Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still having gear...problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So a few questions my car leaks a some amount of gear oil, From the speed-o area, If my gear oil is low can that be a reason why I have trouble getting it to 4th,And again if I down shift back to 3rd it go's right to 4th confused24.gif.
So what can I do to fix this.
BTW I had a blast driving it to work today...even with the gear deal...
oldschool
Anyone.... blink.gif popcorn[1].gif
Maltese Falcon
Jaime,
Sounds like you can do some quick and inexpensive Maint. to your shifting issue.
First, drain the gear oil. Check the gear oil and drain plug for debris. Repair the o-ring on the Speedo drive. Next inspect the joints on your shift rods, from the shifter back, replace the worn parts.
Replace the nylon bushing in the lower bulkhead, its probably original, dry and cracked, or missing.
If your Trans oil was absent of metal debris, pump it full with some good swepco oil.
If your old oil had metal debris, you are probably looking at an overhaul. Try the inexpensive route first.
Marty
etcmss
has there been some linkage problems before as this sounds like a linkage setup problem first.
Mblizzard
Jamie. When I first got my car there were shift problems. The gear oils was very low. Filling it up helped but replacing the worn firewall bushing was the key. So low oil can be a part of it but replacement of worn parts is the total solution.
Dr Evil
Metal debris on the mag plug is NORMAL. Large chunks are NOT. So, do not freak if you have metal shavings..... you will.

However, you probably need an overhaul anyway if it has not been done since manufacture biggrin.gif

The external parts, as Matlese described, are the likely culprits.
76-914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2013, 06:50 AM) *

Metal debris on the mag plug is NORMAL. Large chunks are NOT. So, do not freak if you have metal shavings..... you will.

However, you probably need an overhaul anyway if it has not been done since manufacture biggrin.gif

The external parts, as Matlese described, are the likely culprits.

If you don't believe it ask AAMCO. They got their little asses sued off 30+ years back just for that. They would show the metal debris to customers telling the them a major rebuild was needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.