Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URY Transport loses it's Best Customer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
I bought a Car Trailer today ( my 1st in about 10 Years since I got rid of my Trailex). It's small, just big enough for a 914. It just made a Trip from California and the people wanted to sell it upon arrival in the Sunstate State. I got a Good Deal!. Paul (URY914) went with me to check it out and he gave it his Thumbs Up Approval! thumb3d.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Woody
Sweet. I'm looking for something similar to that but yours seems kinda tall. May want to invest in some shorter tires. Very cool though, haven't seen many single axle trailers.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 7 2013, 03:32 PM) *

Sweet. I'm looking for something similar to that but yours seems kinda tall. May want to invest in some shorter tires. Very cool though, haven't seen many single axle trailers.

I built my single axle trailer back in the 90's, TC's is a straight axle and mine is a drop axle, so it's a bit lower.
IPB Image
carr914

Probably not a Huge Selection of Trailer Tires.

I need to do some Tweeking this week - Need to make the Ramps Longer, Relocate the Spare, Move the Fenders outward
bulitt
Whats the dimensions? 6.5x12' ?
scotty b
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 7 2013, 11:32 AM) *

2" Dropped axle, not smaller tires. Any trailer parts store has the drop axles for the same price as striaghts ( 80.00 -ish )
bandjoey
Can U flair the fenders? biggrin.gif Great buy.
carr914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 7 2013, 04:47 PM) *

Whats the dimensions? 6.5x12' ?

The Deck Dimensions are roughly 6x10 - I'm going to install a Winch as I'm not comfortable driving up such a tight area

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 7 2013, 06:26 PM) *

Can U flair the fenders? biggrin.gif Great buy.

I'm going to make the fenders removable and move them outward about 2 Inches

Click to view attachment
shawn914
Nice wheels.
URY914
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Jul 8 2013, 07:06 AM) *

Nice wheels.

Three piece Centerlines on a trailer with a spare (that was about to fall off). SWEET!
URY914
T.C., back it up to your lift and roll the car right on to the trailer. happy11.gif
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 8 2013, 10:16 AM) *

T.C., back it up to your lift and roll the car right on to the trailer. happy11.gif

Didn't even think of that! idea.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 8 2013, 11:40 AM) *

Just make sure you can still get it off the trailer before heading to the track smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 8 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Just make sure you can still get it off the trailer before heading to the track smile.gif

Dude, getting it off is the easy part. Gravity wins every tme. laugh.gif

'course you gotta get it back on to get it home.
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 8 2013, 12:23 PM) *

Bought a 3,000lb Winch with a Remote!
URY914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 8 2013, 12:08 PM) *

With that much power you won't need to add on to those ramps. Just drag that lil bastard on the trailer.
carr914
I went with the 3,000 Winch vs the 2,000 because it had the Remote & all the Mounting pieces- that was extra or non-existent on the 2k. After the 20% off Coupon it was less than a $100. Plus the extra pulling power in case URY throws a Bag of Cement in the Trunk before an A/X to gain an advantage!

Cut the Fenders & Spare Tire Mount off today, Mounted the DS outwards 2 Inches with a Hinge at the Front & Hood Pin at the Rear, so it swings completely out of the Way. Will do the PS tomorrow. Cleaned up a bunch of the Nasty Welds. Killed my Cut-Off Tool and my Grinder is acting wierd blink.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 8 2013, 07:35 PM) *

I went with the 3,000 Winch vs the 2,000 because it had the Remote & all the Mounting piece- that was extra or non-existent on the 2k. After the 20% off Coupon it was less than a $100. Plus the extra pulling power in case URY throws a Bag of Cement in the Trunk before an A/X to gain an advantage!

Cut the Fenders & Spare Tire Mount off today, Mounted the DS outwards 2 Inches with a Hinge at the Front & Hood Pin at the Rear, so it swings completely out of the Way. Will do the PS tomorrow. Cleaned up a bunch of the Nasty Welds. Killed my Cut-Off Tool and my Grinder is acting wierd blink.gif

Way to go TC! Once again it looks like you got a great deal. Now we have two more rescue vehicles for the Tropical Ramble!
URY914
Trailers are fun to work on and they are never done. Always something else to do to them.
Retread
Estimate the weight of the trailer, Add the weight of the car. Look at the load rating of the tires. Are the tires trailer tires? If so what brand. Some brands have issues. All but one of all the SL trailer tires on the market have a 65mph speed limit. Discount has a Taskmaster that is speed rated "N" which is 85mph. Be very careful to inflate fully to the max cold pressure before each towing adventure. Be sure you have jacking capability and tire changing tools that are compatible with the trailer.

Do not skimp on trailer tires. Your pride and joy is sitting on them.

carr914
2 Tires are Hercules & 1 is a Goodyear - all Trailer Tires
carr914
I Removed the Spare Tire Holder (trying to find a replacement Place) & the Center Post Parking Holder (Replaced with an Aluminum Fold-out w/ Wheel)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
As I said I cut off the Fenders and then moved them out a Couple of Inches - then I hinged & Pinned them, so they fold out of the way

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice trailer. Because it's so short, you might want to tow the car backwards, keeping most of the drive train weight in front of the axle, so it doesn't fishtail on you idea.gif
carr914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 9 2013, 08:16 PM) *

Nice trailer. Because it's so short, you might want to tow the car backwards, keeping most of the drive train weight in front of the axle, so it doesn't fishtail on you idea.gif

Thought about that idea.gif
r_towle
Get a taller trailer stand so you can jack it up to reduce the transition from the ramps to trailer.

