Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got to see 917 #20 go round the track today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
I spent the day today at Pacific Raceway Park watching the Historics. This years featured Marquis was the Porsche 911 (50 years and all) so myself and Nord crashed the party with our 914s stirthepot.gif

After we made our parade laps, I got my car parked just in time to walk over to the fence and watch the famous Porsche 917 #20 make a series of laps at speed piloted by Brian Redman. . . WOW!! Just WOW!! I can mark that one off the bucket list - See a 917 on the track at speed in person - CHECK!! driving.gif pray.gif
KELTY360
Schweeet! I know the feeling. In 1973 I got to see Mark Donohue driving the 917-30 #6 Sunoco car at Riverside. Much of the 70's is a blur to me, but that memory is vivid and awesome.
NORD
Nate and Kevin got to see NORD bring a 914 to the party. driving.gif

And the 917 was pretty cool.
stownsen914
Awesome ... I've had the pleasure of watching 917s vintage raced a number of times over the years, and they are an impressive sight, and sound amazing.

I got to sit in a 917 once as a kid. I wish I could remember the details more clearly ...

Scott
bulitt
Great pictures! confused24.gif biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Taking pictures of sound is like trying to smell the number 2.
NORD
Taken from Paul
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(NORD @ Jul 7 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Taken from Paul

Thanks for posting that Nord. I won't be near my other computer until Monday when I can download my photos of the event.

And yes, Nord DOES, in fact, have a running, driving 914 now. . . poke.gif

BTW, I forgot to give you your accelerator cable yesterday. . . I unloaded the trunk this morning and found it. . . headbang.gif

Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2013, 07:41 AM) *

stromberg.gif Smells bad to me.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(NORD @ Jul 7 2013, 08:59 AM) *

Taken from Paul

Nice pic! clap56.gif Got that one saved in my 917 file.
Thanks for posting that.
bulitt
aktion035.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 7 2013, 12:43 AM) *

Schweeet! I know the feeling. In 1973 I got to see Mark Donohue driving the 917-30 #6 Sunoco car at Riverside. Much of the 70's is a blur to me, but that memory is vivid and awesome.

I got to see him at Mosport...scary wicked fast. blink.gif
SKL1
Some of us are old enough to have seen them race the first time around- still remember seeing my hero Seppi Siffert at Road America in the STP 917, and then another hero Mark Donohue at the same track a few years later in the "beast." Lots of hero worship back in the day... remember how hard it was to lose both of those guys.
It's fun to see those back on the track, and relive your "childhood."
Unfortunately I never made it to the Daytona 24 early enough to see the Gulf cars in action, missed 'em by two years...
maf914
Yes, I also missed the the 1970-71 Porsche 917/Ferrari 512 battles at Daytona. I did see the 917/10 and 917/30 at Road Atlanta in 1972 and 1973. I always remember the sound of the Sunoco 917/30 blasting past the turn 11 bridge, Whooom-Boom, as Donohue wound it out and shifted. Good stuff!
URY914
QUOTE(NORD @ Jul 7 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Taken from Paul

I have some more I'll post tonight.
balljoint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2013, 10:41 AM) *

That's a bad example, of course. Everyone know what number 2 smells like.

The sound factor is a very large component of the racing experience. Electric race cars are going to need some way to compensate.
jaxdream
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jul 8 2013, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2013, 10:41 AM) *

That's a bad example, of course. Everyone know what number 2 smells like.

The sound factor is a very large component of the racing experience. Electric race cars are going to need some way to compensate.

Dolby digital speakers , surround sound !!!

Jack
URY914
Click to view attachment
championgt1
I saw it run on Sunday. I agree with Nate, check one off my bucket list. Man, Redman made that car scream.

Who let URY into town?
Trekkor
I shot this video at Laguna Seca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwo0Pc4Dzec...LwcFR9DOVbWz8ng

KT
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 6 2013, 09:43 PM) *

I spent a lot of time at Riverside in the sixties and seventies. My first race was the Times Grand Prix 1960. Carrol Shelby drove a Maserati birdcage. This pic is from the early 70's. Don't know what year exactly. (Can't remember). Copied from a Kodachrome slide.
Elliot Cannon
More CanAm at Riverside. Jackie Stewart in a Lola. And my favorite name in racing. Lothar Matchenbacher (sp) in the red car.
URY914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 8 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Who let URY into town?

Not in town but on the interwebs. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 9 2013, 10:25 PM) *

More CanAm at Riverside. Jackie Stewart in a Lola. And my favorite name in racing. Lothar Matchenbacher (sp) in the red car.

That would be "Lothar Motschenbacher".

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.