Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this might be a stupid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
willard912
HI guys, I just finished rebuilding a mostly stock 1.7 engine. After I was done tuning the carbs and setting timing I noticed I had an oil leek at the base of the head/top of the cylinder??? I was confused on how oil could even make it there anyway; So my thought was pull the valve cover and re-torque the head bolts with the thought that the oil could be passing by there. When I pulled the valve cover I notice it wasn't very wet in there. how much oil should the heads be getting while it is running. I did start the engine with the valve cover off and it does get some oil from the push rods... just doesn't seem like a lot.

Thanks
William
willard912
Also if anybody has any ideas were this oil could be coming from your thoughts would be appreciated Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Oil pressure switch on top of the engine? It should be right above where you see the oil ...
idea.gif
willard912
I did check the oil pressure switch and it is dry as could be. I guess ill have to take the tin off on that side and check it out
Drums66
....Oil cooler seals? or possibly oil filter? idea.gif
bye1.gif(I've had all those happen,even the 1 andy mentioned)
willard912
Well, I took the tin off last night and all of the seals are dry?? oil cooler is dry, filter is dry and the bases of the cylinder are dry??? I'm thinking it might just be assembly oil that collected in the bottom piece of tin and vibrates out when it worms up and gets viscus. I guess I'll put it all back together and find out.

Ok now back to my original "stupid Question". How much oil should the heads be getting while engine is running? I had the valve covers off while it was running and it was not getting a lot of oil. I just assumed it would be pumping a bunch of oil up there. I don"t have a way to check my oil pressure yet because this engine is in my 912. 912s have oil pressure and oil temp idiot light that both use a green/black wire. so until i get a duel sensor my light will be on. I just want to make sure that the heads are supposed to get just a little oil and not a lot.

Thanks guys

Ill let you know if it still leak or if cleaning that lower piece of tin did the trick
willard912
here is a picture from the top looking down. you can see where the oil is collecting before it drips out he bottom
willard912
Here is pressure switch and the top oil cooler seal.(that is actually cylinder #4 not 2) Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Woody
At idle you probably wont see much oil. When you're higher up in the RPM range there will be bunches of oil in the valve covers. It drains back pretty quick when you turn off the engine. Enough so when you remove the valve covers there wont be much standing oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.