground in these cars. Always--unless some previous mechanic or owner started replacing wires.

The original brake warning switch had two spade terminals on it. One of the two wires plugged into each of them. Some later switches only have the one terminal. The brown/white gets plugged into that; the ground is actually provided through the body of the master cylinder in those cases.

The rubber cover is covering the reset button. You may find that the brake warning light starts blinking when you plug that wire in (and the key is on). Just push the button and the light should go out--if the handbrake is not on.

Tape up the brown wire so it's out of the way. It can touch the chassis, because both the wire and the chassis are at ground. But don't cut it out because you may eventually replace the switch for the two-pin style somewhere down the road.

--DD
Jmedeiros
Thanks guys!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.