Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What causes the volt gauge to peg?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakeodoule
Drove 10 hours yesterday and twice looked down and the volts gauge was pegged at 16plus. I push the clutch in an blipped the throttle a couple times and it returned to about 13.... confused24.gif

Little nervous, in northern Minnesota about 2days from home.
Car seems to be running perfect otherwise.
Hoping just bad connection.
What say the experts?
rick 918-S
Where are you in Northern MN? I have parts and a shop to help if you need it. I would check the wiring first. Maybe it's loose. Your alternator could have worn brushes or it could be a stuck regulator. Check the regulator on the relay board.

Call me if I can help. 218-428-3538
Dr Evil
Before freaking, I would check the voltage at the battery with a meter. The only thing that can actually cause this is a faulty voltage regulator. Any 3 pin regulator can be made to work if you need to replace. The regulator would be giving too much voltage back to the alternator causing it to pump out more volts. In other words, the regulator would be incorrectly reading a low voltage state and thus asking for max voltage output. But still, check with a different meter as your gauge may be crapping out and I bet this is the case.
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 6 2013, 06:06 AM) *

Where are you in Northern MN? I have parts and a shop you help if you need it. I would check the wiring first. Maybe it's loose. Your alternator could have worn brushes or it could be a stuck regulator. Check the regulator on the relay board.

Thanks Rick.
I'm in Duluth headed down to Rochester today to visit parents.
I have another reg with me. I'll check connections.
It's been fine otherwise.

Hopefully I would need you...
Jakeodoule
Thanks Doc. I got a meter with me.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Jul 6 2013, 08:12 AM) *

Where are you in Northern MN? I have parts and a shop you help if you need it. I would check the wiring first. Maybe it's loose. Your alternator could have worn brushes or it could be a stuck regulator. Check the regulator on the relay board.

Thanks Rick.

Ok, I'm up by the collage. You want me to drive the Alien down and check it out? I may not be much help but It would be nice to meet another 914 guy. We don't have any around here.
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 6 2013, 06:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Jul 6 2013, 08:12 AM) *

Thanks Rick.

Ok, I'm up by the collage. You want me to drive the Alien down and check it out? I may not be much help but It would be nice to meet another 914 guy. We don't have any around here.

Thanks Rick but we're on the road in about 10 min.
Got to meet up with the parents.
Next time.
I was gonna post my route to meet up with some of you but the wife is along and it's kinda just a trip with us. She doesn't understand sitting around jawing about cars... confused24.gif
rick 918-S
No problemo. If you get to the Minneapolis and conk out Chappy is down there and may be able to help.

Safe travels!
Jakeodoule
Voltage reg was about to fall out.
Looks like it should have a screw in it. It doesn't
Thanks fellas, hopefully that's it.
We're down the road
Dr Evil
piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
I had one fall out while driving on a rough road. I head it hit the ground and went back and picked it up.
Drums66
......I'm glad you got by with a bad vibration'" remember" to alway's
change Alt & VR together idea.gif flag.gif flag.gif
bye1.gif (things vibrate,back there alot)
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 6 2013, 03:13 PM) *

......I'm glad you got by with a bad vibration'" remember" to alway's
change Alt & VR together idea.gif flag.gif flag.gif
bye1.gif (things vibrate,back there alot)

Um, no. This is not necessary.
Jakeodoule
Update, 200 miles and volts holding steady at 13plus.
Thanks for the tips fellas!
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.