Abel and I went to get a beetle with a rented trailer.
No winch anymore on the rentals, and we brought nothing with us, though I do own all of it, just forgot.

Abel had a brilliant idea.
Jacked up the nose.
Chocked the wheels
Borrowed a few chains, and pulled the car onto the trailer with the truck.
Works like butter, simple and smooth.

I ended up putting a beaver tail on my trailer because the car would hit at the transition from the ramps.
Longer ramps are hard to deal with...
Just jack it way up when you load it...
carr914
Winch Installed

Click to view attachment

An Old Tool Box that I found when I moved in my house - I cut out the Bottom to hide the Winch & to keep it out of the elements

Click to view attachment

The Connection for the Remote Control

Click to view attachment
euro911
Cool. Looks nicer than the old cardboard box I threw over the winch on my brother's trailer laugh.gif
green914
QUOTE(Retread @ Jul 9 2013, 12:46 PM) *

Estimate the weight of the trailer, Add the weight of the car. Look at the load rating of the tires. Are the tires trailer tires? If so what brand. Some brands have issues. All but one of all the SL trailer tires on the market have a 65mph speed limit. Discount has a Taskmaster that is speed rated "N" which is 85mph. Be very careful to inflate fully to the max cold pressure before each towing adventure. Be sure you have jacking capability and tire changing tools that are compatible with the trailer.

Do not skimp on trailer tires. Your pride and joy is sitting on them.

agree.gif Do not skimp on trailer tires, and do not let them get too old.
stugray
back it up to your lift and roll the car right on to the trailer.

I once did the following with a Penske Truck/car-hauler combo:
Park 914 on car trailer facing forward
Unhook truck from trailer and move to opposite side of trailer
Jack up rear of car trailer until level with bed of truck
Hold trailer to truck with chains
Back up 914 BY DRIVING IT into truck at ~30 degree angle...
unhook trailer, reverse truck, rehook, load different vehicle onto car hauler.

Drove from Sierra Vista, AZ to Colorado.
Reverse process to get 914 out of truck.

Scary but worked....
( somewhere out there a Penske truck owner is pissed that I used a hole saw to cut through the floorboards for my 914 tie downs....)
Stu
carr914
Got some 6' Aluminum Ramps - the Ramps that came with the Trailer were only 4' long and weighed 60lbs apiece, the Aluminum ones weigh 18lbs apiece.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Lookin' good........ beer.gif
balljoint
thumb3d.gif You won't even need that winch now. The car will just roll up the ramps on its own.
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 19 2013, 11:46 AM) *

Lookin' good........ beer.gif

It would look better with a Carr on it beerchug.gif

Unfortunately with all the Rain (especially in Pinellas Cty) my Painter hasn't shot the car yet - it's in the Booth, but with even 2 Dryer Groups, it's too Humid to Paint. I know my 60 Gal Compressor has a lot of water in it, even though I drain it every day
euro911
Where did you get the ramps, TC?

You might want to devise a method to 'pin' those to the trailer too idea.gif ... I have some aluminum telescopic ramps that have slid loose on me sad.gif
carr914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 19 2013, 02:27 PM) *

Where did you get the ramps, TC?

You might want to devise a method to 'pin' those to the trailer too idea.gif ... I have some aluminum telescopic ramps that have slid loose on me sad.gif

DiscountRamps.com - Shipping was really quick

http://www.discountramps.com/car-trailer-ramps.htm

They have Safety Straps - I do need to Weld a Steel Strip on the Trailer so it goes up Higher to match the Hook on the Ramps. But I will also only be Winching a Carr on & off due to the Width (lack of) of the Trailer
Andyrew
Great looking trailer!!
Madswede
Yeah, that trailer is nice TC! But please, when you put the Carr on it, write "IN TOE" somewhere on the vehicle. rolleyes.gif
bulitt
aktion035.gif

Nice!
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 8 2013, 03:08 PM) *

Fuchin Harbor Freight Winch! headbang.gif - it never worked! AND I lost the receipt!! headbang.gif headbang.gif . Fortunately I called my Credit Card Co and they mailed me my Statement that showed my purchase. So I walk into HF and the girl says "Again?". Apparently someone who looks like me (poor asshat) has brought back 4 of these pieces of shit. They took it back, but since I didn't have the Original Receipt, I got the Credit back on a HF Gift Card.

euro911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 12 2013, 04:11 PM) *
Fuchin Harbor Freight Winch! headbang.gif - it never worked! AND I lost the receipt!! headbang.gif headbang.gif . Fortunately I called my Credit Card Co and they mailed me my Statement that showed my purchase. So I walk into HF and the girl says "Again?". Apparently someone who looks like me (poor asshat) has brought back 4 of these pieces of shit. They took it back, but since I didn't have the Original Receipt, I got the Credit back on a HF Gift Card.
I bought one of their 6000 lb winches (good deal when it was on sale) but I hooked it up to make sure prior to installing it.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2013, 12:13 PM) *

I built my single axle trailer back in the 90's, TC's is a straight axle and mine is a drop axle, so it's a bit lower.
IPB Image

I can see the line of cars back up on the freeway trying to get by this slow moving caravan !!!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.