Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 CIS set-up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
With the stock F.I. system becoming expensive and some parts NLA I think it's time find another way to go. I heard some people were using a C.I.S. system out of a old VW Rabbit and others using Saab F.I. systems. Has there been any website that shows how to and lists the parts that are needed?
Thanks for any info or input
Ralph Gosnell

74 2.0 F.I.
Dave_Darling
http://www.millerfi.com

--DD
Mueller
CIS Conversion

The above link is from a VW Bus guy converting his motor over to CIS injection.
Rog914
Thanks for info. Looks likes the C.I.S. system is the way to go. No trigger points, old outdated brain box to worry about. Seems to be alot easier to trouble shoot then the E.F.I. system(less electrical to trouble shoot).
Thanks again,
Ralph Gosnell

74 2.0fi
Dave_Darling
Well, yes and no on the "easier to troubleshoot" thing. Yes, there's less electrical bits to T/S--particularly on the early "K-basic" system without O2 sensor. But there's a whole lot more hydraulic stuff to work out. Fuel pressures at various points of the system are very very important, and some have to be measured in different ways than the others.

It's a neat system, but a full-on modern EFI is a better way to go if you can wing that.

--DD
Brad Roberts
Ralph,

I think you'll find the Motronic engines very user friendly. Most of the time the valve guides wear out before you would ever have to "diagnose" a electrical problem.

B
seanery
Maybe a dumb question, but here goes?

Why would you want to use CIS at all?
I know on the 911 the setup is weak, that's why people go back to Webers or better yet, mechanical injection. The cams that were used on the CIS cars sucked!
cha914
I know of several people in the aircooled VW community that are converting T4's to CIS injection...I think the system didn't work well in performance applications like the 911, but seems to work quite well on the T4 engines...especially in vw buses...

not to mention that the CIS system was used on tons of cars well up into the 80's (right?) ... so there is no lack of cars to get the parts from ...

I know Jake Raby offers a CIS setup for his bus engines that he builds and is supposedly going to put a turbo on his own setup at some point. From his comments, the system makes the bus smooth as glass and plenty of low down torque where you need it in a heavy car.

-Tony
MJHanna
Tony, Are you going to try to run your car at TWS? boldblue.gif
cha914
Yea, I havn't looked into any specific events, but I am sure I will run it there...

I think I will be heading down to corpus for the first few shake down events (as they are quite cheap) ... but I am sure I will make it to TWS for some events this year.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.